New Life for my Sound Blaster Live 5.1?

Fully [H]
Okay, so I live in an apartment with 2 other people. We all are horrible at getting up in the morning so I had an idea for waking up to music with my floorstanding speakers.

While this worked great for a while, everyone wanted to listen to different sorts of music and needed to get up at different times. So here is the plan I came up with...

I have an older computer, 933 MHz, 384MB RAM, 300GB HDD, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, Server 2003 Std.

kX Project allows the SB Live! to have 4 different stereo streams coming out of the sound card. I'm thinking about setting up 3 different installs of WinAMP, one for each of us, and then using one of the alarm plug-ins available to play music at a given time.

So should this work? Is the computer strong enough to handle 3 audio streams like this?

Okay, so I live in an apartment with 2 other people. We all are horrible at getting up in the morning so I had an idea for waking up to music with my floorstanding speakers.

While this worked great for a while, everyone wanted to listen to different sorts of music and needed to get up at different times. So here is the plan I came up with...

I have an older computer, 933 MHz, 384MB RAM, 300GB HDD, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, Server 2003 Std.

kX Project allows the SB Live! to have 4 different stereo streams coming out of the sound card. I'm thinking about setting up 3 different installs of WinAMP, one for each of us, and then using one of the alarm plug-ins available to play music at a given time.

So should this work? Is the computer strong enough to handle 3 audio streams like this?

lol.
yeah it should work in theory, try it out, you wont hurt anything
and if its a P3 or an Athlon, it should handle it fine, assuming you don't have someone wanting to use the box for gaming or something when it needs to be an alarm clock

YESSSSSS!!

It was a success! The alarm wakes everyone up and the system handles 3 simultaneous streams just fine. It's even a print server! Old tech repurposing FTW!

933 MHz, 384MB RAM, 300GB HDD, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, Server 2003 Std.
Pretty high specs for an alarm clock ;)

Back