New RAM problems, no boot up, etc.

Qonfused

Weaksauce
I'm selling my current PC to my cousin but before he wanted it, he wanted some upgrades like more RAM (to a GB), bigger harddrive, etc. Well, all the parts came in yesterday and I cannot get the RAM to work. Without the new RAM, my system boots up fine with 2x 256MB. But when I put in the new RAM (1x 512MB), my system either randomly restarts after the Windows loading screen, or reaches the user account pick screen and tells me I have a Windows registery error then it restarts.

I have the MB manual sitting right here. It says that it supports up to a 1GB stick and I know it accepts PC2700. It says...

You can install either single- or double-sided modules in any order to meet your own needs.

Again, without the new RAM, my system boots up perfectly.

Motherboard.
Old RAM (works fine)
New RAM

How would I do that? In the BIOS? If so, I couldn't find it in there. There's CAS Latency, etc., but no Voltage.

i meant to say 2.7v, oops. there should be an option somewhere, keep looking ;)

In my BIOS, there's a section called Voltage and something else. I go into there and I can play with the CPU's stuff. The only places about the memory are the timings and CAS Latency. That's it.

:\

I just tryed the RAM on my mom's system and it works fine (AMD 1.6, 5200, 512MB).

the ram voltage option is probably mixed with the cpu voltages. i suspect it's a random issue between your board and the ram, not liking the default SPD settings

I must have done something wrong. You're right about the RAM in the CPU section although there is no Voltage section. There is a frequency section and I was toggling with that. I got the RAM to run at 266MHz but now my PC won't even start up -- all I get is a long beep from my MB. Sigh.

Well, I reset the BIOS and it's working fine now. The RAM, on the other hand, still isn't.

:(

Got the email back from them:
We no longer support Chaintech boards with our memory. We can still replace the part if you'd like, but I cannot guarantee it will work in this system.
:\

Even though the RAM in my system now works? ...

Back