New HDD doesn't show in Windows

U HAX0R

Gawd
I just received my new hard drive and something's wrong in Windows ...

First, some hardware details: Mobo: ASUS K8N-E DLX, CPU: Athlon 64 3000+, Old HD: Maxtor 6Y120M0 120GB Sata 1.5Gb/s 8MB cache, New HD.

Second, my old HD is on the SATA1 port on my mobo and the new is on SATA2 port. The four RAID one are empty. And I put the new HD jumper from 3 Gb/s to 1.5Gb/s.

Third, my old HD is partitioned in two, C:\ for Windows (duh) & D:\ for my various files.

Now the problem: My new hard drive doesn't show in Windows (XP Pro) ! I mean in the My computer it's not there, but it's there in the device manager and it seems to be working properly. It's also there in the BIOS. When I go in the Admin Tools > Comp. Management > Storage > Disk Management and I try to create a partition or whatever it doesn't work ... The disk is there and Online but I can't create a partition and it gives me error 11 in the system logs ... error 11 tells me to change my SATA cable ...

What I tried to fix the problem that didn't work:

- Change the SATA cable countless times
- Exchange SATA cable between hard drives (Cables are fine)
- Tried changing SATA ports on my mobo (Both SATA1 & 2 works with my old HD)
- Tried creating a partition with Partition Magic 8 (gives an error)

Don't know what else on the top of my head ..

So, how can I fix that ?

I tried some stuff like creating a partition with the ultimate boot cd and now I could see the drive in windows but windows didn't want to format it ... so I went back in the boot cd deleted the partition and after that ...

dbwillis said:
Change it back to 3gb/s mode ?

I did that and I can still see the drive in Windows but it still don't seems to format ... the formatting bar didn't move at all for like 10-15 minutes ...

edit: Format failed :mad:

And I just noticed that the hard drive makes a weird noise ... like
. . . . . tickticktick . . . . . tickticktick . . . . . it seems to be the same sound over and over .. and the HD light follow the sound, like those "tickticktick" happens in like a second so the light blink like 3 times in 1 second and then same thing like 5 seconds later ..

That's not normal right ? :(

What can I do now ? :confused: :(

typhoon43 said:
If you can get a drive letter out of it, run a CHKDSK /R on it ASAP.

The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. :/

Also it said that the disk only has 576000 KB ... :eek: :confused:

What do I do now ? :(

U HAX0R said:
That's not normal right ? :(

No it's not.

Any drive I've ever heard do that was junk. May well explain the unrecoverable errors.

---> RMA

TechLife said:
No it's not.

Any drive I've ever heard do that was junk. May well explain the unrecoverable errors.

---> RMA

Oh well ... shit happens.

I just sent an RMA request.

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

ticking noises are bad.. probably a bad hard drive...

for future reference, when you do add a new hard drive, it won't show up in my computer...

control panel
administrator tools
computer managment
disk management

find drive

right click

make partition->format

i don't know how many so called "nerds" i've had to walk through this on the phone...

Back