New Raptor 150

alkoholik

[H]ard|Gawd
is the new raptor any quieter then the 74gb version? i have the 74gb now and its fairly quiet but I can hear it seeking/accessing info and its really starting to annoy me....is this new one better?

The noise profile on the drives are about the same. ~5.0ms seeks are going to have a pretty deep rumble to them, regardless of the generation of the drive.

DougLite said:
The noise profile on the drives are about the same. ~5.0ms seeks are going to have a pretty deep rumble to them, regardless of the generation of the drive.

hmm i really cant stand that rumble...ive read in a couple posts of people sound proofing their cases....what do u recommend? I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case and the drive is screwed into the cage with these rubber fasteners...not sure what else can be done.

alkoholik said:
hmm i really cant stand that rumble...ive read in a couple posts of people sound proofing their cases....what do u recommend? I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case and the drive is screwed into the cage with these rubber fasteners...not sure what else can be done.
About the only thing you can do over and above that is foam suspension and water cooling for the drives.

The Antec P150 has rubber suspenders for that reason

I think people are going to far with noise dampening now.

Ockie said:
The Antec P150 has rubber suspenders for that reason

I think people are going to far with noise dampening now.

i dont realy thnik so, i have the P-180 case with the 74gig version and it is WAY quieter than my damn Maxtor drive in my HTPC, that is one of the main reasons why i am repacing it with a hitachi drive. But in all honesty i prefer the sound of the raptor over normal hard drives, for me i dont mind the low sound noise emitted, what really drives me crazy is the really high pitch sounds of say a stock CPU cooler, shitty hard drives, etc.... And some power supply units.

the only thing i hear now from my case is the 120mm fan (which is pretty quiet) and the rumble of the raptor....D_Lite do u have a link for that foam u mentioned?

any acoustic studio sound-proof foam will be fine to use cut-down. It aint that expensive either.

Back