New router time. What works best for my needs?

entropism

2[H]4U
I recently switched from Fios to Comcast (Both Gigabit), and Comcast's default modem/router fucking blows. I had replaced it with a Netgear nighthawk 6700v2, but due to the fact that Netgear's default firmware makes IPv6 a fairly awful experience, I'm returning it and moving on.

I have no issue going with another Netgear, but I'll have to flash one of the open WRT firmwares. I have no problem with this, so I'm willing to put in the effort.

I'm mostly concerned with the 4K fireTV and smart TV being downstairs (front of house) while the router will be upstairs (back of house), I'll be streaming 4K netflix and uh... downloaded files, through the desktop with Plex. I'm planning on eventually adding an external drive to the router as a network media drive, so a USB 3.0 port would be helpful.

This is a 2 floor apartment with basement & backyard. Full coverage would be ideal

Budget: As low as humanly possible. Under $125 preferred, maybe $150 tops. Willing to buy refurb or Amazon open box to save money. Because of this, I'd really prefer something that will last me for 4-5 years or until obsolete, whatever comes first.

I've been looking at the TP-Link Archer C9, D-Link DIR-882, Netgear 6300, 6400 & 7000 (refurb), Trendnet TEW-824DRU or TEW-828DRU, or the Asus AC66/68U.

My devices:

1 wired desktop (mine)
1 wireless desktop (that I may convert to wired)
1 laptop
4 tablets
3 phones
1 4K FireTV
1 Roku
1 home theater receiver (upcoming)
1 4K smart TV (upcoming)
2-3 Echo Dots controlling a bunch of home automation shit

Thanks in advance for the help, guys!

Have a Asus Rt-AC66u, run the Merlin mod firmware. I would recommend it. WX on it's way in soon so if you can wait for that...

What about a pfsense and unifi AP? You got an old computer laying around and a switch? I really hate singly located wifi now. Multiple APs provide better coverage ovrrall

No old computers laying around, sadly. Plus, I have to be honest, I'd rather it be as simple as possible. I'll flash some firmware, but more than that... Eh. I have to agree it's A: overkill and B: overbudget

Last edited:
So I ended up picking up an R7000 off Amazon for $150. I'll flash a WRT firmware on it and call it a day.

Currently I have 4 routers and comparing them. The one that wins I keep.

The R7000 came in today, and it was an "amazon warehouse" open box item. EVERY other order I make from them comes through perfectly. This time? The fucking router was snapped in half.

So I spent $130 and got the Asus RT-AC68U instead. Brand new this time.

Could have gotten one of those T-Mobile Cell Spots and reflagged the firmware. I believe they were AC-68u underneath. They usually sell for around $50

Yep, I had one from T-Mobile, which is why I went with the 68u again. The issue is that the T-Mobile line is discontinued and there's no warranty. Plus, the newest firmware makes it near impossible to flash to Asus/WRT.

Back