New rig suggestions....

cLaWz

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new PC at the end of the month. Have to build it then, can't wait till later for various reasons, one of which I need a better PC for my classes next semester. Need to build as cheap as possible, but at the same time get myself a PC that will last awhile.

Right now I'm running:

AMD Barton 2500+ (oced to 3200+)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1GB Kingston HyperX Ram
ATi Radeon 9800 (Non Pro)
80GB Seagate Barricuda 7200
350w Antec Smartpower PSU

As you can see, I'm pretty outdated hardware wise. The newest games coming out now are hardly playable (GRAW, Oblivion) even with most settings turned down/off.

I'm looking at building something along these lines:

Opteron 144/146 OR Opteron 170 OR AMD X2 3800+ (Im going to be doing some heavy 3ds MAX work as well as gaming. )
2GB of Ram (unsure from who yet)
Geforce 7900 GT (Can go ATI if it would be a better solution, just seems like Nvidia is ahead atm)
Asus A8N-SLI (Is Crossfire holding up well against the nForce line? If an ATI card is suggested, is it worth going to a Crossfire board?)
200GB WD 3.0GB/s SATA HD
and of course a power supply big enough to run everything and give headroom so I can add another 7900 GT down the road if I wish.

Critique, suggestions?

not to change topic, but the computer your running... isn't it great? I have the 9800 pro and 420w Thermaltake and an additional seagate 7200rpm 120gig and i have had this computer for awhile and has always treated me nicely. Great computer - can play bf2 and hl2 on 1600X1200 on medium settings.

If you could, bump up to the X2 4200+ chip (I wouldn't go any further, as pricing dictates some major jumps that don't seem reasonable IMO), and go for a 7900GTX 512MB vid. card. Also, see if you can plop in a Raptor 74GB to use for programs, that will help with running things a bit faster.

Just my 2 cents.

hacktor2, if my PC was so awesome, why would I be wanting to upgrade and stating that it can't handle the newest games that are coming out? I can't even run BF2 at a decent FPS over Medium settings at 1024 x 768. Newer games like Ghost Recon, Oblivion, etc absolutely kill my FPS and its not enjoyable to play, which is why I'm looking to upgrade.

I would probably get the Opteron (dual core) or X2. The 144/146 are good now and can be overclocked, but it's still going to be single core, and if you want this upgrade to last you longer than your last one, then you better get dual core now. (Either that or you can just get cheap stuff now and get another upgrade sooner)

2GB RAM from Mushkin, G. Skill, OCZ or Corsair is good if you want to overclock..and if you don't..just get some value stuff. this kit was popular for a while..but prices have gone up a little bit. CHeck the [H]ot Deals section..I think there were some good deals on the OCZ Gold 2GB kit.

As far as the motherboard is concerned...are you getting the A8N32? If not then I would just get the SLi Premium over the regular A8N SLi Deluxe.

Also this WD Hard drive has 50GB more space and a 16mb cache

For the PSU..this Fortron Epsilon , Enermax Liberty or OCZ Powerstream 520W is good. If you want a cheaper PSU that is still good..this Antec Truepower 550W SLi should do. PC Power & Cooling and Seasonic make some quality products too.

Back