New OC'er, couple Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanisthecoastie

Supreme [H]ardness
As you saw, im brand new to overclocking, very addicting and ive barely even started tweaking! Spent all day yesterday reading about different techniques and such and decided to finally give it a shot, taking it easy and playing it safe so far.

What im using:

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X

Phenom II X4 965 BE 140W

ZALMAN CNPS9900

PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS750QBL 750W

All right, so far all i have messed with is changing the multi and vcore a tad, dont fully understand how to do FSB tweaks yet.

on changing multi by itself i can go 3.6ghz stable prime95 for 3 hours, but anything after that i have to start messing with the voltage. cpuz shows what i think to be MASSIVE fluctuation, which i think is a PS problem. Ive heard my PS is a POS so i might swap it out for something better. temps under full load at 3.6 were around 42 tops. could be better but it ran fine.

I pushed the temps more and changed the multi to 19, which i needed to up to 1.5v, which is where i have some trouble keeping it stable. It will run prime 95 for about 5 mins before bluescreen. now, at this vcore i start to get iffy because most of what i read says to stay in the 1.4 range, is that correct? Im scared to keep upping the voltage because once i hit 1.5 the heat is just too much i think, it pushed the cores to about 56c max, hovering around 54 for the most part. I cant keep it stable at 1.5, should i keep pushing the voltage? In BFBC2 it runs fine, stable for a couple hours, temps around 48 which im comfortable with.

What are the heat tolerances with this chip? Ive googled and find answers all over the place so Im not sure whats safe and whats not. Any tips for what i should start to tweak next being new?

I turned off acc, cool and quiet, and all the normal stuff.

should i change powersupplies? I am quite worried about the voltages being reported by cpuz, i have it set in bios (i do everything in bios FYI) to 1.5, but in cpuz it shows it dropping to around 1.38 under load sometimes! is this normal?

I'm interested in this too, as I've never overclocked before and am planning to overclock a 955BE in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back