New monitor has dead pixel - General questions concerning this and LCDs?

Hey guys,

Just bought and received a SAMSUNG 941BW [LINK] from NewEgg and upon booting, during an all black screen, I was greeted to a bright red pixel a few inches off center. Watched a bit of film, typed away and been on the net, it's most noticeable on darker images where it shows up bright red and quite visible, otherwise it's fairly difficult to detect. So I have a dead pixel right?

NewEgg's return on dead pixels is 8 or more, otherwise they'll ship it right back to you, Samsung's for my size is 10, so as far as I can tell I can't just get an RMA.

Have a few questions about this, if you wouldn't mind:

#1. From my brief description I have what is known as a 'dead pixel' correct? I know there's various terminology regarding 'pixel issues' but what I'm talking about with mine would appear to be a...?

#2. Are there some color panel tests I can run, like a slide show or diagnostics, to test the rest of the screen for defects, other dead pixels, LCD issues, etc.? I ran MS Paint through a few colors but there must be some pre-packaged setup with some intelligence behind it that suit better then my guesswork.

#3. How do I know if it's just one pixel or a small tight grouping of several?

#4. At all fixable on my end? What would the manufacturer do, scrap the whole thing basically? I can recall having read something about being able to 'massage' LCD's with certain types of issues, I don't think what I'm talking about is the same though, can someone elaborate?

#5. Chance of re-selling this anywhere? I'd return this right away if I could, the single bright red dot that I've encountered so far does stand out when I watch films, and I like to do that a few nights a week so it does pose an issue for me, other then that it doesn't often show up, so someone who doesn't use it the same and wouldn't mind could be getting a perfectly working LCD otherwise, ideas?

#6. I bought this hoping to capitalize off a $40 MIR that will expire by the end of this month (Jan) if it doesn't get in the mail before hand, a missing UPC bar on the box shouldn't pose an issue if I try to resell to a home user I wouldn't think, no? As I am hoping to resell this at or near what I paid so I may get another of the same, other then this issue I'd say it's a great monitor, can you guys think of this posing an issue to a buyer? The 3 year Samsung warranty should be valid without it as far as I understand.

That's all I've come across since the weekend I've had it, answers to these and anything applicable would be highly welcomed.
/Thanks.

peace,

It sounds like a stuck pixel that could possibly be fixed. Download UDPixel and run it for a few hours. If that doesn't work, use a lightly damp cloth to put pressure on the stuck pixel while turning on the the monitor. That has been know to fix stuck pixels.

1. Yes, you have a dead, or in your case to be specific, stuck pixel.

2. You can run programs like Dead Pixel Buddy to see if you have more than one dead or stuck pixel.

3. The easiest way is to just move up to and look closely at your monitor. Is it only one "dot" that is dead or is it multiple dots in a small area?

4. Sometimes, dead pixels go away after massaging like you said, but they can also sometimes just simply disappear after a little while of use. Other times, they stay there forever. It's a pretty tricky subject.

5. I'm sure someone out there will be willing to buy the monitor, despite the dead pixel.

6. If the price you sell for is less than the price after rebate, I don't see why a buyer would mind.

Back