New laptop. 5-600 USD. Any ideas?

Ayoralyn

Limp Gawd
Thought I would ask here for advice on a new laptop. Power usage, battery time, and monitor size would probably be the most important things for me. Stability of course too.

But I would only be using it for browsning the net, word, videos, and the odd old games once in a while. It's just purely to have a laptop for school in case I need it. Thanks in advance!

From what I've seen walking around the stores...lots of laptops on sale on the cheap! I'd say pick an Acer... nowadays....it's hard to buy a POS machine...... the "low end" of today was the "o shit" of yesterday!

Just purchased 17" Dell, factory refurbished, core i5, 320 GB hdd, 4GB ram, $599.99.....then 15" HP about the same specs for $575....Lots of guys on eBay have these PC's with good records and warranties available....

I would shop the outlets for business machines. But I like robust & tougher machines.

You can get elitebooks, thinkpads, percisions and stuff for ~$600 if you keep your eyes peeled.

Either way shop the outlets. You get a new machine most of the time even though they call it refurbished.

My brother got an Elitebook 2540p with a 80GB SSD for $529 and it was new. This retails over $1500.

The SSD alone from Intel is $259 at newegg.

Anyway you might want to look at Envy 14, EliteBook 8440p or 8540p based on your criteria. All are awesome and I've seen them less than $600.

I have inside info HP is holding a March Madness sale soon at their business outlet. What that means is when they start blowing shit out at 35-45% off already low outlet prices.

Edit Spelling.

Last edited:
I have inside info HP is holding a March Madness sale soon at their business outlet. What that means is when they start blowing shit out at 35-45% off already low outlet prices.

I've heard this as well. The guy I talked to at HP basically said "wait if you can." I have a budget of 1K, but now I'm thinking if I wait until March I might be able to pick up a couple machines!

Acer Aspire AS5253-BZ684 @ hhgreg for 423 out the door including tax. Super happy with it so far - real solid performance for 400 bucks.

Back