New IT job, need advice

cismajor97

Weaksauce
I just started a new position at a great company. For the past few years I've just been working with basic desktop support in a non-networked environment. Now I've just seen the other side of the fence and I'm at a place where there are cisco routers and switches, fiber optics, blade servers, you name they probably have it.

My issue is that I don't have experience with any of that stuff, and I kind of feel out of place because everyone else know's how to use that stuff but me. I'm sure the manager has a good reason to have hired me and hopefully I'll pick up the material pretty fast but I've never been a network guy.

What suggestions can you guys provide me with tips on how to get up to speed on learning networking. I mean I can't even make my own cable, and there was a chance to learn but I had to shadow someone else...

for the cabling, protocols, routing and switching, wan, internet, very basic wifi and security side of things i would be looking to get some books and/or a training course through work or get yourself onto the cisco network academy to cover off comptia network+ and/or the cisco ccna. you could also look to do something similar for the microsoft desktop and server operating systems.

what it sounds like you really need though is a basic lab at home to play around with. routers and switches can be grabbed quite cheaply through ebay - couple of basic 2600 routers and 2950 switches will do the trick. you can often buy kits that come with all the cables, modules, rack mount kits, ios and a bit of free tech support. what you also want to look to invest in is a reasonably powerful pc - a basic dual-core cpu, couple of hard drives, tons of memory and basic on-board graphics. alternatively if you want to play around with 'proper' server hardware, older dual-cpu servers with scsi disks, and tons of memory can also be grabbed off ebay for not a huge amount of cash - be aware though, it will be like having a jet fighter in your spare room! chuck vmware server (free) onto it and then either get hold of trials copies of software from m$ or see if your work has something like a technet subscription. in the vmware environment you can setup an entire network virtually inside your pc - i'm doing this right now!

i think the best piece of advice is to listen when people try and show you things, never ever be a smart arse 'know-it-all', and never be afraid to ask questions. these forums are a *fantastic* resource with some seriously experienced and helpful people, i for one am very grateful for all the guidance it has provided me over the years!

hope this helps, any more questions - just shout! good luck! :)

What did they hire you for? End-user support? Server support (OS configuration, etc.)?

Typically what you'll see in larger companies is that they'll have strictly "x" guys doing a job. X being a router, switch, firewall, systems support. If they want you to learn the ins and out of the network environment, then talk to your co-workers. If possible, take classes on networking that deals with Cisco equipment and basic networking in general. Try to learn as much as possible as you can from whatever source you can.

If you're on a budget, I'd go with what evan said. Atomiser has a point too, though (but you're looking at 2 or 3 thousand dollars). If this is a job you want to make permanent and grow into, try to see if you can enroll in night classes and get your A+, Network+, CCNA, etc. For CCNA it only takes one year if they set up the classes for half-semesters, and the knowledge you gain is tremendous. I just finished mine last night actually, and I'll take the cert in a few weeks. I'm already looking for CCNP materials now, but I won't be taking the actual classes anytime soon. But you probably should look at A+ and Network+ first, for basics, then work your way up.

Either way, read and learn! Set up networking diagrams and layouts, break things and fix them (probably not a good idea with hardware, but hey if you know how to solder, go for it LOL). Oh and see if you can get a copy of office and some OSes to work on. Learn them front and back, and their nuances (especially the nuances). If you can set up a few computers at work (extras) then set up server OSes to experiment with.

One big thing that seems to separate the boys from the men is understand when you have a toy, and understanding when you don't. Never overclock or tweak someone else's stuff. You have to learn how your users are in terms of software setup (if they have the option), but on the hardware side, if an admin finds something faster than it should be, you may lose your job. Your own desktop may or may not matter, but anything else is off limits. That's just a basic concept of what we do and don't do.

Hey, it's a new and exciting job, and it sounds like your moving up in the world! Have fun! Once you start picking up networking concepts, things will start clicking and you'll start seeing the big picture :)

What suggestions can you guys provide me with tips on how to get up to speed on learning networking. I mean I can't even make my own cable, and there was a chance to learn but I had to shadow someone else...

Honestly...nothing beats "hands on". It's hard to make a thread on this topic...because the issues you come across will be widespread...can't be covered all in one thread. As you approach each issue...you'll learn the answer as you jump each hurtle. Google, a few good tech forums....one by one you'll start building your experience.

Google and hands-on experience is the best. Ask questions from people who know what they are doing, get the to show you, not just tell you. I first started with old computers that I got from my school and I wrecked them and screwed them up and wasn't afraid of trying anything since they were free and it was a good way to learn. I learnt alot that way, and through just figuring it out yourself. I wouldn't play around with stuff at work, but if you can get your hands on stuff like that for at home, would be a great way to learn. Get copies of OS's, *legally* :D, and don't be afraid to mess up things, and see what they do. Can always do a format and reload and try again if need be. I started about 4 years ago, when I was 14 and I'm already A+ and MCP certified, and not even done high school yet. Hands-on and getting dirty is the best way to learn I say. Good Luck.

Aside from the vast resource that is the internet, pick up a Network+ book. Maybe even a CCNA book.

EDIT:

Acid Rain suggested starting possibly with A+, which might be a good idea. You'll likely find it very easy and almost trivial (anyone with a few years experience would), so you can easily self-study, get the certification, and move on to another cert.

You mean they didn't teach this stuff while you were studying for your CIS major? Hmmmm....

If I were you, I'd start by reading a book on TCP/IP.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm at a small company that has no IT support other than a contracted individual. I know desktops backwards & forwards, but I've got very limited experience with servers and networking. I've been given the opportunity to move into the IT support role, but I've got no one at work that can lead me down the right path other than Mr. Internet.

I'm looking for training to get me up to speed, and I'm thinking about going after Network+ as a start, then some sort of MS server training.

How important is A+? It looks basic, and I don't know how much training my company is going to be willing to pay for.

best advice i can give is ask everyone questions. if you see someone do something you don't understand, ask them what they're doing and why. don't overdo it so they never talk to you, but when i started in the field, i had no network experience either. but i asked questions and did my best to learn how things worked so I could figure out similar situations on my own in the future. also, if they have a lab that is at your disposal, USE IT. can't stress enough how important hands-on experience is. books can give you good information, but until you learn how to use it, it means nothing.

also, as far as lab work goes, i like to configure something, then change things here and there just to see how it all reacts and how things break. it gives me a much better idea of how something works when i can break and fix something on-demand.

i live and die by the "For Dummies" books... pick a few up and get to reading.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm at a small company that has no IT support other than a contracted individual. I know desktops backwards & forwards, but I've got very limited experience with servers and networking. I've been given the opportunity to move into the IT support role, but I've got no one at work that can lead me down the right path other than Mr. Internet.

I'm looking for training to get me up to speed, and I'm thinking about going after Network+ as a start, then some sort of MS server training.

How important is A+? It looks basic, and I don't know how much training my company is going to be willing to pay for.

A+ is completely useless for anything above working as a tech in some computer repair shop. In the field of IT, you are far better off getting the Server+ as a lot of vendors are beginning to require it as a prerequisite for servicing their machines.

If you want a certification that will get you good jobs, chicks, drugs, and sex, then look no further than Cisco. Juniper certs are climbing in reputation, as well. The CCNA is a far better cert than it used to be, with many corporations requiring it of their operational IT staff. The CCNP and beyond is really where the money is at, though.

You mean they didn't teach this stuff while you were studying for your CIS major? Hmmmm....

If I were you, I'd start by reading a book on TCP/IP.

I've yet to meet a CIS major that knew anything from coursework other than how to write an sql query. I actually took a sr. level class when i was in business school as an elective called IT infrastructure... it was worthless as well. Hence the reason, everybody i interview i could care less about what degree they have, certs, experience, and finishing my quiz reigns supreme... Hotshots fresh of a information systems degree are utterly worthless in any type of network/systems administration positions... unless of course they have learned the material outside of class.

All you need is money for whatever books you buy, and money to purchase the two exam vouchers. A+ designed courses tend to run $4,000+, but if you self-study you'll spend about $400 total.

If you want a certification that will get you good jobs, chicks, drugs, and sex, then look no further than Cisco.
CCNA certification's are equivalent to a Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari... it's how us IT guys bag perfect 10's.

CCNA certification's are equivalent to a Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari... it's how us IT guys bag perfect 10's.

I'd equate it more to a BMW (Honda for MCSE). I have my CCNA and certainly don't live a glamorous life, although it's relatively comfortable and I don't have to worry about bread on my table the next day. Pursuing my CCNP as I know that's what will set me aside from the heydays from when CCNA was the "hot thing."

How widely used is Cisco in industry? I'm not exactly in a IT hotbed, so I would hate to become certified in something that is useless in my area of the world.

How widely used is Cisco in industry? I'm not exactly in a IT hotbed, so I would hate to become certified in something that is useless in my area of the world.

lol where do you live? remember Cisco routers also run the internet

imagine what would happen if Cisco equipment was to all the sudden disappear? the world would probably fall apart with it so Cisco is pretty important

remember Cisco routers also run the internet

strictly speaking routers... i'd guesstimate (no flaming, just a guess based on my own experiences) that juniper has a larger foothold in the backbone. in terms of local networks, cisco has a much larger foothold. biggest thing for cisco is they buy out everyone, so they have products for all pieces of the network (routers, switches, firewalls, ids, vpn, load-balancers, etc) and then they give everyone discounts for using their stuff exclusively.

all in all, yes, cisco isn't going away anytime soon.

they sold 28 billion last year and had like 45billion in assets (according to forbes)... it's an extremely large company that dominates data centers everywhere. any serious networking probably involves cisco, and if it's not cisco, it's a mimic of cisco... so a ccna should do you well no matter what you end up working with.

Of all network gear sold, Cisco accounts for approximately 75% of it.

strictly speaking routers... i'd guesstimate (no flaming, just a guess based on my own experiences) that juniper has a larger foothold in the backbone. in terms of local networks, cisco has a much larger foothold. biggest thing for cisco is they buy out everyone, so they have products for all pieces of the network (routers, switches, firewalls, ids, vpn, load-balancers, etc) and then they give everyone discounts for using their stuff exclusively.

all in all, yes, cisco isn't going away anytime soon.

I work for an ISP and we use ZyXEL, Juniper and Cirpaq, no Cisco.
In my mind Cisco gets more credit that due, because of their CCNA, CCNP, CCIE ect.
But Juniper certifications (if you care about certifications) like JNCIA and JNCIS are becooming more accepted and getting more credit in the "public" mind.

I work for an ISP and we use ZyXEL, Juniper and Cirpaq, no Cisco.
In my mind Cisco gets more credit that due, because of their CCNA, CCNP, CCIE ect.
But Juniper certifications (if you care about certifications) like JNCIA and JNCIS are becooming more accepted and getting more credit in the "public" mind.

yeah, i want to get at least my jncia and ccna, but i think i'm going to go for my masters first.

Back