new ipods?

gigglebyte

2[H]4U
been seeing some rumors around that there might be a new release on the ipod minis...lets see what happens tomorrow

i really doubt this is true, the mini is doing so well they'll wait a while before releasing another version

watch me be wrong though

shocksyde said:
i really doubt this is true, the mini is doing so well they'll wait a while before releasing another version

watch me be wrong though
well of course youre wrong :p

this rumor is almost completely confirmed. and the minis are overdue for an update anyways.

i, for one, and very anxious to see these new minis, because ive been dying to get an iPod for cheap w/ more capacity and a color screen.

now if only they were 8-10gb.... come on apple!! :mad:

5 or 6 gig, more than likely 6 according to the rumor mill. Also, they're supposed to announce that they will be doing away with all monochrome screens, for all versions. And new colors too.

I'm hoping it's tomorrow also. I'm getting a mini for my wife, and I want to get it already, but I'm waiting for the new line.

every major site is saying tomorrow, and apple has halted shipping times on existing ipods, so, all signs point to yes :)

Damnit. I got $200 in BestBuy gift cards burnin a hole in my pocket. They'll prolly release them tommorrow, and it'll be 3 months before they make it to the retail stores....

Well the Apple front page is showing new minis (4gb and 6gb)

as well as new iPod photos. (30 & 60gb)

Not as exciting as I was expecting, but still a 30gb photopod might be a worthy investment for me. (my 15gb 3rd gen is pretty beat up )

KaosDG said:
Well the Apple front page is showing new minis (4gb and 6gb)

as well as new iPod photos. (30 & 60gb)

Not as exciting as I was expecting, but still a 30gb photopod might be a worthy investment for me. (my 15gb 3rd gen is pretty beat up )

$150 price drop on 60 GB iPod photo
$50 drop on 4 GB minis

chew63 said:
$150 price drop on 60 GB iPod photo
$50 drop on 4 GB minis

Yeah, I just bought an iPod mini last week. I'm perfectly happy with the 4gb one, and when I called Apple (1-800-MY-APPLE) they were more than happy to refund me the $50 difference in price since I had just bought it. Nice.

Price on an iPod Mini 4gig with Educational discount is $179 now, mmm.

-Jeff

shocksyde said:

watch me be wrong though

Never doubt Gigglebyte!! He DOES work for Apple... :p :D

Mr.Dearthian

The price drops come courtesy of several accesories being unbundled (i.e. no charger in the 4GB mini). Smart marketing move by Apple, but I'll hold on to my 3G and wait for a real update.

Well they fixed the iPod Photo. They now have a device to hook up your camera via usb for $29. Works with the old photo too, but not until March. They killed the 40G

Rumor mill has it that the new iPod Photo is missing a few things in the box, namely:

a FireWire cable
an AV cable
a dock
a carrying case

WTF?!?

doesn't look like a rumor to me....just checked the store and it looks like there is only Earphones, AC Adapter and USB cable

new 6gb out, 30gb photo, and almost all prices down $50! wish i had waited to buy one!

maybe it's not 'more stuff out of the box' but rather focus groups showing people aren't using it, when the 3g first came out i had a myrid of issues with the dock and stopped using it all together (a firmware update fixed it, but i still don't use the damn thing but on the house stereo).

now apple has an ipod for pretty much every consumer.

$99 * $139 * $179 * $229 * $269 * $319 * $419

that pretty much is every price point i see consumers realistically being able to hit, which is a pretty smart move... and app on the 60gb photo means... well... very tempting... too tempting... *runs off and buys

-esr

duh... who wouldn't use the educational discount at the least? who doesn't know someone in college or who has a kid that goes to highschool? i speek of it as common place as i should hope it is such, that people try and figure out how to get the best deals and go for it, especially in places like this forum, i go further, but that's a tougher option.

-esr

technically for the edu discount the person buying it has to be in college and the only way the highschool angle works is if you work for the school or are a member of the PTA...in reality the discounts aren't THAT big and Apple isn't that strict on them but they DO check from time to time and if it can't be verified that you are an EDU customer....you will be getting a bill :eek:

esr2 said:
maybe it's not 'more stuff out of the box' but rather focus groups showing people aren't using it, when the 3g first came out i had a myrid of issues with the dock and stopped using it all together (a firmware update fixed it, but i still don't use the damn thing but on the house stereo).

now apple has an ipod for pretty much every consumer.

$99 * $139 * $179 * $229 * $269 * $319 * $419

that pretty much is every price point i see consumers realistically being able to hit, which is a pretty smart move... and app on the 60gb photo means... well... very tempting... too tempting... *runs off and buys

-esr

Right.. Apple in turn gets more profit out of the ipod mini by reducing the # of included accessories. What group focusing? More like rip off.. :mad:

Oh another note, I am glad that apple decided not to include a color screen on the ipod min.. Why? The color screen will consume more power and therefore reduce the battery life...

jag009 said:
Right.. Apple in turn gets more profit out of the ipod mini by reducing the # of included accessories. What group focusing? More like rip off.. :mad:

Oh another note, I am glad that apple decided not to include a color screen on the ipod min.. Why? The color screen will consume more power and therefore reduce the battery life...

hhhuummm....less things to include....less cost associated with the product....price drop for end user...where does that equal more profit and a rip off? personally I would never use the dock or case that came with them so the FW cable is the only thing I would be torqued about but all new Macs come with USB 2.0 so it shouldn't be an issue

gigglebyte said:
hhhuummm....less things to include....less cost associated with the product....price drop for end user...where does that equal more profit and a rip off? personally I would never use the dock or case that came with them so the FW cable is the only thing I would be torqued about but all new Macs come with USB 2.0 so it shouldn't be an issue

The mini no longer comes with the battery charger.

gigglebyte said:

Oops sorry I meant the 6gig version... $50 for an extra 2 gig (the 4 & 6 gig differs only in the HD capacity right?), isn't that a rip off?

jag009 said:
Oops sorry I meant the 6gig version... $50 for an extra 2 gig (the 4 & 6 gig differs only in the HD capacity right?), isn't that a rip off?

again...where is the rip off? I didn't find a price for the 6gig micro drives that are used (didn't look too hard either) but if you look at the difference between a 2 and a 4 gig micro drive there is a $60 difference...also look at the difference between the 20gig 4G and the 6Gig mini....what is the price difference there?? $50 and then you are getting 3x the storage...the company has to make money and the only way that is going to happen is by selling product and making a profit...I have my own business and I can assure you that if we sold our stuff for cost we would go out of business REAL quick but we also do what we can to reduce overhead and keep our prices down...if you really think it is a rip off go see what else is offered out there for the same price...see what the warranty is...see what the quality is and then compare to the ipod...you DO get what you pay for

gigglebyte said:
again...where is the rip off? I didn't find a price for the 6gig micro drives that are used (didn't look too hard either) but if you look at the difference between a 2 and a 4 gig micro drive there is a $60 difference...also look at the difference between the 20gig 4G and the 6Gig mini....what is the price difference there?? $50 and then you are getting 3x the storage...the company has to make money and the only way that is going to happen is by selling product and making a profit...I have my own business and I can assure you that if we sold our stuff for cost we would go out of business REAL quick but we also do what we can to reduce overhead and keep our prices down...if you really think it is a rip off go see what else is offered out there for the same price...see what the warranty is...see what the quality is and then compare to the ipod...you DO get what you pay for

You dont call this rip off?
AC adapter ($29) and firewire cable ($19) are no longer available with the new ipod mini.
Okay so the difference in $50 accounts for the cost of the 2 gig increase between the 4g and 6g ipod. 4g sells for $199 now so the reduction in price is due to the removal of AC the adaptor and firewire cable? So the ipod mini 4g is not really disounted at all. The discount = removal of accessories. Okay I will give you that there might be extra cost for the new longer life battery...

But then who am I to argue since the ipod is v popular and people will line up to buy one anyway...

I really don't understand it... Many people are complaining about Apple's "our way or the highway" ideas, and when they actually allow customers to choose what they want, and more importantly what they don't want, people are whining about that instead. What's up with that? If you already have an iPod, and don't need an additional charger, what are you going to do with it? Sell it on Ebay? No, better then to leave the decision if you should get a charger or not to the customer.

and the thing is you don't even NEED a charger...just a high powered USB 2 port...I have the power adapter for my 4G and have NEVER used it...I just plug it into my comp (PC or Mac) and I am fine

gigglebyte said:
and the thing is you don't even NEED a charger...just a high powered USB 2 port...I have the power adapter for my 4G and have NEVER used it...I just plug it into my comp (PC or Mac) and I am fine

I've only ever used it for flashing the firmware and assuming they did away with that I no longer need it. I actually managed to get a $50 refund on my iPod mini that I bought a week before the new ones came out even though mine came with the AC adapter and the firewire cable (and, for that matter, a better color blue! :))

-Jeff

Since I don't have a computer of my own, let alone one in my room, I generally use the charger for my iPod... So I guess I'm one of those people who would've paid a little extra. Big fucking deal. :rolleyes: Even if the iPod mini didn't get a lot cheaper, it got a lot better battery time and a little cheaper. Where would the outrage have been if they hadn't upgraded them at all? ;)

I'd much rather pay less and get less stuff in the box.
It's like $100-150 cheaper.
The case that's typically included sucks, so you'll end up spending $20-30 on a decent case anyways.
The firewire cable is optional, and I have usb2.0 so no biggie there.
The dock I wouldn't end up using.
The AV cables are like $20 as well.

So really I'd be saving $80-130 on the new iPod photos.

I don't think the lack of accessories is such a big deal for most people if they really look at what they'll "Use".

So, what are us older Powerbook users supposed to do that only have USB1.0 and Firewire?

Isn't charging through USB SLOOOOW? :confused:

-Matt

Cobreth said:
So, what are us older Powerbook users supposed to do that only have USB1.0 and Firewire?

Isn't charging through USB SLOOOOW? :confused:

-Matt

youre supposed to buy a new powerbook, DUH.

:D

Back