New, official betas out - 163.11 for Vista x86/x64

Don't forget the 162.22 which are also for the 8000 series, as well as 6000 and 7000. I assume that the 163.11 are better for 8000 users though.

Perfect timing as these are supposed to be a DX10 booster. Today will be my first day gaming on my 1080p TV, so I'll have to put Lost Planet through it's paces.

Beat me to it, but here is a driver rundown anyway:

Lots of new beta drivers have been OFFICIALLY released over the past couple of days by nVidia, so let's round 'em up!

nVidia Forceware 162.22 for Windows Vista x86-32 (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

nVidia Forceware 162.22 for Windows Vista x86-64 (64-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

And then we have some newer specialty drivers designed to enhance DirectX 10 performance (especially in World in Conflict):

nVidia Forceware 163.11 for Windows Vista x86-32 (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

nVidia Forceware 163.11 for Windows Vista x86-64 (64-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

Aaaand lastly we have some driver lovin' for you lowly XP users as well:

nVidia Forceware 162.18 for Windows XP/2000/2K3 x86-32 (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD @ nVidia]

So, what are you waiting for? RunGoGitEm!!!!

Excellent, hopefully these provide a good boost over my 158.45 (rock solid btw) in performance. We should see a boost in DX9 and 10. I'll run the LP demo when I get back home and see if I can get a boost from 48fps avg in snow to maybe 55+. Heck if they perform like this on a shoddy 360 port/demo, then I'll have even higher hopes for Crysis and WiC.:cool:

I just read the release notes, I didn't see too much about DX10, and apparently they fix/do next to nothing for the GTS... dang GTX is getting all the loving :(

Edit: 162 says this:

Increased Total Graphics Memory under Windows Vista for GeForce
7 and 8 series GPUs

My 320mb is soon to be a 640mb version!

Any 'fixes' they note for the GTX are going to be retroactive to the GTS really...

So where are the supposedly monthly released WHQL drivers from Nvidia?

Think they promised those months ago :(

Can't try these yet as I'm at work....

But someone post what the new "HDR" on/off/application preference setting does!

So where are the supposedly monthly released WHQL drivers from Nvidia?

Think they promised those months ago :(

Until further notice, WHQL vista drivers don't mean squat. Besides, most of the Beta drivers are rather stable for most people (some will still have problems here and there, blame it on user error and different/rare setups by those people). The whole MS qualification is rather moot right now. I don't think we'll see WHQL drivers released monthly until later on this yr, or by early next. The WHQL drivers that are being released are about every other month, no big deal really...everyone just uses Betas anyway.

just installed mine for 7800gt on vista x64...didnt help my source fps =[

so anyone see any improvements in the gtx and ultra family? Also did dx10 support improve by chance?

I didn't notice any real graphics improvements... although after installing these drivers, the crackling audio on my X-Fi went away. That alone was worth the install.

Excellent drivers.

My Lost Planet FPS went up 2-3 frames and my water shader bug finally disappeared in Far Cry.

I installed them last night on my 8600GTS/Vista 32bit. They worked fine in Oblivion which is the only game I played last night, but there didn't seem to be any performance or graphics quality difference.

Excellent drivers.

My Lost Planet FPS went up 2-3 frames and my water shader bug finally disappeared in Far Cry.

I concur, only my LP demo in the snow went up, 3fps. The cave was the same. Although if I turn on the new HDR option, I lose all 3 fps, no bigge still :). That's 51 and 53fps avg with 16CSAA/16AF and everything maxed except for motion blur (ugh), HDR (medium, high = no difference) and shadow quality (medium w/ high resolution shadows)

I concur, only my LP demo in the snow went up, 3fps. The cave was the same. Although if I turn on the new HDR option, I lose all 3 fps, no bigge still :). That's 51 and 53fps avg with 16CSAA/16AF and everything maxed except for motion blur (ugh), HDR (medium, high = no difference) and shadow quality (medium w/ high resolution shadows)

What res is that on?

I dl'd these for the World In Conflict beta but game keeps crashing with that driver stopped responding crap, I thought Nvidia fixed that.

My world in conflict benchmark fps went up abit (the open beta is dx10).

Actually if you have a DX10 capable part its DX10 by default, but you can turn off the "use dx10 rendering" option in the advanced graphics option to run in DX9.

I dl'd these for the World In Conflict beta but game keeps crashing with that driver stopped responding crap, I thought Nvidia fixed that.

Something else is wrong with your system. The drivers above work fine for WiC on an 8800GTX like you have...

I am also running WiC under Vista x64 with the beta driver and all is well. Doing 1680x Very high 4xAA|16xAF.

Running through heavy grass in "Oblivion" still has a rough action compared to XP SP-2 though.

So which should I choose if I play World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XI? DX9 and DX8.1 respectively.

Would the 163.11 be better than the 162.22? Why release a set of beta drivers? this makes no sense...

I see the 163.11 are for the 8-series only, but the 162.22's are for 6,7,8 cards.

i downloaded these drivers a few day ago. after a day of use, i keep getting the nvida driver has stopped responding. this happen in all of my games. FRAK.....

what to do......

i downloaded these drivers a few day ago. after a day of use, i keep getting the nvida driver has stopped responding. this happen in all of my games. FRAK.....

what to do......

..are you guys overclocking your CPU by chance?

What res is that on?

I am confined to a 1280x1024 res. It's good enough for me with the mountain of AA I can get :) (Btw, HDR was on Medium, again High = no difference, Driver-HDR does the same effect for about 1/5th the penalty). I feel that Crysis will do the same, if not 10fps lower, realistically. Going to go test out WiC...:eek: :D

LARGE EDIT: If anyone has tried the new drivers (w/DirectX10 SDK) with LP demo (don't have the new game so I don't know), prepare for something, neat :). Firstly upon starting the demo (Vista/DX10), you will get some sort of memory error. Click continue and LP will start as usual. You can run the perf. test or play one of the levels. You will get approximately 1fps less in caves and a bout 3fps less in snow. However, the textures and effects (includes HDR and lighting) are more pronounced and it makes the game have more feel. All of this on a shitty 360 port with a "DX10" patch. You may also experience VERY LITTLE corruption on the screen it self and a slightly "slower feel" in a few cases but your fps doesn't drop no more than around 3fps tbh. -I think this is due to that error you get with the demo as it's not fully optimized, and/or the demo (and game) are missing more real and advanced DX10 effects and abilities. Someone should try these drivers with LP the game and tell me if you notice a difference in the player/bug textures, lighting, and HDR...it can't be just me lol!

Settings are as follows: Everything on High except for HDR (medium, it now looks like HIGH with new drivers), motion-blur on medium, and Shadow Quality on Medium (looks like HIGH with new drivers, *Shadow Resolution still on HIGH).

When I first got my EVGA 8600GTS on saturday, I actually noticed a decreas in performance with the 158.18 drivers when compared to my OC'd 7600GTKO.. In Battlefield 2 it was all shakey and jumpy... FPS was smooth when it moved, but if I looked around too quickly, I would get bad stutters. FEAR was almost a no go, and DOOM 3 was a lot like BF2.... late last night I went to Guru3D and downloaded 163.11 and all my problems went away, I gained 1000points in 3DMark06 and all FPS jumped over 10fps. These drivers are doing wonders for me. I even overclocked the sucker to 775mhz/2200mhz, with Zalman cooling and it never goes above 50*c.

What will the 163.22 drivers give me over the 163.11? Anything?

These won't save my settings for scaling...so I went back to the 22's. I like the HDTV setting to choose the size of the picture on the latest sets, though. I'm hoping for an official set of WHQL's with this feature and the scaling fixed.

I am confined to a 1280x1024 res. It's good enough for me with the mountain of AA I can get :) (Btw, HDR was on Medium, again High = no difference, Driver-HDR does the same effect for about 1/5th the penalty). I feel that Crysis will do the same, if not 10fps lower, realistically. Going to go test out WiC...:eek: :D

LARGE EDIT: If anyone has tried the new drivers (w/DirectX10 SDK) with LP demo (don't have the new game so I don't know), prepare for something, neat :). Firstly upon starting the demo (Vista/DX10), you will get some sort of memory error. Click continue and LP will start as usual. You can run the perf. test or play one of the levels. You will get approximately 1fps less in caves and a bout 3fps less in snow. However, the textures and effects (includes HDR and lighting) are more pronounced and it makes the game have more feel. All of this on a shitty 360 port with a "DX10" patch. You may also experience VERY LITTLE corruption on the screen it self and a slightly "slower feel" in a few cases but your fps doesn't drop no more than around 3fps tbh. -I think this is due to that error you get with the demo as it's not fully optimized, and/or the demo (and game) are missing more real and advanced DX10 effects and abilities. Someone should try these drivers with LP the game and tell me if you notice a difference in the player/bug textures, lighting, and HDR...it can't be just me lol!

Settings are as follows: Everything on High except for HDR (medium, it now looks like HIGH with new drivers), motion-blur on medium, and Shadow Quality on Medium (looks like HIGH with new drivers, *Shadow Resolution still on HIGH).

Wow I didn't think that the Motion Blur made such a big hit in FPS, or at least in smoothness. Anyways, I have the newest drivers, 163.11 I think. I wanted to see what you were talking about, I have the 320mb version. Anyways, there was no error when I booted up the demo, but I think that FPS have gone up. I played at 4xAA, 16xAF, medium shadow quality, high shadow res (shadows look very good), HDR on medium, and yes, I do think it is brighter now. But I don't mind, like when you're looking up in a snowstorm, I don't expect to see everything, so I thought it was kind of well-done. On the first level, right at the beginning, it was kind of fun trying to aim up as those alien thingys were overtop of me.

Anyways, I had played all the way through the second level, but this is the first time I played through the first one. Dang, that Cave is pretty fun! I might just buy this game now. The graphics were always at 30+, and it felt smooth to me. Only thing I might try is VSYNC next, because at the end boss when he was rolling all over the place my monitor was tearing, and I HATE tearing!! So distracting....

Yeah, don't worry about the error message (or corruption), turned out my ram timings where a little too tight that day lol. -All is well now though. I simply noticed that the textures were better, the detail was a step up with the new betas. If you want to try vsync, enable triple buffering naturally (your shadow's animation will be choppy sadly). My monitor just cannot keep up with the GTS, if I spin real fast then it will skip the frame ahead to where it needs to be. Without vsync and triple buffering, it tears but it's a quick tear and not really noticable (but the big bug fight has its moments). You will only incur a small 5-7fps hit on average. Your minimum fps may drop by around 3fps. I really do think I have the best settings. Just think of how low-effort this DX10 mode is, can't wait for some Crytek love (should have 17X.xx drivers then). Naturally drivers will likely continue to improve.

Another reason to show that Capcom did a crappy job at the port and for the patch is that High HDR and High Shadow Quality cuts your frames by over 50%. Meanwhile, the difference is extremely negligible from Medium.

Well i just ran some World in Conflict benchmarks on my machine. I dual boot XP/Vista on this, so heres the nitty gritty:

1920*1200 0xAA/4xAF All settings within the game maxed as high as possible (as XP allows them to maintain consistensy). Run on a 8800GTS 640mb @ 650/950

Windows XP: 31fps benchmark - 84fps at beginning of tutorial

Windows Vista: 26fps benchmark - 63fps beginning of tutorial.

Vista and DX10 still sucking :sad:

Back