New info on 7900 series faults!!! - DEFECTIVE voltage regulators!

We would like to state beyond that post the following official statements:

1. EVGA has sold tens of thousands of 7900 GT Series cards since the launch. Because of this EVGA will not comprise even 1 customer being unhappy with his purchase of an EVGA product; that is why we have setup a special web page, making out bound calls, and offering direct cross-shipments with highly tested cards to those users who experienced some issues. We would like to share with you the RMA submission rate is 0.74% for all 7900 series.

They do appear to be busting their butts to make affected customers happy; most of us are getting overnight cross-shipping. However, I'm curious what their testing consists of, because there are people in various stages of rant or despair on the EVGA forums who have had to RMA one or more replacement cards because those failed too.

I'm on my first RMA and if this one fails, I will be considering an x1800/xt. EVGA's service has impressed me, and I want to support them, but I just don't have time and energy to be wasting on defects.

What link? I'm not referring to the [H]ard|OCP article. This was a post on their forum early last week by a staff member. (Probably EVGA_Marketing)

I personally think all of these figures are BS and are a part of the damage control machine at work. Not that I blame eVGA as that's probably what I'd be doing in their place... a looooooot of damage control.

As far as their customer support goes I cannot be happier with my experiences sofar. My replacement card is kickin' some major ass and I've REALLY been pushing it hard trying to get it to fail.

With my luck it will probably fail halfway through Half-Life: Episode 2. :D

pxc said:
If you read the link they break it down: "EVGA’s 7900GT Series total RMA rate is from 0.04%-1.9% per different SKU’s." The 0.74% RMA rate is for all 7900 cards, also explained in the link.

And oops on the math. It's 74 per 10,000 as corrected above. And EVGA definitely has a much higher defect rate than that, which is why I don't think vendor returns are counted in that RMA rate.

Well there's one thing about the alleged voltage regulator issue that puzzles me. Why should only hte memory be affected? Underclocking memory typically solves most of the problems the 7900 series cards suffer from, but core clocks seem to have little effect on anything. Shouldn't the core operation also suffer if there are power problems on the cards?

Hello,
I'd just like to add a comment about my MSI NX7900GT.
I've runned 3Dmark06 several times, the core temp stays at 39°C, I have no artifact or any other disagreement. After a few hours on Oblivion, I've seen no problem either.
ATItool found no artifact in a more than 250 min test.

Well, at least there's one 7900gt that seems to be working well :)

Yeah, mine has got some problems too with overheating before even 3dmark06 is done. I also can't really play any intense 3d games - I close out and... yeah. all the lovely signs of bad... at stock speeds. will probably RMA soon.

eVGA 7900gt KO btw.

i had to rma my brothers xfx 7900gt 520/1500 because it wouldnt play ANY game at low settings. it would artifact at stock speeds in every game, including freaking pinball :roofles:

however, my asus 7900gt 430/1350 runs perfectly, and runs great on his system at 520/1500

I hope it's not true....I really do....

If mine fails I will RMA it once.....if the replacement goes bad...bye bye to NV....hello ATI.

AndyHill said:
Well there's one thing about the alleged voltage regulator issue that puzzles me. Why should only hte memory be affected? Underclocking memory typically solves most of the problems the 7900 series cards suffer from, but core clocks seem to have little effect on anything. Shouldn't the core operation also suffer if there are power problems on the cards?

not sure, possibly different circuits ? this is the 5v regulator. Not sure if this is the case here, but 5v is the one they regulate down on mobos for the vdimm voltage. The temp issues sound like the H/S contact. I had an x800xt-pe that wouldn't clock more that 5mhz over stock and ran hot. I checked and the core was low in one corner, with the shim holding the h/s away. removed the shim, temps dropped, and ended up with a 90 mhz o-clock, b4 volt modding.

All I can say is all my cards worked fine until i went to 2560x 1600. The card is rated to do that and that is why i spent the money. I did not purchase a 30 inch monitor to play it at 24 inch resolutions. I cry fowl and want quad card replacements ...............period

Well if you pull that off, get a pair for me as well :) But when talking 3d apps in sli, we're not really stressing the cards much more than a single at 1600x1200. Another thing to note, is that the 7800 GTX/GT didn't have anywhere near these many probs at launch, no matter how much they try to play the #'s now.

Well I played GT Legends with my 7900gt and there was alot of artifacts and freezes, leading to a blue screen and nv4_disp errors(hell yea the nv4 loop again :p the issue is well known to ex-6600gters). I solved the problem sumply by deactivating the vsync.
What does it tell? That the drivers probably don't handle the vsync well on the 7900gt? Since I've done that, everything is ok.

How long before you guys started experiencing the problems? I have an XFX 7900GT Extreme (520/750) for a month now and no problems so far. I've played FEAR and TombRaider Legends several times over and no artifacting yet.

How do i check if mine's defective? Do i run 3DMark06 for an entire day or something?

When I received mine last tuesday, I ran 3dmark 06 for awhile with no issues, and played F.E.A.R for couple of hours (0AA 16 AF) no shadows. I haven't played much since then. Then today I did some F.E.A.R testing for another thread at 2560x1600. I tested all the FSAA and AF settings with and without shadows, after testing the higher detail combos, exiting to desktop produced large black areas and a slowly flashing image that required rebooting. Switched to the 91.31 driver, and ran some of the fear tests again, this time in the higher settings artifacting started. Switched back to the old driver, and everything is still borked, so I lost at least one of the cards. After less than 8 hours in 3d, only five minutes of that was o-clocked. The only reason I posted it in this thread was that mine used a completely diff brand of voltage regulator as mentioned earlier. So if this is a prob., there are others as well with the 79xx series

FragMagnet said:
When I received mine last tuesday, I ran 3dmark 06 for awhile with no issues, and played F.E.A.R for couple of hours (0AA 16 AF) no shadows. I haven't played much since then. Then today I did some F.E.A.R testing for another thread at 2560x1600. I tested all the FSAA and AF settings with and without shadows, after testing the higher detail combos, exiting to desktop produced large black areas and a slowly flashing image that required rebooting. Switched to the 91.31 driver, and ran some of the fear tests again, this time in the higher settings artifacting started. Switched back to the old driver, and everything is still borked, so I lost at least one of the cards. After less than 8 hours in 3d, only five minutes of that was o-clocked. The only reason I posted it in this thread was that mine used a completely diff brand of voltage regulator as mentioned earlier. So if this is a prob., there are others as well with the 79xx series

I had to RMA my 7900gtx sli setup and experienced the very same thing, worked great for awhile then the flashing, dots, etc after FEAR and 3Dmark06. I am so frustrated with this situation after getting rid of my 7800 KO setup that NEVER gave me any problems that I didn't even bother to open the other RMA sent to me. I went ahead and did the EVGA stepup program to the 7950gx2 hopefully none of the bugs will exist in those cards.

Yeah it was the secondary card, I swapped them including the power cables and ran it hard without sli, and it is definatly the card. I will call tom, and hopefully Dell will air one out for monday. Once it's confirmed I'll torture the remaining one and see if it gives up. AA seemed to do it for this card, I really wonder how many people who don't have issues with these, actualy use them at high res, max settings to test ?

Back