New rig, need some recommendations...

Dr. X

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm doing a little refresh of the rig in my sig. These are the parts I'm looking to use:

abit IP35 Pro
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
EVGA 8800GTX

These parts look ok? I'll be reusing the other parts in my sig.

Also, I'm not sure what ram to go with. Should I go 2gb or 4gb? DDR2 1066? I'd like to get the q6600 to 3ghz so I'd like ram to get me there. Think that's a realistic goal?

Oh, and I'll also need a new cooler for the cpu.

Thanks for the help.

gskill 4g (2x2g) ddr2800 - $85 bucks w/code
120 extreme w/scyte sflexF 120mm fan

gskill 4g (2x2g) ddr2800 - $85 bucks w/code
120 extreme w/scyte sflexF 120mm fan

That code from the other thread won't work for me for some reason. :confused:

edit: It says: "This promo code you entered is only available for specific programs."

Here's the code again.
EMC1213SYME01

Are you sure you are a newsletter suscriber, because that might help.
If not, then just check the box to become a suscriber when you log in.

Ok, did that, it's still not working. In the welcome email for the newsletter it says allow 24 hours for the servers to update. I wonder if that will affect this also. I'll wait and try it later. Thanks.

DDR2-800 will get a Q6600 to 3.6Ghz, assuming you can cool it well enough. So, yes.

Price to performance unless you're running 1920x1080 or higher the new 512MB 8800GTS (G92 core) is a better bet than a GTX. Unless, of course, you're buying the GTX used.

Ok, did that, it's still not working. In the welcome email for the newsletter it says allow 24 hours for the servers to update. I wonder if that will affect this also. I'll wait and try it later. Thanks.

Yes, you'll have to wait for the servers to update before you can use it.

DDR2-800 will get a Q6600 to 3.6Ghz, assuming you can cool it well enough. So, yes.

Price to performance unless you're running 1920x1080 or higher the new 512MB 8800GTS (G92 core) is a better bet than a GTX. Unless, of course, you're buying the GTX used.

Thanks for the heads up on the vidcard. Currently I'm limited to 1280x1024 due to my display so that's what everything will be running at. Looking at the anandtech article the 8800gts 512 looks like the way to go.

Still no go on the newegg promo code. :(

It hasn't been 24 hours has it?

Are you planning to get a bigger monitor sometime soon? Because that GTS 512MB might be overkill for that resolution with most games. Except for Crysis.

I agree, if you're not getting a new monitor soon, go for the 8800GT 256MB or HD2850/3870 instead.

Ok, did a little more research and I'm thinking of going for the 512mb 8800GT and maybe use the EVGA step-up when I get a new monitor.

Promo code worked and ram is ordered. Thanks guys. :D

Damn, does anywhere have the EVGA 8800gt 512mb in stock?

To tell you the truth most likely not, but there may be a few places.
Just sop around, and if you do find a place post the link here. :p

Just grabbed the evga 512mb 8800gt from newegg. They just got them back in stock so nab one if you want one. ;)

Back