New PSU raises CPU temp dramatically

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I've got a friend who has just bought a OCZ powerstream 470 PSU and his CPU temps have gone from 33 to 40 at idle using a XP90 heatsink. Under load, it has caused his rig to reboot at a temp of around 53. His voltage rails are dead stable under the bios and asusprobe so i don't think that it's got anything to do with instability of the PSU. However, the PSU only has 2 fans, one in, one out, thus i reckon that it could be a source of heat in the case. Any ideas?

Cheers

Could be more heat in the box from bigger heatsink. The prior heatsink could have been undervolting the chip by .05 to .1 as well. The new heatsink, presumably at the right voltage might be causing the heat load.

ah, but the heatsink has not been changed. Only the PSU has been replaced.

Thanks anyways

Hmmm - maybe the CPU HSF was knocked when installing the new PSU? Maybe try reseating the HSF.

I dropped 5c on my case temp when I installed my Antec 550 - because b4 I was running a solution with only one fan.

Maybe the configuration of the fans on the new PSU has raised temps a bit? My PSU has one fan on the bottom and one on the back (good for pulling heat directly away from CPU). I notice that the OCZ has back > front setup.

Other than that - maybe the new PSU just moves less air (it looks to be a pretty quiet unit).

Cheers

Jelly :)

Yeah probably had a fan right over the HSF that was pulling air out, duct your HSF to the rear exhaust on your case and I bet it'll improve dramatically

It has more to do with the fans than anything else. People don't realize what a great source of heat removal those noisy power supply fans are for. I've seen my load temps drop 5° from the low to high settings on the PSU. I'll bet his last PSU was noisier.

They are a moderate source of heat, so yes that could be part of the problem.

he may have bumped the hsf and cracked whatever thermal past is on there. most of them harden after a set in time, and then if you move anything, they loose alot of thermal transfer capability.

i vote remove and clean hsf, reapply thermal goop and try again.

dabiggoober said:
Could be more heat in the box from bigger heatsink. The prior heatsink could have been undervolting the chip by .05 to .1 as well. The new heatsink meant to say PSU, presumably at the right voltage might be causing the heat load.

I misstyped.....

ok i'll tell my friend to apply thermal paste again. Though, he told me that he opened his case and took a powerful fan to blow in cool air into the case. Even with that, the CPU temp wouldn't drop below 40. This is a mystery to me so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

vanquished said:
ok i'll tell my friend to apply thermal paste again. Though, he told me that he opened his case and took a powerful fan to blow in cool air into the case. Even with that, the CPU temp wouldn't drop below 40. This is a mystery to me so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Reseat the heatsink. It's probably not making good thermal transfer at this point, and thus causing the temps to go higher. Also check the voltages. Perhaps the new PSU is causing the mobo to overvolt, or perhaps the old one was undervolting the CPU, and now the new PSU has increased the voltage to the proper ammounts. You might want to do a voltage check before and afrer the PSU change (ie put the old PSU in, check the voltages, then put the new one in, and check the voltages).

Ok, my friend has reseated the heaksink, swapped his old PSU back in, but the temps were still at 40. We're both confused as why this has happened. He can't register to hardforums cos he's got on of those generic email accounts. So i'm still in need of help guys!

Back