New Lian Li PC-V354 m.atx case : Specification & Feature

N1GHTRA1N, a bit off-topic, but nice projector man! I'm still rockin' a Mitsu HD1000U but have been tempted by the 8700UB. A great piece of kit.
I run a Mac Mini with Plex off of mine, what software are you using on your new build?

"When I upgrade my current video cards in my main rig I'll be putting two 4870's in crossfire in this system."
Not on your H67 board you won't ;-)

Am also curious as to cyberkost's Q.

The H67 will run them in crossfire, the second card will only run at 4x though. The motherboard does have crossfire support.

I don't really run any dedicated HT software right now, I'm using Windows 7. I mostly use this to stream online content like NHL Gamecenter, SpikeTV.com, etc. I plan doing some occassional gaming on it later too. Right now I mainly use my Xbox 360 to stream videos from my main PC, that might change and I might start using this PC directly instead.

Any suggestions?

The H67 will run them in crossfire, the second card will only run at 4x though. The motherboard does have crossfire support.

I don't really run any dedicated HT software right now, I'm using Windows 7. I mostly use this to stream online content like NHL Gamecenter, SpikeTV.com, etc. I plan doing some occassional gaming on it later too. Right now I mainly use my Xbox 360 to stream videos from my main PC, that might change and I might start using this PC directly instead.

Any suggestions?

Media Center is a good start. Go in, set it up and see if you like the interface and access. I am not sure if you were thinking tuner cards are if it is all streaming.

considering making an ESXi server out of one of these, what's the best quiet cooler that's going to fit?

looking at i7-2600, not sure of the mobo yet, maybe one of the Intel ones with all of the VT support ...

Any suggestions?

Windows Media Center or Plex which now has a Windows version. As someone said, depends on whether you are using Tuners, for which I recommend Ceton.

http://www.plexapp.com/

http://www.cetoncorp.com/products.php

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/30/ceton-infinitv-4-cablecard-tuner-review/

considering making an ESXi server out of one of these, what's the best quiet cooler that's going to fit?

looking at i7-2600, not sure of the mobo yet, maybe one of the Intel ones with all of the VT support ...

Most probably the Noctua NH-U9B.

Whilst I hadn't bought an ASUS board in almost 10 years, I can say that the P8P67-M Pro really is superb. Their BIOS support is far better than Intel's when it comes to mobos too.
The Intel Bad Axe boards were never right, despite 18 BIOS releases. Intel boards always have some weird quirk in my experience.

Even if it did fit, would it be very practical given where the back and the top fans are?

well its a top down cooler ...

The way I think about it:
  • rear fan moves air along X axis
  • top fan moves air along Y axis
  • you're adding a fan moving air along Z axis
  • a pretty "sub-optimal" flow pattern results

Does anybody know if this case has a side window door for purchase? If so let me know cuz I would buy the case and window in an instant.

^^ it does not .. and chances are Lian-Li won't make a windowed side panel b/c of how the PSU is sitting in this case.

The way I think about it:
  • rear fan moves air along X axis
  • top fan moves air along Y axis
  • you're adding a fan moving air along Z axis
  • a pretty "sub-optimal" flow pattern results

right so i should look at a vertical tower cooler still.... but what will fit in this case?

Folks report good results with Noctua NH-U9 ... there are pictures in this thread (just a couple of pages ago) of how it fits

The Noctua NH-U12P will also fit with an after-market 120x12mm fan with vertical flow only. Definitely look back at previous pages for pics of other coolers.

right so i should look at a vertical tower cooler still.... but what will fit in this case?

Here is my 2 cents. I installed the NH-U9B which fits with very little room to spare. The U9B is spec'd at 125mm tall while the C14 is spec'd at 130mm tall with the fan on top and 105mm without the fan on top. SO, I figure why not? You could either go single fan under the fins or go with a slim fan on top for space. I will measure tonight to see what kind of space I have left over on my system. It is on an Asus board which will make a little difference for your scenario as well.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if this case has a side window door for purchase? If so let me know cuz I would buy the case and window in an instant.

You could buy it through someone like PerformancePCs and have them do the window mod for you. They do excellent work. You'd have to pay extra for the mod obviously though.

Alright, in my fairly unscientific measuring method I came up with this. In my Lian Li PC-V354 case using a Asus P8H67-M LE board running an Intel i3 2120 cpu mounted with a Noctua NH-U9B SE cpu cooler, I have another ~6mm of extra space above the top of the heatpipe between the PSU across front of it. So, since the Noctua website says the height of the cpu cooler is 125mm (hoping that includes the heatpipe tip), that means a 131mm device would fit in my scenario. If all theories run according to my admittedly unscientific one, the NH-C14 SHOULD fit but then I run into several doomsday scenarios.

1. If you run the psu like I did which is with the fan inboard to feed it air from the inside of the case as opposed to the side panel, the psu fan has its own cage the protrudes another ~1-2 mm out thus obliterating that theory.

2. If you run the psu like I did once again then you would have the top fan of the cooler and the psu fighting for the same air supply on top and possibly not feeding the cpu cooler and psu. Depending on what other hardware you have in the case (GTX 590/HD6990 anyone?) they might also compete and small mushroom clouds come to mind.

3. My measurements are based on my config so with that little of tolerance it would truly suck to try and get it altogether making me look like a complete tool. I like this scenario the least.

Depending on what other hardware you have in the case (GTX 590/HD6990 anyone?) they might also compete and small mushroom clouds come to mind.

So, been meaning to post these...
Palit GTX 580 3GB versions in SLI - Definitely a NO GO in this case. Far too hot, and far too noisy.

img0505lu.jpg

img0504gd.jpg

EVGA GTX 590 is a perfect match for this case. Runs very cool and quiet.

img0506n.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, in my fairly unscientific measuring method I came up with this. In my Lian Li PC-V354 case using a Asus P8H67-M LE board running an Intel i3 2120 cpu mounted with a Noctua NH-U9B SE cpu cooler, I have another ~6mm of extra space above the top of the heatpipe between the PSU across front of it. So, since the Noctua website says the height of the cpu cooler is 125mm (hoping that includes the heatpipe tip), that means a 131mm device would fit in my scenario. If all theories run according to my admittedly unscientific one, the NH-C14 SHOULD fit but then I run into several doomsday scenarios.

1. If you run the psu like I did which is with the fan inboard to feed it air from the inside of the case as opposed to the side panel, the psu fan has its own cage the protrudes another ~1-2 mm out thus obliterating that theory.

2. If you run the psu like I did once again then you would have the top fan of the cooler and the psu fighting for the same air supply on top and possibly not feeding the cpu cooler and psu. Depending on what other hardware you have in the case (GTX 590/HD6990 anyone?) they might also compete and small mushroom clouds come to mind.

3. My measurements are based on my config so with that little of tolerance it would truly suck to try and get it altogether making me look like a complete tool. I like this scenario the least.

I turned mine so it would suck air in from over the cpu & gpu area. Figured it would be better than it facing the side panel and trying to suck air from its wall area. I used a Corsair HX850w psu so its good enough quality to handle it. I used a H50 though so its not as big of a deal in my build.

I was going to wait to show all the pics for my final build sequence but I wanted to show you my setup to illustrate my comments from earlier.

12.jpg

The way I had designed my flow was that the two front fans would push air in and after it got past the hd cages it would pool in the middle for the psu and cpu cooler to then push out. I didn't put a fan on the back because I didn't really want to expedite air through as much as I wanted to feed the psu and cpu cooler (thus feeding the top exhaust 140mm)

Now my issue is with those cages. They are holding back the general flow to a point and I am contemplating running a rear exhaust to possibly pull through the front a little more. Odd theory but you can see I am going for storage and not speed so temps aren't really a huge deal for me. I wanted clean, tidy, and capacity.

Last edited:
^^ if you're not adding any more drives, looks like you can take one of the cages out (and stuff all of the HDDs into the remaining one), no?

^^ if you're not adding any more drives, looks like you can take one of the cages out (and stuff all of the HDDs into the remaining one), no?

Yes and no. I have a couple more 1tb WD Greens but I am not sure I want anything smaller than 2tb drives in there. I am debating on whether to run one of them as a server backup drive, or raid 5 the three 2tb's that are in there, or... My worry is putting on the side panel without being 100% sure I don't have to get in there again. The case was a little of a pain to work with so when i button it up I want it to be for a while.

I wouldn't recommend RAID 5'ing 2TB drives, go RAID 10, or JBOD.
This is widely accepted.

quote from: http://serverfault.com/questions/192995/raid-5-with-big-sata-disks-do-or-dont

"You had me a R5 - don't.

The reason is that in the event of a disk failure you have zero protection until you've replaced the disk and the array has rebuilt.

For large cheapo SATA disks this rebuilt process can take DAYS - meanwhile you are at the mercy of a second disk failing - at which point it's game over.

Also this type of disk is rarely happy to work solidly 24 hours a day and I've seen rebuilds kill disks - again making the whole thing rather dubious.

If you can use RAID 10 over 5 or 6, if you insist on 5/6 then use 'enterprise' disks capable of a 24/365 duty cycle."

...Excellent points made by Squuiid...

Kind of why I am shying away from that in the first place. They are consumer drives and probably not worth the heartache. JBOD ftw I guess. Still dialing in WHS 2011. Case is wonderful though.

Wow you guys sold me on this case I want want. if any of you guys want to sell your hit me up I am in the market for one. But wow love your cases.

Yes and no. I have a couple more 1tb WD Greens but I am not sure I want anything smaller than 2tb drives in there. I am debating on whether to run one of them as a server backup drive, or raid 5 the three 2tb's that are in there, or... My worry is putting on the side panel without being 100% sure I don't have to get in there again. The case was a little of a pain to work with so when i button it up I want it to be for a while.

I'd run a small RAID array for data you need regularly, maybe RAID1, say for the OS and whatever important data you need, then a big RAID6 array for the rest if your data is not mission critical OR even better JBOD and backups of the rest, backups will always be better than any RAID solution

Here are my specs:

G.SKILL ECO 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO
$174.99
x2= $349.98

Quick question ... where did you get the G.Skill ECO 8GB CL8 kit from as it has not been released in Australia and I'm keen to get some for a future build (mini-ITX), and if I can't get it I'm going to have to get Kingston Hyper-X stuff with the shorter heatsinks ... I'd much rather the G.Skill.

Thanks!

I recently purchased this case for an HTPC / portable rig. There is tons of information in this thread that will help anyone deciding to build using this case, thanks to everyone posting in this thread.

I noticed the Noctua NH-U9B 92MM HS/F is very popular for putting in this case. I go cheap at times so I decided to go with the Xigmatek LOKI SD963 92MM HS/F - $24.99 at newegg versus $60 for the Noctua NH-U9B

I wanted to cut corners and get a cheap HS/F because I put an i3 2100 in an H67 (no oc'ing possible). I don't ever like using the stock Intel heatsink because the push pins end up bowing the socket area of your board, among other reasons.

If anyone wants to save some money and avoid the stock cooler with your CPU the Xigmatek Loki is not a bad choice. I noticed its dimensions were almost exactly the same as the Noctua NH-U9B, so I went for it. Of course, I know the Noctua is better, but the Xigmatek will satisfy my needs just the same.
S6301445.jpg

S6301447.jpg

S6301448.jpg

^^^ Yeah, I'm still using an IDE optical drive, LOL. There only a rear fan on my Antec Earthwatt 430W PSU (no fan on the top or bottom).

I've noticed some people have mounted their power supplies with the fan blowing in, and some with it blowing out. Is it really just preference ? I noticed in the instructions they place the power supply with the fan blowing outside the case.

/edit

I couldn't tell but are the standoffs on the motherboard tray removable? It appeared like they are molded in place, but couldn't tell. I didn't want to unscrew one and find out the hard way...

If the standoffs aren't removable / replaceable this is my biggest upset on this case. I do notice you can buy a replaceable motherboard tray, but for around $45 I'd rather be able to fix the standoffs.

Last edited:
Quick question ... where did you get the G.Skill ECO 8GB CL8 kit from as it has not been released in Australia and I'm keen to get some for a future build (mini-ITX), and if I can't get it I'm going to have to get Kingston Hyper-X stuff with the shorter heatsinks ... I'd much rather the G.Skill.

Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31404&cm_re=gskill_eco-_-20-231-404-_-Product

It has come down in price a LOT since I bought a month ago. I paid $174.99 x2.
Now it is $124.99 but currently out of stock.

Last edited:
I recently purchased this case for an HTPC / portable rig. There is tons of information in this thread that will help anyone deciding to build using this case, thanks to everyone posting in this thread.

I noticed the Noctua NH-U9B 92MM HS/F is very popular for putting in this case. I go cheap at times so I decided to go with the Xigmatek LOKI SD963 92MM HS/F - $24.99 at newegg versus $60 for the Noctua NH-U9B

I wanted to cut corners and get a cheap HS/F because I put an i3 2100 in an H67 (no oc'ing possible). I don't ever like using the stock Intel heatsink because the push pins end up bowing the socket area of your board, among other reasons.

If anyone wants to save some money and avoid the stock cooler with your CPU the Xigmatek Loki is not a bad choice. I noticed its dimensions were almost exactly the same as the Noctua NH-U9B, so I went for it. Of course, I know the Noctua is better, but the Xigmatek will satisfy my needs just the same.

^^^ Yeah, I'm still using an IDE optical drive, LOL. There only a rear fan on my Antec Earthwatt 430W PSU (no fan on the top or bottom).

I've noticed some people have mounted their power supplies with the fan blowing in, and some with it blowing out. Is it really just preference ? I noticed in the instructions they place the power supply with the fan blowing outside the case.

/edit

I couldn't tell but are the standoffs on the motherboard tray removable? It appeared like they are molded in place, but couldn't tell. I didn't want to unscrew one and find out the hard way...

If the standoffs aren't removable / replaceable this is my biggest upset on this case. I do notice you can buy a replaceable motherboard tray, but for around $45 I'd rather be able to fix the standoffs.

You are awesome. I'm going for a similar build. Any reason you chose the EVO over the Pro/CSM version? It's like a $15 difference for me, so I see only displayport as the only difference between the two.

Gonna go for IDE optical drive too. I want this to be a NAS, so if I can save 5 ports for large HDs, this is awesome. With Raid 5, that subtracts 1 drive, so I'm at 4 drives still... hmm.

So it is built and running WHS 2011 pretty smoothly now.

-Intel i3 2120
-Noctua NH U9B SE 2
-Asus P8H67-M
-Corsair XMS3 2x4GB kit
-Silverstone Strider Plus ST50F-P (with PP05 short cable kit)
-3x2tb Samsung F4
-Miscellaneous NZXT 3 pin extenders and 6" and 10" sata cables for tidyness

First, the fan clips on the Noctua do rest on top of the ram sinks. Not really a big deal
1.jpg

I left all the front panel attachments bundled up, I have zero intention of ever using them.
2.jpg

Since I am also omitting an optical drive from the build I had to install like this.
3.jpg

Finished up and running for a week now.
4.jpg

5.jpg

The case pretty much lived up to what I thought I needed for its use. I will say that putting the back panel on with the mobo attached was a chore. It could be because the backplate was being a pain but it took me a couple of minutes. Also, since I was going for short sata cables I had to creep my hands in to attach them which was a little tedious as well.

Just Kill-a-watt'ed the thing at 45 watts idle. Much better than my old one which was 100 watts just sitting there.

Last edited:

S6301445.jpg

S6301447.jpg

S6301448.jpg

/edit

Do you have your RAM installed in the black slots? Shouldn't they be installed in the blue slots?

Bought:

V354b
Core i3 2100
Asus P8H67-EVO
2x4gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 (from Slickdeals front page)

Haven't bought the Samsung F4s yet, but I can get those anytime when Newegg decides to drop prices again and Amazon matches (Hooray for prime). I'll setup the configuration I like with my spare drives and play with OS configuration first. The minute I'm ready to setup my ZFS pool, it'll only take 5 min after I connect everything, so I'll just wait for the F4s to go on sale again.

You are awesome. I'm going for a similar build. Any reason you chose the EVO over the Pro/CSM version? It's like a $15 difference for me, so I see only displayport as the only difference between the two.

Gonna go for IDE optical drive too. I want this to be a NAS, so if I can save 5 ports for large HDs, this is awesome. With Raid 5, that subtracts 1 drive, so I'm at 4 drives still... hmm.

I chose the EVO over the Pro/CSM version because it has (1) PCI and (1) PCI-Express x4 slot (not including the 2 x16 slots, with 1 running at x4). Also the EVO does have display port and I noticed the Pro/CSM version doesn't have VRM heatsinks on all the power/mosfet area of the socket while the EVO does.

My Sony NEC PATA drive is working great :~)

So it is built and running WHS 2011 pretty smoothly now.

-Intel i3 2120
-Noctua NH U9B SE 2
-Asus P8H67-M
-Corsair XMS3 2x4GB kit
-Silverstone Strider Plus ST50F-P (with PP05 short cable kit)
-3x2tb Samsung F4
-Miscellaneous NZXT 3 pin extenders and 6" and 10" sata cables for tidyness

First, the fan clips on the Noctua do rest on top of the ram sinks. Not really a big deal

The case pretty much lived up to what I thought I needed for its use. I will say that putting the back panel on with the mobo attached was a chore. It could be because the backplate was being a pain but it took me a couple of minutes. Also, since I was going for short sata cables I had to creep my hands in to attach them which was a little tedious as well.

Just Kill-a-watt'ed the thing at 45 watts idle. Much better than my old one which was 100 watts just sitting there.

That is a great system, well done cable management for this little case.

Do you have your RAM installed in the black slots? Shouldn't they be installed in the blue slots?

Thank you for noticing this. It does appear that the manual recommends installing in the black slots when using two sticks only. :eek:

Thank you for noticing this. It does appear that the manual recommends installing in the black slots when using two sticks only. :eek:

Don't you mean blue slots? I have the same board. Page 2-5 says install in A2 and B2, which are blue slots.

With the P8P67 M Pro board, wouldn't we be able to run SLI in Slot 1 (Navy Blue x16) and Slot 3 (Black x4). Benchmarks show roughly a 7% performance decrease running x16/x4, but this might help with noise and temps?

Back