New motherboard... won't boot... I'm lost

bhag

Weaksauce
Thinking my previous motherboard went out, I just installed a new Gigabyte UD3P with system below. My computer won't boot... monitor, mouse, keyboard won't respond/aren't recongnized.

Powers up, fans run, dvd lights up and that's about it. After it sits for about a minute or two it automatically shuts down and tries to reboot.

I'm kind of (well really) lost atm.

Could it be my power supply?

Check procezzors.

Also pull all non essentialls... CPU + heatsink + ram + motherboard is all you need.

Even try pulling ram and see if you get post beeps...

take your board out, reseat the cpu. insert the ram and vga... leave the rest behind and see if it boots. Work from there on. Have you plugged in the 12v (4/8 pin) power connector to the mainboard?
And yes... does it give you any beeps?

Tried this morning pulling out the ram... no beeps at all. It powers up... no beeps... shuts down... repeats. Just the essentials plugged in. Pretty much runs for a few seconds and shuts down. Any thoughts?

The problem is this is the exact issue I was facing with my last motherboard... hence the new motherboard (which I thought was the problem). Apparently not. :confused:

Is my processor dead? I'm thinking this may be the cause as the new motherboard is doing the same thing as the old one. Even took it out of the case with the same results.

Thanks to anyone offering help... this is the first problem with my first build... has run 2.5 years without a hitch.

id say its your psu.. maybe a bad cap in it.. but funny enough i had same problem and it was a bad power button on the case.. i was just about to yank the brand new hx620 in it and try a zalman heatpipe psu but checked the power button and it was broken and kinda stuck in.. switch psu's check led error code lights if any..

How do I test the PSU? Unfortunately I don't have an extra one around. I used a paper clip between pins 14/15 and the PSU powered up and fans came on... this was with motherboard removed. This is the only thing I could find on the forums about testing a PSU. Anything else I can do to test the PSU?

Not sure what to order next... a CPU or PSU.

I do have a meter, just may need some guidance.

Is your cpu heatsink loose? If it can move AT ALL, then you need to reseat your heatsink and the best way to do that is to remove the motherboard so that you can see the pins protruding from the back of the board.

OK if I'm doing this correctly I'm getting voltages of

9v yellow
2.5v red
1.5v orange

So it looks like it's my PSU eh? This is with a non-digital meter.

Back