New P5B will not post with Dell components

IronChefMorimoto

Limp Gawd
I'm at my buddy's house helping him build a computer with new parts (case, PSU, Zalman CPU cooler, ASUS P5B motherboard, Seagate SATA2 Barracuda hard drive) and a CPU and memory from a Dell small form factor Socket 775 machine.

We checked out the Dell CPU and DDR2 before the build -- CPU is the Intel P4 Prescott 540 (???) and the memory is DDR2 PC3200 (??? - 800Mhz FSB). I'm new to these Intel speeds (always been an AMD guy).

The CPU and memory were working fine on the Dell. However, in our build, we're not getting ANY BIOS screen notices or POST codes/beeps. We have done the following to troubleshoot:
  • 1 DIMM vs. 2 DIMMs - used both of the 1GB DDR2 from the Dell
  • Changed video cards - we dropped in the Dell fanless 64MB PCI-E card that came with the SFF
  • Checked all power connections
  • 120mm and 80mm case fans are running
  • Zalman 7700 copper CPU fan is mounted and running
  • Asus P5B is showing power light

Any suggestions?

IronChefMorimoto

Try setting it up outside the case, might have a shorting issue going on. Also I wouldnt be suprised if the Dell memory wont work on that board, or any non Dell board for that matter.

We mis-read the CPU-Z data on the memory (duh -- we should've looked at the f---ing Samsung DDR2 part #). We have DDR2-400 -- not DDR2-800. So the board doesn't support it.

Removing the memory, though, did give us an undocumented POST beep code:

BEEEEEEEEEP - BEEP BEEP - BEEEEEEEEEP - BEEP BEEP

My friend disagrees with the length of BEEEEEEEEEP, but I swear it was BEEEEEEEEEP instead of BEEP. He's a smartass.

So -- BEFORE we go blow $200 or less at Fry's tomorrow for REAL DDR2-800, does the POST code mean anything? Other than, "Hey, dumbass and smartass, put in some memory?"

Thanks!

IronChefMorimoto

Long continuous beeps indicates a memory error, which makes sense if its not installed.

A 2 second beep, followed by 2 short beeps is a RAM error...

According to the Asus tech I just spoke with... :eek:

Back