New Raptor coming on Monday 4/21/08?

It doesn't appear so.

I wish it was true though. It's unfortunate that the only 10k rpm "prosumer" drive tends to lag behind the rest of the market in terms of platter and firmware innovations.

It doesn't appear so.

I wish it was true though. It's unfortunate that the only 10k rpm "prosumer" drive tends to lag behind the rest of the market in terms of platter and firmware innovations.

You think the picture was faked...?

last I heard raptor updates were coming Q4, a 300GB variant 32MB SATA 300 etc...

The newegg picture? No. Like was explained in the XS thread, the 80GB and 160GB Raptors are just OEM variants of the retail Raptors we're used to.

No, re-read my original post :D We all have been aware of the 80gb and 160gb Raptors forever now... click the link for the XS thread and scroll down to post #14... it shows the photo that says 4/21/08 and has the Western Digital logo with that 'scary' eye in the background... people are saying that's the new Raptor.....

It is due out this month, so the picture does carry some weight.

This is the same drive I ordered in a bunch of DELL workstations at work. 80GB Raptors made for OEMs. Nothin here folks - move on.

There is something coming but I have not seen a correct guess or a good leak yet.

This is the same drive I ordered in a bunch of DELL workstations at work. 80GB Raptors made for OEMs. Nothin here folks - move on.

Is anyone even reading my thread...? It has nothing to do with the OEM 80GB parts or Dell... It is regarding the NEW Raptor in the photo from the German site that says coming 4/21/08... This has NOTHING to do with any Newegg links.......

A real reliable source for a new model of Raptor drives would be all over the web.

While I am sure that WD has something in the works, I have yet to see any reliable source with any info about new Raptors.

At best they may be making an announcement about when they may be releasing a new model, but I doubt it will be on the street on the 21st. Prolly in the next quarter or two they will get something out the door.

Don

No, re-read my original post :D We all have been aware of the 80gb and 160gb Raptors forever now... click the link for the XS thread and scroll down to post #14... it shows the photo that says 4/21/08 and has the Western Digital logo with that 'scary' eye in the background... people are saying that's the new Raptor.....
ooooohhhhh
The pic didn't load for me the first 2 times I read that thread today.

Now I see. Would be interesting for sure.

Die schnellste und teuflischste Bestie aller Zeiten wird nächste Woche in Deutschland losgelassen“

THis means: The fastest and most evil beast of all time will be released in Germany next week.

Evil Beast?

Maybe WD has learned a bit from the Apple play book.

Leak just a hint, and let all us geeks out here run with wild speculation. ;)

I still think that anything new will still be 10K. 15K is only used with SCSI drives because where they live, in server rooms, noise is not an issue. Besides, WD has little experience with 15K drives, do YOU want to be their Guinea Pig?

Don

I would take the risk. All my dataz are backed up, and a 5 year warranty replaces the hardware if needed.
Interestingly, I was just about to buy another Raptor 150.
Guess I'll wait.

They have to do something.. The competition has caught up with high density 7.2k Drives and mega capacity at 1/10th the megabyte-per-dollar.

They have to do something.. The competition has caught up with high density 7.2k Drives and mega capacity at 1/10th the megabyte-per-dollar.

Not to mention they have met the warranty that the raptors enjoyed (5 years) and met enterprise computing goals (raptor was known well for a workstation/light server drive)

aufnahme1eq9.jpg

maybe OP should have just posted the image and then link to said thread to avoid confusion.

also, i will be waiting for 74gb raptors to make their way to FST to pick a few more up on the cheap. who cares about warranty, i like to live on the wild side!

Can a Raptor be installed into an external enclosure? I have a 150GB Raptor. Can this be installed into an Antec MX-1 enclosure? All I really want to do is find out how many hours it has on it and wipe the drive so I can sell it.

OK to use the MX-1 or should I install it into my PC to do this?

I suppose it's possible, it'd be cool for an updated version but honestly IMO who wants a new Raptor when you can get this:

Hitachi Ultrastar 15K450
  • 450GB (4 platters)
  • 15,000RPM
  • 16MB Cache
  • 3.6ms seek / 2.0ms latency
  • 3GB SAS Connection

With SAS controllers becoming much cheaper these days it's not really that big of a deal to move over.

Just find WD's web site, go to the support section, and then find the download section, and download the datalifegueard tools for CD. While you are there, you can check to see if the drive is still under warranty.

Burn the cd, and boot with just the drive to test connected to the computer. Run the long or complete test. If it has any errors, RMA the drive.

If it passes, you can use that to help sell the drive. Put this info in the description. Offer to include a copy of the test results if you decide to sell it.

Don

I suppose it's possible, it'd be cool for an updated version but honestly IMO who wants a new Raptor when you can get this:

Hitachi Ultrastar 15K450
  • 450GB (4 platters)
  • 15,000RPM
  • 16MB Cache
  • 3.6ms seek / 2.0ms latency
  • 3GB SAS Connection

With SAS controllers becoming much cheaper these days it's not really that big of a deal to move over.

Different class of drive not to mention the $1000+++ price tag on that.

Just find WD's web site, go to the support section and download the datalifegueard tools for CD. Burn the cd, and boot with just the drive to test connected to the computer. Run the long or complete test. If it has any errors, RMA the drive.

If it passes, you can use that to help sell the drive. Put this info in the description. Offer to include a copy of the test results if you decide to sell it.

Thanks for the advice. Let me make sure I got the steps down in the correct order:

1.) Burn a CD of Datalifeguard tools
2.) Turn off the PC and disconnect the two HDD I have in the system now.
3.) Temporarily connect the Raptor.
4.) Re-Boot PC with the CD in the CD drive and only the Raptor connected.
5.) Run the tests.

Will this test also tell me how many hours the drive has been used? And what about wiping the drive for the purpose of resale, how would you recommend I handle that?

Yep, that's the steps I follow when testing a drive. In theory, you should be able to run it with the other drives connected, but I have gotten some strange results at times. Doing it this way gives me the best results.

The Smart data may show haw many hours that the drive has on it. I am not positive though. You can view the raw smart data with speedfan.

There are many secure delete programs out there. In theory, you need to write over something 7 !!! times to be absolutely sure it cannot be recovered by the super spooks. But for 99.9 percent of us normal people, writing all 1s or 0s to the drive will prevent anyone from getting your data. I think Seatools has that option. If not, a little digging on the web should find you a utility to do that.

A normal delete or even a repartition and format do not erase the actual data on the drive, only the directory info pointing to the data. There are utilities that can then go back and find the actual data and bring it back. The spooks have utilities that can even rebuild the original data after it has been overwritten. That is why the "Secure Deletion" utils overwrite something 7 times.

Don

Performance looks good (quickly glancing at the pcper article) but $300
Ouch.

The Storagereview article got me fired up.
I would buy one right now if I could.

Back