New Laptop

FerrisBuller

Weaksauce
Opinions, comments, suggestions, any and all would be greatly appreciated. This is a desktop replacement. Was going to go with Alienware, but I saved about $1000.00 going with Xtreme.

Purchasing from Xtremenotebooks.com, Resellerratings.com - 9.82 with 132 reviews.
Xtreme 909V Accelerator
17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200) Super Wide Angle Glass View LCD
NEW! nVIDIA GeFORCE Go 7800 GTX with 256MB DDR 3 VideoRAM (available 10-28)
3.8GHz Intel® 670 Pentium® 4E HT Enabled CPU - 800MHz FSB w/2MB cache
2048MB 533MHz DDR2 RAM (2 DIMMS)
NEW! 100GB IDE ATA100 HDD 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
Optional Second Hard Drive (Fits in Dedicated 2nd HDD Bay)
8X24X10X24 DVD/CDRW Combo Drive (8x DVDRW available)
FREE External USB 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
8X DVD±R/RW Combo Dual Layer with Lightscribe Technology
12 Cell Smart Li-Ion Battery - Approximately 2.0 Hours of Runtime
110/220V 180W Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
Creative Labs External Audigy2 NX - 7.1 SRS
Logitech® Z-5500 5.1CH 505 Watt Digital 6 Speaker Surround Set
Entry Level Black Vinyl Carrying Case - Included
Windows XP Pro SP2 with Drivers and Utilities CD
802.11G 54Mbps Mini PCI Internal- Standard
SPECIAL - 3 Years Total - System Parts and Labor Mail-In Coverage - (Exp - 3/31 - $ 249 Value)
RAID - None Enabled (Dual HDDs Required)
Gigabyte 108 mbps 802.11g "Turbo" Router
7 in 1 Flash Card Reader - Standard
Total: $ 4455.00

Wow. That's one heck of an expensive desktop computer you're buying! You could probably save fifteen hundred bucks just by putting it in a mid-tower case instead of cramming it into the notebook chasis. It'd be more upgradeable in the future, too.

My opinion on these somewhat portable machines with desktop processors in huge, heavy notebook chassis is: They're not worth the price premium. I think this is marginally more portable than a SFF PC, and much more expensive. If you're going to be keeping it mostly stationary (which I'd guess because you're buying some serious speakers to go with it), why not save the money and buy a real desktop? Cramming a desktop into a notebook chassis just seems to make for a hot, heavy, battery-sucking computer that costs more than a nice desktop and a cheap-o notebook for actual portable use: e-mail, word processing, and web surfing.

That's all based on my preferences and my computer usage. Since you haven't given any information on how you intend to use this, I don't know how it fits your needs. I just know it would be a good fit for my desktop needs of the moment (though not upgradeable, so major strike there) and a horrible fit for my needs from a notebook (a modicum of portability, a modicum of battery life, and a low likelihood of heating up to the point of setting my wooden desk on fire).

If I were to purchase a DTR, and I'm actually seriously considering doing so in the near future, I would want a little more portability and battery life and I'd demand a mobile processor for, at the very least, thermal reasons. The Clevo M570A/Sager 5720, for instance. It would be my only machine for a while, so I'd need the portability to replace my dinky, powerless old Inspiron.

Back