New kid in town

That's why I keep my piddly 5 GPUs running 24/7 and don't actually mind getting the crappy points WUs. ( Even though I cry a little when I see them! ) :eek:

Welcome back to the Atlas man, the rest of us bow to your presence.

Well, if SMP is what your looking to do, 4P is still an option, just don't run bigadv on it.

Power wise it would be better, and the rig(s) would scream through the WU.

13,000 watts? Holy crap that's more juice than a standard home is even wired for (at 120v you're looking at ~108.3 amps!) Where do you run this? If at home do you have 200A service?

I have the racks at my business. I had three 3-phase power pulled into the server room for this purpose. I then bought 3-phase power distribution strips from APC that break the three legs of the 3-phase power into single phase for the racks.

The electrician thought I was crazy pulling that much power into my little server closet and he told me so. IIRC each of the three 3-phase lines is on a 60A breaker.

Atlas

I have the racks at my business. I had three 3-phase power pulled into the server room for this purpose. I then bought 3-phase power distribution strips from APC that break the three legs of the 3-phase power into single phase for the racks.

The electrician thought I was crazy pulling that much power into my little server closet and he told me so. IIRC each of the three 3-phase lines is on a 60A breaker.

Atlas

In his defense 3phase power for a closet is rather crazy ;)

At work we have 3phase for our chain motors for hoisting large heavy things inti the air.

3 phase 120? at 60A that is an enormous resistive load.... LOL you might even shift the Power Factor of the grid a little bit....

I work on and around 3 Phase 450V... mean stuff... don't get bit, it hurts really bad.

3 phase 120? at 60A that is an enormous resistive load.... LOL you might even shift the Power Factor of the grid a little bit....

I work on and around 3 Phase 450V... mean stuff... don't get bit, it hurts really bad.

I am pretty sure his power supplies are Power Factor Corrected (PFC) otherwise that farm would be pulling way more than 13KW lol.

Hey there Atlasfolder!!

Im ROC, I've always been a big fan of your farm/output! Back in the GPU days I clearly remember Leganfuh and your name. Anyways glad to see you onboard with [H]. Would really love to see what overhaul you would do ;-)

AssM@N/ROC

Wow, nice to see ROC making an appearance...<grin> You can always make a comeback yourself too, ya know! :)

Hey there Atlasfolder!!

Im ROC, I've always been a big fan of your farm/output! Back in the GPU days I clearly remember Leganfuh and your name. Anyways glad to see you onboard with [H]. Would really love to see what overhaul you would do ;-)

AssM@N/ROC

Hey ROC, of course I remember you too! I took a break but couldn't stay gone. :) Glad you stopped by. When are you going to get back in the game?

Atlas Folder

We always ask him that. Then his vanishes back into the mist.

ROC, even if you don't fold on anything, stick around. It is good to have ya.

Hey all!!

I won't be folding any time soon. None the less, its still very warming for people to say hi despite I stopped folding some time ago.. :cool::D:cool::D

Kendrak:
I'd post more if I know more about modern folding, unfortunately I don't. Hence I just drop by saying hi/welcome to old schools/big timers

ROC, even if you don't fold on anything, stick around. It is good to have ya.

I agree.

Just hang out now and then.

We won't be all clingy and needy and require you to do anything. Not even fold the laundry.

Good to see you back in the fold, understand completely your desire to stay on the gpu/smp side of the fence. However.... :)

If you sold the GX2's on ebay you could buy GTX460's for around the same price, and the 295's would get you around the same price as a GTX470 in replacement. You could lower your heat/aircon costs dramatically and your power draw by about 40% or more.

Code:
Type	Cards	GPUs	PPD/GPU	PPD/Total
9800GX2	32	64	5000	320000
GTX295	25	50	8000	400000

GTX460	32	32	15000	480000
GTX470	25	25	18000	450000

Last edited:
Well it's more complicated than that when you're in my shoes. Really.

First, I won't lie, GPU folding on this scale is a jolly pain in the ass. Doubling down on it for what would be another three+ years is a daunting prospect. Witness this, a fragment of my farm in HFM from just now (click for full size):

Yes, your plan would reduce that ^, but I have it in-hand and it pulls about 500k ppd.

The truth is, high end hobbyist folders are pushed rather vigorously toward SMP/bigadv and have been for a couple of years. I still fold on the GPUs because I have them and I care about the research performed there.

I currently have an SR-2 bigadv folder and am working on my first 4P rig. I will gradually shift to where PG is pressuring me to go; at some point a few months or years hence the GPU farm won't be worth maintaining at this level. I will break it down and piecemeal the parts to other smaller-scale (but no less important) folders who will put them to use. That will make me happy. :)

Atlas

supertrooper.jpg

Well it's more complicated than that when you're in my shoes. Really.

First, I won't lie, GPU folding on this scale is a jolly pain in the ass. Doubling down on it for what would be another three+ years is a daunting prospect. Witness this, a fragment of my farm in HFM from just now (click for full size):

Yes, your plan would reduce that ^, but I have it in-hand and it pulls about 500k ppd.

The truth is, high end hobbyist folders are pushed rather vigorously toward SMP/bigadv and have been for a couple of years. I still fold on the GPUs because I have them and I care about the research performed there.

I currently have an SR-2 bigadv folder and am working on my first 4P rig. I will gradually shift to where PG is pressuring me to go; at some point a few months or years hence the GPU farm won't be worth maintaining at this level. I will break it down and piecemeal the parts to other smaller-scale (but no less important) folders who will put them to use. That will make me happy. :)

Atlas

Understand completely, always been in awe of your achievements both on the folding and hardware front.

I was not meaning to demean the effort or complexity of your setup, just proposing a solution that could keep you on track current in terms of clients, increase your output by 50% whilst decreasing your monthly costs by 40-50% with little to no capital outlay.

However I do understand what a huge effort it would be to make the changes I suggest, so completely understand where you are coming from.

I too fold both on gpu, smp and bigadv. Nowhere near your level of hardware/power commitment, and I know just to get in and change a single dead gpu is a PITA.

Full credit to you man for getting back into the saddle again, and sincerely I am sorry to hear your dad, and your family are having such a hard time of it with the Huntington's :(

notworthy.jpg

Understand completely, always been in awe of your achievements both on the folding and hardware front.

I was not meaning to demean the effort or complexity of your setup, just proposing a solution that could keep you on track current in terms of clients, increase your output by 50% whilst decreasing your monthly costs by 40-50% with little to no capital outlay.

Oh, it's not a big deal. I didn't feel demeaned or anything. :) I'm just stating my reasons.

I appreciate that people think about ways to improve or lower the costs on my farm, it's flattering to me. Thanks.

Atlas

Good to see Atlas on the team. I might have to get back on board soon.

How do you get those specific WUs? ( 7700-7712 ) on your GPUs? I haven't seen any of them roll through my 470 GTX.

he doesnt get just them. He runs GPUs because that is the only place he can get the units he wants,

the units may also be GPU2 units, whereas the 470 you have should be GPU3 units IIRC

Actually the WUs that benefit Huntington's directly are SMP. But the gpu WUs in general do research related to HD. Bigadv only works on influenza at present. It's important research too of course, but not close to my heart like HD.

And like anyone else I can't specify the WUs I want. :-/

Atlas

Okay that's what I thought, was just making sure.

Back