New PC Build - $1200-1400 budget

Gnu314

Limp Gawd
It is finally time for me to build a new PC. I'm probably going to ask for parts for Christmas and build during the break between the holidays.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

• Mostly just gaming, even though I've mostly grown out of PC gaming I'd like to have something that can handle new games as they come out.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

• Ideally $1200 to $1400 USD. Taxes and Shipping need to be included

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

• Detroit, MI. We have a Microcenter in close proximity to me.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

• CPU, Ram, Motherboard, SSD, HD, Video Card, Case, PSU, Monitor, OS

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

• KB and Mouse. I can even be talked into getting a new mouse.

6) Will you be overclocking?

• I don't plan on it, I have in the past and might change my mind on this but it isn't necessary for my usage.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

• I'm planning on getting a 1920x1080 24" monitor or two.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

• After Christmas, before the end of the year.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

• I don't anticipate using Crossfire or SLI. I don't want to run RAID. Anything else is a bonus but not necessary

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

• I have a transferrable copy of Windows 7 but would prefer to keep that rig operational. I plan on purchasing a copy of Windows 10.

Below is the build I put together based upon what I perceived to be my requirements.

Please pick it apart and if I can save money or get a better part please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

PC Hound didn't have the case that I want. I really like the Solo case and probably will go with it again unless someone has a very strong better option.

https://pchound.com/SyYTXf/

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XcVPZL

Last edited:
The Evo 850 250 gig is on sale on Amazon for $77 which seems like a great deal.

Does anyone have any comments on the rest of the rig I put together?

Everything looks good, although you could easily go with 8 gigs and buying cheaper ram as it will not affect any kind of gaming performance and add the remaining ~100$ to get a 144hz monitor or a 980.

Your call!

Cheers

The Evo 850 250 gig is on sale on Amazon for $77 which seems like a great deal.

Does anyone have any comments on the rest of the rig I put together?

250G is not that much space to work with.

I've changed my mind on that after talking to a friend.

I'm going to go with a 500g SSD and I'll add a HDD at some point in the future if/when I run out of space.

250G is not that much space to work with.
Depends on what you use the computer for. I use mine for web browsing and light gaming. Since I am only playing 2-3 video games at any given time I just have to deal with installing and uninstalling them when I am done to make room for the next one. I have plenty of secondary HDD's for storage to go along with it though.

This is my current build list. I picked up a Corsair RM 650 last week for $59.99(!).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($318.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($155.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1296.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-07 12:20 EST-0500

Back