New Intel Q9450 (2.66Ghz) CPU Idle Temp Equiry

viol37

n00b
Hey there guys,

Today I managed to get my hands on a new Intel Q9450 and upgraded from my old Q6600.

I'm a little concerned at the idle temp of my Q9450.

I'm using a Zalman 9700NT pure copper cooler my average idle temp for my Q6600 running at a stock speed of 2.4Ghz was ranging from 30 to 34.

I assumed with the Q9450 that considering that it is based on 45nm wafer that it would run cooler therefore my idle temps would be lower that what I was achieving with my Q6600 but my current idle temp for the Q9450 ranges from 38 to 40.

Does this sound about right to you guys?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Vio|37

Hey there guys,

Today I managed to get my hands on a new Intel Q9450 and upgraded from my old Q6600.

I'm a little concerned at the idle temp of my Q9450.

I'm using a Zalman 9700NT pure copper cooler my average idle temp for my Q6600 running at a stock speed of 2.4Ghz was ranging from 30 to 34.

I assumed with the Q9450 that considering that it is based on 45nm wafer that it would run cooler therefore my idle temps would be lower that what I was achieving with my Q6600 but my current idle temp for the Q9450 ranges from 38 to 40.

Does this sound about right to you guys?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Vio|37

Yeah, thats about where ive been hovering around, granted i am at 3.2GHZ already.

It really depends on the program, ive got one program telling me 26C and another 30C and another 38C.... lol just use the BIOS

Where did you manage to get ahold of one of these at? Anyone try a max OC yet? I want to know if these can hit 3.6 - 3.8. I'm worried the 8x multiplier may be to low for that :(

Oh, yea I found one of those on lagoom.com for a decent price. Cosidering I have my Xeon 3110 at 4.1 ghz, Ill hold off until I see how well these things overclock :)

::updated sig::

RussianHAXOR

I always use the BIOS when it comes to measuring CPU temps.

This morning I checked the idle temp and found that it was sitting on 35, which ain't bad.

I just assumed that less voltage, would mean lower temps but I was wrong but it's OK.

Vio|37

I have a 9650 and see high temps also, thought it would be lower but at it's stock 3.0 my cores idle around 45c using everest to check. Yet in the bios it never reads above 26-27c. My old Q6600 would idle around 35 and top off at 58-60 and that was at 3.6.

From what I have read, the core temps that you can get from within windows are much more accurate than the bios reading.

When googling for 45nm quad temps there seems to be a lot of people with odd temp readings. I posted over at Lavalys/Everest to see if there is any known issue with the temp measurements, or perhaps an incompatibility with certain bios's. Or just by looking at the funky beveled heat spreader they have, perhaps there are some bowed/convex top problems.

Hi Brian,

I'm going to download Everest and give that a go to see what sort of temps I'm achieving.

Vio|37

I imagine it suffers from the same temp reading problem as the E8400's, no?

Thanks Rax, I am trying Real Temp and it seems to work well with Vista X64.

The readings are much more believable than Everest, it just makes no sense that a q6600 at 3.6 @ 1.44vcore would be cooler than a qx9650 at stock 3.0 @ less than 1.2vcore.

But is it correct? The folks at Everest don't even seem to want to admit there could be an error, the moderator seems informed but less than forthcoming with information. I love their software and would really like to be able to believe it is reading correctly. My thread is here if anyone with more knowledge in the subject would like to chime in to them that there may be an issue as I don't know enough to dispute their last post "EVEREST uses 95C or 105C, depending on the Tjmax bit of MSR 0xEE register".

http://www.lavalys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3071

Back