New LCD?

obobski

2[H]4U
Ok, so I've been lurking the displays board all day while trying to figure out what to buy LCD-wise, and haven't found any exact answers, so I figured I'd post a question....

Alright, I've got a pair of 17" CRTs right now, which aren't the greatest quality monitors in the world, but I don't have to deal with ghosting, or uniformity issues, or backlight bleed, or any of the other dozen or so problems that seem to plague LCDs...however, I'd like to upgrade to something with a higher resolution and larger size (preferably a widescreen) so I can use it sort of like a TV (I don't want/need to see it from across a room, but it'd be nice to kick back with my feet up on the desk and watch a movie without having to lean way in to get the "full screen" experience).

Monitor's I've looked at so far:

Dell:
2707 WFP
2408 WFP
3007 WFP
3008 WFP

Samsung:
SyncMaster 305T

Gateway:
XHD3000

NEC:
LCD2490WUXi-BK
LCD2690WUXi-BK

so, I've really got no idea whats the best monitor for me, I like the dual monitor thing, can't really exceed the price of the 3008 WFP (so roughly $2k-ish, a pair of 2707 WFP's is possible, but kind of pushing it) as far as a monitor goes, a single 30" would be fine, but a single 24", I'm not entirely sure (same goes for 27, not entirely sure I could live with single)

basically I want a monitor thats capable of producing good blacks, doesn't lag like crazy, and generally performs well, I do game, but its mostly RTS and RPG games, I play FPS' casually (and not online/competitively) so extreme response isn't a must (for example if it'd cost me $500 just to get 1/30th of a second faster, I'm not spending that $500) as far as movies go, basically just a huge collection of widescreen DVDs, and i'm not a whore about quality (as long as it looks decent, i'm fine with it, I don't need it to be instantly transformed into 1080p60 grade content)

and I don't want to go as extreme as something like the Eizo ColorEdge series (already found and looked at those, while it does what I want, $3000+ is a little insane for a single monitor)

Somoone will soon drop in and tell you, that NEC 2490 or 2690 is the perfect solution ;) I don't know myseft, I'm going to test 2690 the next week.
Btw, I'm using HP LP2465 and I think it is a quite good panel for a very good price.

Why not the HP LP3065?

This looks like the best monitor out there for the price with 3 DVI inputs and a beautiful S-IPS display.

I think this is a great deal.

The XHD3000 is a laggard of epic proportions (ie. 80ms laggard) from what I hear. Great TV, slow monitor.) so I wouldn't look at that even for mild gaming.

10e

HP LP3065? idk, i'm kind of weary of older 30" panels because of the lack of OSD/etc (not sure if i'll hate it or not mind it) like the 3007, but I do like the lower price

reading a review on anand about the 3065, they seemed to like it, but I've yet to find any really comprehensive data that compares what seems to be first gen 30's (like the HP3065, or the SyncMaster 305T) to newer 30's like the 3008WFP or XHD3000 (although I have read that the 3000 is supposed to be laggy, so its more or less off the list)

Back