New Modem - Unidentified network

crawlgsx

[H]ard|Gawd
I upgraded my Time Warner account to Ultimate (50/5) and was given a new Arris DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router.

The modem is also a wireless router / 4 port gigabit.

I have 4 computers plugged in to it. 3 of them work perfectly fine,

Mine however, does not. I am getting Unidentified network. I have a Gigabyte Sniper m3 with Intel Gigabit LAN. Half of the time it says no cable plugged in, the other half it says unidentified network.

After some time of messing with it, I got it to connect, but only at 10mb. Upon messing with it more I lost the connection and have not been able to re-establish.

I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting, disabling/renabling, clearing winsock/etc, I tried booting to Windows 7 just in case it was something with WIN8. No luck.

Even a clean install of Windows 7 it comes up with the same thing.

It is clearly (to me) a problem between my network card and the new modem/router. I just have no idea what to do about it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

That and try different ports on the new router, failing that probably your NIC.

I've seen this before but it was between an Arris TM602G telepohony modem and some customer's old shitty Compaq. The Compaq simply would not connect when plugged directly to the modem and I had to give the guy a wireless router to get it working. What you likely have here is that auto negotiation isn't working between your nic and modem, you can try going into your adapter's properties and forcing 1000-full to see if that helps, but it probably won't.

What's the modem model number they gave you? Who makes your computer's ethernet adapter? Realtek, Intel, etc?

Even forcing 100 full would be worth a try. You can't usually force the duplex on Gigabit. It either connects at 1000 or it doesn't.

Even forcing 100 full would be worth a try. You can't usually force the duplex on Gigabit. It either connects at 1000 or it doesn't.

True, gigabit is always full duplex. I'm just use to quoting speed and duplex. It's a bad habit though it sometimes makes me come across as though I don't know what I'm talking about.:)

Also I agree with trying 100 full if gigabit doesn't work.

try
windows+r (run box)
services.msc
disable network list service
reboot system
ignore the icon saying no network connection and try going to google.com

I've had that problem on all of my Win 7 boxes where the network list service actually blocks my network access. It is one of those lovely Win 7 network security crap bugs.

Back