New PC Build

jetjaguar

2[H]4U
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, After Effects, Premiere Pro CS 6, Photoshop, Lightroom
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around 1500 or so
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

New Jersey, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU (3930k) , ram (would want 32gb), case, motherboard, gpu, psu, cooling, keyboard, mouse
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
2tb wd black
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
30in .. 2560x1600 .. might possibly be running dual 30s down the road
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
very soon
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
raid, sli, sata 6, usb 3, 8 dimm slots
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
already have win7 64bit legit

I haven't used a pc since a few years ago since I went all Mac .. i use a mac laptop but recently sold my 8 core mac pro .. since I will be using adobe premier using a pc has become an option again. How are the corsair hydro coolers for cpus ?? been a few years since I checked out PC stuff.

Last edited:
I recommend waiting for Ivy Bridge, due out in late April/Early May. So please come back then and bump up this thread if you want up-to-date build advice

And to answer your question: The Corsair Hydro series are good coolers if you're looking for a "WOW" factor but if you want bang for the buck, you're looking at an air cooling HSF.

doesn't really stop me from other components though .. only the cpu would be on hold cuz aren't the z77 boards out now? I am not really looking for the WOW factor with that cooler but if it cools better than air and is quieter .. that would be a plus

Kind of does: Generally parts I recommend in April may not be the same parts I recommend in May due to deals and such. Not to mention why buy parts early when there's a chance that they might arrive DOA and you can't test them?

Also, which version of Windows 7 do you have? Are you close to this New Jersey Microcenter?:
http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/north_jersey.html

Kind of does: Generally parts I recommend in April may not be the same parts I recommend in May due to deals and such. Not to mention why buy parts early when there's a chance that they might arrive DOA and you can't test them?

Also, which version of Windows 7 do you have? Are you close to this New Jersey Microcenter?:
http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/north_jersey.html

win 7 64 bit professional

yea I'm close to them .. about 20 min away

ok I'm ready for a build .. the cpu i want is the 3930k .. 6 core sandy .. not waiting for ivy

ok I'm ready for a build .. the cpu i want is the 3930k .. 6 core sandy .. not waiting for ivy

I don't think your budget will be high enough for that: You're looking at $600 for the CPU, $320 for a solid socket 2011 mobo with 8 DIMM slots, and $500 for the GTX 680 2GB. You have a high resolution for gaming and you're planning on using a bunch of Adobe software that can take advantage of Nvidia's CUDA tech. Hence the GTX 680. Thats $1420 right there.

$885 - Intel Core i7 3930K + Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX Motherboard Combo
$200 - 4 x Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM
$500 - Any GTX 680 2GB card from Asus, Gigabyte, eVGA, or MSI around that $500 price point when you buy.
$44 - Zalman CNPS10X Performa 120mm HSF
296 - Corsair HX850 850W Modular PSU + Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case Combo
----
Total: $1925 plus tax and shipping.

As for mouse and keyboard, I recommend hitting up the Keyboard and mouse subforum we have for recommendations.

$885 - Intel Core i7 3930K + Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX Motherboard Combo
$200 - 4 x Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM
$500 - Any GTX 680 2GB card from Asus, Gigabyte, eVGA, or MSI around that $500 price point when you buy.
$44 - Zalman CNPS10X Performa 120mm HSF
296 - Corsair HX850 850W Modular PSU + Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case Combo
----
Total: $1925 plus tax and shipping.

As for mouse and keyboard, I recommend hitting up the Keyboard and mouse subforum we have for recommendations.

thanks .. I was going to say that I didnt need a board with 8 slots as long as i could get 32gb of ram .. how is that board for overclocking ?? would be nice to get to 4.3/ 4.4 ghz ..
maybe microcenter has a better price on that combo .. gotta check .. thanks for taking the time

do you think the 3930k is worth it .. or should i just pick up the 2600k at micro for 200 and o/c it

Asus Sabertooth motherboards seem to be great overclockers from the results I've seen/heard, I know my x58 was a great overclocker (I sold my rig recently), not sure how the x79 in particular would perform, but I doubt those will be weak overclockers.

thanks .. I was going to say that I didnt need a board with 8 slots as long as i could get 32gb of ram .. how is that board for overclocking ?? would be nice to get to 4.3/ 4.4 ghz ..

As metallicaband noted, Sabertooth mobos in general tends to be solid overclocking mobos.
do you think the 3930k is worth it .. or should i just pick up the 2600k at micro for 200 and o/c it

Considering that you live near a MC, the 3930K isn't worth it when the 2600K is available at MC for $200. You're effectively paying three times the price for only two more cores.

Back