New OC High E6700 @ 3618 but questions..

1erCru

Limp Gawd
I recently went to a 9 multiplier, was using 8 and a 440 fsb but my ram wasn't stable. Upon setting the multiplier to 9 I realized I could run 3.6 ghz and the ram @ 800 4-4-4-12 2.1 volt.

This eliminated memory issues so I decided to see if I could actually keep a stable 3.6.
The problem is this, I need to set the voltage higher than I think is necessary. I see many people @ 3.5-3.7 ghz and their voltages are usually high 1.4's to mid 1.5's on vcore.

In my bios I have to set the voltage to 1.63v , but the actual voltage listed is lower, closer to 1.55-1.56 ish. Isn't this voltage too high? I mean i am approaching 1.6v on the core just to get 3.6 ghz? I have tested for stability using Orthos and it passes. My temps get a wee bit hot under 100% utilization, about 60C. Yet my temps under load under all normal gaming applications max at about 55C, my idle is mid 40's.

Basically I was just wondering if giving a chip this voltage is bad, even if my temps are under control. Any users around the 3.6 ghz mark, I would like to know the voltage you are using. I assume my chip simply needs more voltage to keep a stable 3.6. Yet I see some people @ 3.6 with insanely low voltages, which I don't understand.

Also why is the actual voltage listed in the bios hardware monitor and various other cpu core monitors alot lower than the setting I dictate in the bios.

Thnx for any info or suggestions

I've got the E6700 and can get it stable at 3.3g at stock voltage. Any higher than that and I really have to start putting the voltage to it to get it stable. I've got it to boot at 3.9g but had it up over 1.6v and even though I'm on water it was approaching 70c load temps. Any time you increase the voltage beyond what the manufacturer recommends you are probably going to lessen the life of the chip. With that being said though, if your smart about it and don't run it with so much voltage that it gets exceedingly hot you should be fine.

As far as what you set your voltage to in bios and what the actual voltage is being read by 3rd party programs being different, that's called voltage droop. It's common and you shouldn't really worry about it. Just know that what you set in bios and actual voltage will be different.

Some chips will OC better than others. That's why you see some peeps OC's much higher than what most can attain. It's really the luck of the draw whether you get a chip like that or not. It does seem that you can find out what week that a good OC'ing chip was made and most of those will clock similarly. But again, there's no guarantee.

1.6 is a lot.

Intel says the maximum voltage should be 1.55V.

I've seen some people using 1.7V (crazy) and others won't go past 1.4.

I think 1.5 is a healthy limit.

i wouldnt go above 1.5v with the 60nm chips unless you have water or better cooling

Depends on chip

My 6600 does 3.7ghz 1.45V stable on water but anything above 1.5V enters active monitor state according to Intel Thermal Analysis tool and cpu strats throttling since temps hit 85C mark. With opened window I can easily run orthos at 3.85ghz :)

Back