New little PCI-express slots on boards.

T-nm

Limp Gawd
What are they, and when will they be used?

I'm not talking about the 16x pci-e.

Slots for 1x PCI-E cards, although I personally haven't seen any cards that use them yet.

Theres already x1 PCI-E SCSI cards and RAID controllers as well as Gigabit Ethernet adapters I think already in the hands of OEMs. I myself have seen a few cards in person on display by several vendors. Yet I still haven't seen any in a machine working.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Theres already x1 PCI-E SCSI cards and RAID controllers as well as Gigabit Ethernet adapters I think already in the hands of OEMs. I myself have seen a few cards in person on display by several vendors. Yet I still haven't seen any in a machine working.

Hmm...I'd like to get a SCSI controller and slap 15k RPM suckah on it...

Stiletto One said:
Imagine, if you will...

...a PCIe 16x disk controller!!!

Why does the term "overkill" come to mind. Vast overkill. ;)

Might be thinking wrong...but let's see...PCIe 16x is 8000 mb/sec, give or take, right?

SATA 1 is 150 mb/sec....

Take 53 hard drives, if each hard drive actually worked at 150 mb/sec to fill the bandwidth...

OOO...53 hard drives... ;)

Arvig said:
OOO...53 hard drives... ;)
External baby. :) Keep in mind, with meter-long cables, if you stick the drives outside of the chassis, there's PLENTY of room to rack and cool all of the drives.

Might want something a little more robust than RAID5 or 6 with that many drives, lol

Stiletto One said:
External baby. :) Keep in mind, with meter-long cables, if you stick the drives outside of the chassis, there's PLENTY of room to rack and cool all of the drives.

Might want something a little more robust than RAID5 or 6 with that many drives, lol

External, are you nuts? I'm going down to an appliance store, buying a full sized fridge, and putting the drives in that!!

And yes, I'm keeping the fridge plugged in. I'll just coat each and every hard drive in dielectric grease. Or if I run out, Crisco. :D Think about it, 53 hard drives all nice and cool in my fridge next to me, and I can just reach over and grab a beer or Mountain Dew any time I want. Hey, put a microwave in the room, and a bunch of frozen burritos in the fridge, and I never need to get up again! Except to go to the store to get more beer, Mountain Dew and frozen burritos. ;) Oh, and Crisco for the hard drives, got to keep those coated!

Arvig said:
External, are you nuts? I'm going down to an appliance store, buying a full sized fridge, and putting the drives in that!!

And yes, I'm keeping the fridge plugged in. I'll just coat each and every hard drive in dielectric grease. Or if I run out, Crisco. :D Think about it, 53 hard drives all nice and cool in my fridge next to me, and I can just reach over and grab a beer or Mountain Dew any time I want. Hey, put a microwave in the room, and a bunch of frozen burritos in the fridge, and I never need to get up again! Except to go to the store to get more beer, Mountain Dew and frozen burritos. ;) Oh, and Crisco for the hard drives, got to keep those coated!
hahahahahahahahahaha....really lol, man! :)

Back