New OS install if switching P55 mobos?

bitgod

Gawd
I'm thinking about going to another P55 motherboard, does it seem likely I could do this without have to do a fresh OS install? It's practically all the same hardware, the only thing I haven't confirmed yet is the LAN and audio chipset, and I don't use the on-board on this one anyway, so that halfway doesn't matter. I'd just rather not have to spend another day of loading stuff up if I can avoid it.

Eh, now that I think of it, the EVGA mobo I'm thinking about has a different I/O controller. Blah, getting tired of dealing with jerky systems.

What do you mean it has a different I/O controller? Doesn't the P55 chipset do that? It controls SATA and all that stuff so I don't see how that would pose a problem. Unless you're using a third party RAID controller like from Jmicron-powered SATA ports; which you shouldn't because P55 should give better performance anyway.

Although I recommend always reformatting no matter what, since you're going from p55 to p55 you will be fine plugging in the HDD and going to town.

Do a full back-up and include an image of your OS drive,(Windows 7 option, maybe vista too?) create a restore disk. When you get the system back up reboot from the restore disk and it will find the backup image and put you in a pretty good place with minimal work.

if it is the same SATA controller, Chipset, and cpu, then it should be fine. You will likely have to load the drivers for things like the NIC and audio, but that's small stuff. I've done it many times. Even moving processors or chipsets, within the same family, is doable. I moved a RAID 0 pair from a P35 board with an E4300 chip to a P45 board with an E8400 chip before and all I had to change was the audio driver, and reactivate Windows Vista. (Vista is remarkably picky about hardware. I once put a sound card in, tested it, then pulled it out and Vista told me to reactivate.)

As advised previously, do a backup before doing anything, though. Just in case. :)

Back