new northbridge cooler for DFI Dark P35, any thoughts?

soloz2

Limp Gawd
My northbride gets pretty warm in my rig, I know it'll void the warranty, but I'd like to get a cooler for it.
I'm thinking something like this, but am unsure if it will fit. any ideas?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233021

system specs:
Intel Q6600
DFI P35 Dk mobo
8Gb g.skill RAM
8800GTS 512
Auentech Prelude

cooling:
GPU: AC Accelero S1 Rev. 2 with undervolted Yate Loon (soon to be scythe slipstream)
CPU: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 w/ Noctua NF-P12 air blowing straight up
2 Scythe Slipstream fans on top of CM690 as exhaust, 1 rear as exaust. 1 Yate Loon intake on front of case.

I'm thinking that a northbridge cooler similar to what I posted would be able to get air movement as the air blows straight up across the video card through the northbridge to the cpu and out of the case.

I think you would get great results simply putting a small fan on the heat sink at bring that temp down. With a Q6600 you likely are not pushing the upper limits of FSB for that board anyway to warrant a huge upgrade in north bridge cooling. Its not going to gain you much other than being able to say "Look my north bridge temp went down"

For a passive P35 compatable chipset cooler, Xigmatek's Porter N881, Thermalright's IFX HR-05, and Noctua's NC-U6 are all great passive coolers. For active coolers, the Microcool Northpole XE and Swiftech's MCX-159cu are quiet and great performers. Personally, I'm going with the Thermalright HR-05, but that's only based on the fact that I heart Thermalright.

Did you get that cooler? Do you like it?

I'm looking into a similar situation, and was hoping to glean a little insight from your experience.

Back