New Monitor

R1ch

n00b
Hey guys,
I need to replace my trusty 24" Gateway FHD2400 (1080p) monitor however I torn between what to pick.

As of right now I've been looking at:

Choice 1> Dell 24" 2408WFP (PVA panel?) for $434 Specs

Choice 2> LG 24" W2486L LED (TN panel) for $349.95 Specs

The Dell appears to be very good however I see some complaints regarding input lag, any info on this? How about gaming feedback?

...and the LG is brand new technology with the LED display which I'm not too familiar with yet. How is for gaming? Blacks are really black or more greish?

or maybe a different model that you guys could suggest?

My criteria is:

• Size 24" or better
  • Resolution 1920x1080 or better
  • Price point $450
  • 90% usage will be for gaming, web browsing and occasional movies
Thanks in advance!
R1ch

:)

Can't really attest to the lastest revision (A02) of the Dell 2408WFP, but from what I've read, the input lag has improved from the original A00.

LED backlighting basically means LEDs are used instead of florecent lights so the monitor will use a little less energy and be thinner. There will still be backlight bleeding.

I don't think the benefits of LED technology is justification enough to downgrade to a TN panel, especially when the 2408WFP is within striking distance (and is often around ~$400 after coupons and such anyway).

The 2408WFP A02 is reportedly much improved in input lag, or at the very least, there are not as many huge gripes about the monitor as the first revision had. ;)

thanks for the quick feedback. I think i'm leaning towards the dell based on it's reviews and your guy's input. :) however any other brand/model i should be considering?

You might want to look at the HP offerings.
Once the U2410 comes out, prices may drop on those.

Just wait for the U2410, price will drop on all other 24" displays . . .

:cool: :cool: Tim :cool: :cool:

Sounds good, but when is the U2410 being released?
My searches have not resulted in a conclusive answer.

Sounds good, but when is the U2410 being released?
My searches have not resulted in a conclusive answer.

They are in the NA warehouses by the ton, Dell is just "playing games" with US & Canadian markets as the U2410 is almost available everywhere else!

The question really is pricing, Dell is not being consistent with introductory pricing with the U2410, in HK the U2410 is cheaper than the 2408WFP, in the EU, the opposite.

;) :D Tim :D ;)

They are in the NA warehouses by the ton, Dell is just "playing games" with US & Canadian markets as the U2410 is almost available everywhere else!

The question really is pricing, Dell is not being consistent with introductory pricing with the U2410, in HK the U2410 is cheaper than the 2408WFP, in the EU, the opposite.

;) :D Tim :D ;)

Thanks, however that it just wrong :(

Tim, I'm curious as to how you figure Dell just has tons of these monitors sitting in warehouses? I would agree with your prediction that they're waiting for the Windows 7 launch, but would you have any more details about these monitors other than their current status?

I really hope the pricing is in-line with what they have currently relative to competitive products. Unfortunately, the existence of this premium panel all but undermines any possibility for a value-minded 24" version of the 2209WA, but one can hope, eh? :)

"I don't think the benefits of LED technology is justification enough to downgrade to a TN panel, especially when the 2408WFP is within striking distance (and is often around ~$400 after coupons and such anyway)."

isn't the 2408WFP also a TN panel? The LED is definitely an upgrade, it just depends if its worth the cost for you. If you're looking for another option check out the BenQ E2400HD, I'm a big fan. It should be a little less than the others and you're not sacrificing anything, its just a less known brand. I think they're also putting out an LED version soon.

o my bad, thanks for the correction. How do PVA's compare to TN's spec-wise? I thought they were slower with a better picture (more for design than gaming)

Last edited:
Tim, I'm curious as to how you figure Dell just has tons of these monitors sitting in warehouses? I would agree with your prediction that they're waiting for the Windows 7 launch, but would you have any more details about these monitors other than their current status?

From a source that I do not wish to name at this time, Dell has several warehouses full of monitor, printers, and the like all designed to get them over the holiday hump aside from the early startup with the Windows 7 launch.

Through some fancy accounting, they are yet to be carried on Dell's books (and there are about 100 Dell selling companies now) and are considered "embargoed".

But by late November, there wll never be enough of some models, as usual . . .

Tim

thanks everyone for the input, however i could not wait until dell made it's mind with the prices. I was without a monitor. I decided with the 2408wfp and got thrown the soundbar in for free after some discussion on the phone with dell.

Back