New iPod software...2006-01-10

HighwayAssassins

Supreme [H]ardness
For those of you who got a new iPod nano or 5G "iPod with video" for christmass, grab the new update which fixes some bugs...

Hell, grab it even if you didnt get one for christmass, or if you have an older model.

Apple said:
iPod Updater 2006-01-10 includes iPod Software 1.1 for the new iPod, new iPod Software 1.1 for iPod nano, new iPod Software 1.2.1 for iPod with color display, new iPod Software 1.4.1 for iPod mini, and new iPod Software 3.1.1 for iPod with Click Wheel. iPod Updater 2006-01-10 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-11-17 for all other iPod models.

What's new in iPod Updater 2006-01-10:

• Support for the iPod Radio Remote for iPod with video and iPod nano
  • Bug fixes for iPod with video, iPod nano, iPod with color display, iPod mini, and iPod with Click Wheel

Things I've noticed from update:

- Smoother from going from one thing to another
- Holding the 'Menu' button sends you to the beginning of the menu trees rather than backlight turn-off (which I prefer because my backlight is on for 5/10 seconds anyway)
- A little less laggy when using something like games

All-in-all, it's respectable

anybody else get the 'doesnt turn off' issue w/ the Videos? and if thats fixed in this update? its starting to piss me off.. (it sometimes doesnt turn off when holding play after playing a video or looking at photos or if i havent played any music yet)

Mine freezes up quite a bit. I wonder if this will help at all. I wish it wasn't so easy to scratch. Its a month old, always in its case or skin and its beat to hell.

TSS Modder said:
anybody else get the 'doesnt turn off' issue w/ the Videos? and if thats fixed in this update? its starting to piss me off.. (it sometimes doesnt turn off when holding play after playing a video or looking at photos or if i havent played any music yet)
That shit drove me fucking crazy. I only noticed it after videos like you said. I tested it last night, it wont turn off during a movie (WTF?) but it seems that it will turn off if you hit menu to turn the video off.

But yea, that bug pissed me off too.

HighwayAssassins said:
That shit drove me fucking crazy. I only noticed it after videos like you said. I tested it last night, it wont turn off during a movie (WTF?) but it seems that it will turn off if you hit menu to turn the video off.

its on and off for me. sometimes it will turn off, but most of the time it wont. yours still doing it, too?

im gonna get this update installed shortly, then see what happens.

TSS Modder said:
its on and off for me. sometimes it will turn off, but most of the time it wont. yours still doing it, too?

im gonna get this update installed shortly, then see what happens.
no, it seems to work now that i have applied the update.

HighwayAssassins said:

This could have been done on purpose by Apple. Because the Video, the HDD, the backlight, the encoder, and all that good stuff is running at the same time, they don't want you to shut the iPod off suddenly and cause a failure in the encoding software.

That is my opinion and it makes sense for them to not want their produts to fail. It would be even more of a pain in the ass if the encoder died and you had to put all your videos and music back on after you restored the iPod software everyday after accidentally shutting off in the middle of the movie.

DeadlyAura said:
This could have been done on purpose by Apple. Because the Video, the HDD, the backlight, the encoder, and all that good stuff is running at the same time, they don't want you to shut the iPod off suddenly and cause a failure in the encoding software.

That is my opinion and it makes sense for them to not want their produts to fail. It would be even more of a pain in the ass if the encoder died and you had to put all your videos and music back on after you restored the iPod software everyday after accidentally shutting off in the middle of the movie.

The ipod is not doing any decoding at all, when it is playing a video.

it is decoding. There is no writing going on (unless you count output to the vide memory)

My iPod turned off fine while playing videos.

Anyone else notice that the backlight now stays on when you are playing a video?

KaosDG said:
The ipod is not doing any decoding at all, when it is playing a video.

it is decoding. There is no writing going on (unless you count output to the vide memory)

My iPod turned off fine while playing videos.

Anyone else notice that the backlight now stays on when you are playing a video?

I meant decoding the video, not encoding. However, I didn't know that some did allow shut off.

So when are they going to fix the bug with the shuffle where it skips to the next track instead of resuming after pause? This happens with some tracks from ITMS... :mad:

Back