New Project Information

King_N

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2007
Hi all,

As I stated in the other thread, since the discontinuance of UD was announced I have been working with Kyle.

1] Must be a Humanitarian(medical based research), Non-Profit project.

This team was founded on the basis that we are helping humanity by using our spare cycles to aid medical research in order to help find cures to dreadful diseases, we are going to stick by that till the end.

2] Official Projects

[H] is going to continue to support only 2 projects, or just 1 if folding is chosen as the only project.

3] Choosing the project

So with the specifics out of the way let's get to choosing our new project.

1 [H]ard Team, 2 Great Projects, 1 Common Goal..... The Cure.

Site Admin: [H]ard|Folding
Lurker Extraordinaire

I don't really have an opinion, if nothing is chosen, I'll move over to F@H. I'm going to do something to help, and it doesn't matter to me what I use to do it. (as long as it has the support of [H], of course ;) )

*edit* I do like the look of WCG, and possibly R@H, I would happily move to either one.

While I would understand letting only UD members express their pick on which project, It would be unwise to not let FAH members participate since a bunch of them is also considering switching a few boxens to a different project like me and charpman. However, we should also make a system where UD will have a voice while letting FAH chime theirs to a lesser extend.

As has already been mentioned, this is a new chapter in the [H] folding community, and as such, everyone should get a say, this is a team afterall.... :rolleyes:

On second thought, let's leave this open....shall we? ;)
Good thing this ain't a democracy.

I completely agree, Marty. This is a democracy.

This vote will not be confined to UD members only. It just plain won't work.

News flash, the days of the "old guard" calling the shots are over. We do things differently here now and I have the word of Kyle that no matter what the TEAM decides to do, HardOCP will be behind us.

Kyle said:
YOU GUYS need to figure out what we want to do. I personally would rather go with a single Folding project, but that is not my call. You guys need to discuss it, orgainize what you want to do and then present it to me and HardOCP will get behind you on it. I will be back in town soon and will be able to watch this closer.

Project involvement will not become something that a select few decide....not anymore.

If there are any problems with this, let me know.

On second thought, let's leave this open....shall we? ;)

I completely agree, Marty. This is a democracy.

This vote will not be confined to UD members only. It just plain won't work.

News flash, the days of the "old guard" calling the shots are over. We do things differently here now and I have the word of Kyle that no matter what the TEAM decides to do, HardOCP will be behind us.

Project involvement will not become something that a select few decide....not anymore.

If there are any problems with this, let me know.

Good call, I agree with this and let everyone participate !!

As I said in the other thread... I think we're all adults and that we can come to an informed decision and have a civil debate about all of this... I've always seen us (the DC forum) as one TEAM.... it doesn't matter to me if you do/did UD or F@H, you're still helping the cause....

We just need to step back and see whats out there.... talk and debate about things.... let everyone chime in and give their thoughts, and then we can make a decision as a team

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

I am with a majority of you, I have older machines, and one machine that is becoming dated.
Freshly married with not much money to upgrade everything, and now *boo* paying my own elec.. so the p3's haven't even tasted juice in a few months.

I say first thing, we should take a vote to see if we WANT to add another project.
If there is enough demand, then we will determine which is the best "Fit" for the [H]

This is what I've thought about over the past couple of days, see what you guys think.

I personally would like to see a replacement project for older machines and people who may have proxy issues etc. That way everyone like K* and Moose can stay involved if they so want.

I was thinking we could all discuss projects that come to mind, then have a vote of:

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) No New Project

I thought doing it this way would be the most diplomatic and allow everyone to have a forum for thier discussions, questions and concerns.

Before this thread gets too far out of hand let me state that the reasoning for UD members being the only vote is because of fairness, 1000+ F@H members will win any majority vote for F@H being the only project. The UD members are the ones that lost their project, why should people not involved in that project be able to decide what the people that were should do next?

This is why Kyle agreed that UD members are the only ones to vote on this, the original message was pre-approved by Kyle not more then 5 minutes before it was posted.

He can verify this upon his return.

Despite what is thought, not all F@H people will *only* vote for F@H, many of us have tried UD in the past, and for whatever reasons stayed with F@H, went back to F@H, stayed with UD, or did both.

For me, I didn't like the client and how it worked on my computers, but I am open to new programs and projects, and am a part of this team.

Before this thread gets too far out of hand let me state that the reasoning for UD members being the only vote is because of fairness, 1000+ F@H members will win any majority vote for F@H being the only project. The UD members are the ones that lost their project, why should people not involved in that project be able to decide what the people that were should do next?

This is why Kyle agreed that UD members are the only ones to vote on this, the original message was pre-approved by Kyle not more then 5 minutes before it was posted.

He can verify this upon his return.
UD members will have full say as will all of us. As you can see from the poll, no one is saying that a second project should not be chosen. I don't think the UD crowd, myself included, has anything to worry about.

I'm in the same boat as K* here... I tried UD for awhile, used it on and off for awhile...

In the end, I don't think 1000 F@Hers will vote to get rid of a second official team...

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Regarding comment made about the old guard, that attitude is why we have so few of the old guard left. I know that is why I rarely come to the forum anymore and why I am considering running teamless when I start my DC participation back up. I am finally about to get internet connection at home again and trying to decide what project to run. I do know that if the attitude of a lot of the newer team members stays the same that I will not be DCing for the [H] and that is a shame since I made my DC start here shortly after the team began. I would make a list of all the old members who have left, but it is too depressing. Not all due to the bashing we get, but far too many. I came back to forum to see what is happening, find out UD is dead, but the fracture in the dead is alive and kicking.

Only requirement I have in a project is that is tries to find cure for diseases that destroy lives of too many of our friends and family and cause so much heartbreak in our lives. I would hope that our main concern would be saving lives and not who is in charge around here. I think the UD members should decide what project they want to run, as King said, they are the ones having to find new project. I know I have serious problems running F@H due to things that have happened in the past that I won't get into. Personally, no one can force anyone here to do something they don't want to do. We are all volunteers and can use our machines to run whatever project we want. I would like to express my hope that the majority want to run a project to benefit the health of mankind and not something that might not do so.

AFAIK, there is potential of F@H Members to run the new program(s) if one is selected, as I most likely will.

Or is it the assumption that all former UD members will be the ONLY people who take part in the new program?

With that knowledge, do you still want to limit the decision of which program is run to a handful of people, or to the whole team, who will most likely want to try participating in it as well?

AFAIK, there is potential of F@H Members to run the new program(s) if one is selected, as I most likely will.

Or is it the assumption that all former UD members will be the ONLY people who take part in the new program?

With that knowledge, do you still want to limit the decision of which program is run to a handful of people, or to the whole team, who will most likely want to try participating in it as well?
I agree.

I don't see this as a UD only issue. Any number of our members may want to participate. This is why all should get a vote...and they will. :)

We need a second project that can be done with older slower hardware.
A lot of people had their boxes that could not complete the F@H WUs in time, doing UD.

So not to loose them from the team, we need a second project.

I'm personally testing R@H right now, and next week I will test the Climate program to see how it runs.

Who else is testing new projects?

I'm in this boat as well. I would potentially run a new project as most of my points have been towards folding. This is why I think it should be a team wide vote because perhaps the new project will interest other members as well.

I'm in this boat as well. I would potentially run a new project as most of my points have been towards folding. This is why I think it should be a team wide vote because perhaps the new project will interest other members as well.

Yes, count me as a potential new member for the new project. I'm currently looking at downloading either WCG or R@H for my slowest laptop as a testing platform. If I pick R@H, I will make sure to join AtomicMoose's team.

This is why we should be voting as a team and avoid isolating a crowd. We all have a common goal, which is to find cures to diseases and it would be stupid to fight about petty details. King_N, if you are afraid to see F@H members put their weight against something you believe firmly, it's easier to prepare yourself to prove that project X or Y is good for us.

Yes, count me as a potential new member for the new project. I'm currently looking at downloading either WCG or R@H for my slowest laptop as a testing platform. If I pick R@H, I will make sure to join AtomicMoose's team.

Just a word of clarification... It's not Moose's team, it's the [H]'s team, he just reserved the name for us if thats the route everyone chooses.

Another thing I'd like to add as well in thinking:

I have always LOVED the challenge aspect of this as well. I was very happy when we retook the lead and smoked the roos.

I definately do it for the cause, but I sure enjoy the sport involved as well, which is another reason I'd love to do a new project and work on us kicking more ass. :)

p[H]ant0m;1030976405 said:
Just a word of clarification... It's not Moose's team, it's the [H]'s team, he just reserved the name for us if thats the route everyone chooses.

Yeah, I said the Moose team but I wanted to mean it's the new team made by him...

threads talking about new possible projects FTW

how about we just get an info thread on the different projects, vote on them, and be done with it?

No, there should be some testing, background checks, make sure the stuff is really where we want our weight behind.

No, there should be some testing, background checks, make sure the stuff is really where we want our weight behind.

This is the truth... as has been mentioned, there's a ton to consider on any project that is undertaken. I'm guessing the first step would be to see what criteria everyone is looking for, maybe narrow it down there before anyone start thinking about testing too much and whatnot.

I've been pretty much a strictly FAH kinda guy, but I did try out UD at one time. I'm sticking with FAH. I have zero problem with the guys who used to run UD gravitating to another project. Naturally I'd like to see some of them come to FAH, but not all will for whatever reason.

I don't see why we can't have a 2nd project for those who don't want to run FAH. I don't really have a dog in this fight.

well lets pick people to do that, and post their findings, vote and done....no more bickering.

well lets pick people to do that, and post their findings, vote and done....no more bickering.

I'm already running R@H on 1 box (P4 1.6 williamette) and the first unit is expected to be completed in under 14 hours, so it's a nice thing. The same box with FAH will get only 30-36 ppd with a WU completed each 5-7 days.

I agree we should form small groups for testing the various projects then report the findings.

I say Rosetta@home. I remember hearing about how it complemented Folding@home's research. I'm not very well versed in the life sciences, so I can't recall, let alone explain, how. But I think it would be a good choice. Not sure on how well it works/doesn't work on older machines.

Random thoughts:

(Disclaimer only my opinion)

• I feel the first question on if there should be a second project is a valid one. For me I've always found it odd that:
    A. there are 2 teams in a 98.9% FAH orientated forum (based on sheer volume of discussion topics) and
    B. [H] did not readily support all DC projects openly. I know these two statements are at odds with each other, just has always been my thought.
  • I'd be of the mind to recommend one team except for one glaring problem which has no work around: People being pissed/holding a grudge at Stanford. I myself have found my FAH interest waning severely of late. Sadly in my case it's due to personality conflicts with the FCF staff which in no way directly reflects on Stanford. However, indirectly Stanford seems to condone such action but that's for another rant. This one is a deal breaker, people who don't want to run FAH will walk.
  • FAH is by in large the most cutting edge DC program on the planet. Maybe I'm wrong there but can anyone name a GPU program I can run on any video card? Can anyone name any program I can run on a PS3 outside of a game? SMP software is still in this day and age a rare, rare find. True the clients are far from perfect, and still in beta, but geez the shear number of advancements in FAH is mind bottling (hehe). This ain't your granpa's FAH. If you've not followed the events in FAH land the past year you owe it to yourself.
  • v6 of FAH and a point system restructure is due out soon, real soon. Maybe this will be better than sliced bread, who knows. Maybe look at all other projects, evaluate them, wait until v6 is out and look over the landscape. Maybe v6 will solve the proxy issues, maybe will support older hardware better who knows.
  • Side rant: WTF is with all this bitching about older hardware not working on FAH? The benchmark has NOT changed, it's still making the same exact, read exact same, as they were before. Granted, some systems (C2D on SMP) are making a lot more but system X is still making system X amounts of points it was today as yesterday.
  • I am/was thinking about "seeding" any new team with boxes at my shop (~ 20-40). Nothing promised, just a thought for a change. I like the idea of AIDS research, climate stuff, heck I still think SETI is a worth while cause.
  • That BONIC shit is goofy. Just so many programs to filter out.
  • UD members: Sadly, there is simply not may vocal UD members past/present that I know of. I can think of less than a handful and 2 of them are King/Moose. If anyone thinks the UD members would not get a fair shake in anything, they have potentially two very vocal members in their corner. I'd not worry about that.

I ran out of steam a few bullets ago. I can swing either way.

***Old Guard Shit***: Be proud, all of you. You are the number 1 FAH team, by a large margin. You could take all of FLECOM's points, and daily production, off the board and still be in the #1 position. Any other team taking their top production donor off would kill them and here it don't even make a dent (ok, too large of a dent). Did anyone bother to notice [H] is 800K+ PPD right now? No.... 1st time ever on a 24/7 average that I'm aware of. FLECOM's is going a litte nuts swinging things but... it's a 24/7 average with no server side stats mess up.

Point is, you've all manage to get to where you are at not by mistake. Follow your guts and the decision will be the correct one. King, your tried to do a end run around Moose here- at least that's the way I see it. The way it is, would be the way Kyle said it. You all need to pick and I'm sure all of [H]ard|OCP will stand behind you.

ohh PS- too many threads on this topic already. This is an important thing don't let things go all to shit with too many threads on the same topic.

Down with Moose.

Also i have taken a break from forums, folding and posting as i got news yesterday that my fiance had died of a massive coronary about 5 minutes before i was to leave for the airport to visit her... You guys didn't know it but she was also diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer on sunday of this week ontop of lou gehrigs disease.. I,m heartbroken and very emotional right now so a break is what I need.. I,ll be back when things have settled down..

ty guys this is very hard to say the least I asked her to marry me about 7 weeks ago and she said yes But sadly its not to be.. I miss her so much as she was such a big part of my life.. I looked so forward to talking with her for hours a day.. I,m trying to justify this happeneing so quikly as that she didnt suffer but it still doesn't help me much I really feel for her 2 boys Josh and Sam.. I,m hoping they will be okay .. I,m going their this friday or saturday for the funeral , ake and to see whats going on with the boys

In case anyone forgot why we are here.

Did all the vodka go right to my head or am I seeing punctuation in Marty's posts? :eek:

Moose, I added my results the the [H] team at R@H. It's my main box AMD Opty 146 @ 2.7Ghz. So its fast and will have no trouble running thier WUs.

Next week I will fire back up one of my old AMD Athlon's and put that on R@H, and flip the main box over and test the Climate program. To see how the old 1.6 does at R@H and what the Climate program looks like.

Marty, their are people with older hardware that can't (for one reason or another) be on 24/7. these are the boxes that do not complete the F@H WUs in time.
I had a few running at my friends work place, they could only be on 10-12 a day M-F and off on weekends.
Once the Tinkers ran out, they would not complete the Gromacs in time so I had to shut them down.

Just my 0.02.

I understand were both sides are coming from on this entire issue of who can/can't vote. Why not meet on common ground? Why not have a weighted vote? I see how F@H has way more people and could really take any vote and make it go there way. Maybe take the UD and have there vote count more. I know that is really F'ed up. I mean every one should have an equal voice here and all but why should I be voting on something that I don't really plan on using?

I understand that doing a weighted vote would mean a lot of back end work but I see it as something that would help with this big rift that seems to be growing ATM. And maybe this kind of decision should be done through PM with the old guard/new guard and Kyle instead of posting it for all to see. I know if I was wanting to join a team right now and I was reading what was going on I wouldn't join b/c it seems like a bunch of children

Back