New R600 info as Jan 22th

WarMace

Gawd
From http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/22/asus_preannounces_mobility_radeon_x2300/

It seems to further confirm the leaks...
Asus confirms AMD ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 imminent
[Print][Mobile]
By Tony Smith [More by this author]
22nd January 2007 14:32 GMT

Asus has thoughtfully pre-announced AMD's next-generation mobile graphics chip, the ATI Mobility Radeon X2300, which the Taiwanese vendor today said it's planning to build into an upcoming Core 2 Duo-based notebook.

The laptop, the A8Jr, promises a "visual feast like no other", courtesy of its unannounced AMD GPU. Asus didn't provide any details, alas, but the X2300 is up to running Windows Vista's Aero user interface and uses HyperMemory to boost the graphics RAM available to the GPU.

The leak isn't without a quote from an AMD official, suggesting Asus simply uploaded the announcement a mite early. And to be fair, AMD's admitted it's working on just such a part, by mentioning the name in the most recent release notes attached to its Linux drivers.

Indeed, they reveal the presence of the X2300 HD, codenamed 'M71'. The vanilla X2300 appears to be codenamed 'M64'. Both have 'M' and 'S' variants, indicated by an appropriate suffix to the codename. AMD's M71M chip, incidentally, has been approved for PCI Express compatibility by the PCI SIG, so its release can't be far off.

The M71 is believed to be derived from the upcoming R600 chip, AMD's first DirectX 10 part and its first GPU to incorporated unified shaders. ®

Looks like the X2300 will be the name of low midrange/midrange cards and it is likely there will come a lowrange X2100 card (my own speculation)

So at least there is one working card of the new generation, nice find.:)

Meh, not the info I was hoping for, but I'm sure someone will like to know that so nice find. :p

the R600 isnt their first unified chip

Are you talking about cut down versions of R600? I keep getting this nagging feeling that R580+ is D3D10 capable, but i don't understand how it could be. So with that, i'm assuming i'm wrong! arrg

It will be interesting to see how the low/mid range shapes out. I'll be getting a $100 range dx10 card for my secondary computer. It's running an ATi 200 express integrated right now. But it will be the vista guinea pig, so it needs a gpu boost.

Are you talking about cut down versions of R600? I keep getting this nagging feeling that R580+ is D3D10 capable, but i don't understand how it could be. So with that, i'm assuming i'm wrong! arrg

IRCC the xbox360 gpu is a unified chip that ati currently makes

They didn't say ATi's first unified shader chip, they said it was AMD's first unified shader GPU, because the XBOX360's GPU was developed under the ownership of ATi.

XENOS in the 360, the R580 has aspects of some D3D10 specifics, but it doesn't support it any way (other then decoupled shaders).

They didn't say ATi's first unified shader chip, they said it was AMD's first unified shader GPU, because the XBOX360's GPU was developed under the ownership of ATi.

and they are wrong there too, seeing as ATI has had the chip design before the AMD aquisition

Back