new Samsung 2253BW! check it out!

Mine has a stuck/dead pixel as well, however it is in the center bottom of my screen, really not that noticeable.

I've been using mine for awhile and am pretty satisfied however wish I would of spent some more money on a better panel, however it's too late now.

The only problems I really have with mine is when using photoshop I an really see the shades of gray having a slight blue dominance, I've tried calibrating it as best as possible and nothing has gotten it to go away completely.

What bothers me is not a single profile offered up for one of these things, I've looked everywhere and not a single one. How can this be, no one has a profile they can share?

i believe its personal preference..you can take off the blue dominance through the color correction function in your graphics card settings..well since i have invidia all i had to do was decrease the contrast and gamma of the 'blue' setting. and the blue dominance was gone. i still recalibrate my settings every 2 week because my monitor is new and i guess its still breaking in.

Quick review:

I picked up a 2253bw 2 days ago and I'm really happy with it. A microfiber cloth and all the necessary cables (DVI & VGA) are included which is nice. The stand is a little tricky to install as there is no click sound or different feel when it's all the way in. You just keep carefully pushing it up the back of the monitor until it doesn't move anymore and the whole time you're doing this the monitor is flexing and creaking - not the most confidence inspiring design that's for sure. The base is a piece of cake to attach to the stand and feels solid-ish.

Once hooked up the buttons on the monitor are a PITA to use. They don't quite line up with the text so it's basically trial and error trying to hit the correct buttons. Not really a big deal IMO because you normally only adjust the monitor once or twice so the other 99% of the time the design looks good. Another issue is the blue led in the bevel. It sure looks good but whatever w*nker @ Samsung decided to make it flash when the monitor is in standby mode should be shot. After about 2 mins of lying in bed watching my room being faintly illuminated by this pulsing little LED (which is surprisingly bright) I got up and switched it off.

When you first turn the monitor on it looks like ass which is to be expected. A little fiddling with the brightness/contrast (found best results at about 75/60) and then go into nVidia control panel and run the display optimization wizard. The most important setting in here is the RGB gamma - once set the monitor looks awesome. I set a quick screensaver up using 1680x1050 images and it looks like art with the monitor being the frame. I didn't bother with the included driver CD but I've read good things about it.

I played a few games and there doesn't appear to be any ghosting. I think what little lag there was was due to my dated PC specs more than anything. The 1:1 feature is great to - just make sure you turn off nVidia resolution scaling before you set the gamma levels as my computer reset the settings when I was experimenting with scaling.

I haven't tried the dynamic contrast ratio as I'm very happy with what I have now - it seems like a gimmick from what I've read anyway. I haven't noticed any dead/bright pixels and the blacklight bleed is so minimal that it seems many people in this thread either got bad panels or are just very picky. I only notice it when the screen is completely black and even then its no biggie. I tried setting the brightness really low and I can't hear any high pitched noises coming from the screen either. Viewing angles aren't great - dead straight to the screen to about 45 degrees up is fine but any lower and the screen gets dark quickly. Side to side it seems pretty good - about 45 degrees from center either way and it starts to discolor.

All in all VERY happy - coming from a 21" Philips CRT (which could only do 1024x768 as it was too blurry at higher res :D ) it feels like a huge upgrade. A little disappointed that they chose form over function with the buttons on the monitor and the LED. Also a height adjustable stand would be nice but few manufacturers seem to bother. Biggest complaint would maybe be the viewing angles and the need to upgrade my PC so I can play at the native res :D. Or maybe this is the perfect time to purchase an Xbox 360...

Glen

I hear good things about this monitor.
Did anyone tried it out with a PS3? How does it scale the image at different resolutions?(pixel mapping) Does it put black bars on top and bottom?

Pictures would be nice.

**EDIT**
What I really want to know if it does true 1:1 pixel mapping with a 16:9 source.

Is anyone else having coloring problems with this screen? By coloring problems, I mean it seems to be dynamically recoloring certain sections of the monitor. For example, on the HardOCP main web site, there is a slight blue tint to some of the text, such as the heading for the date and many parts of the text on screen as illustrated here:

ummwtfxy0.png

The purpose of the screen isn't to show you the effects (I know its specific to this monitor. I'm trying to nail whether its an issue that is across all monitors of this model or if its just a defect in my monitor), but rather to direct other people with this monitor to the area of interest.

*EDIT*
It appears to be a problem with dark colors surrounding bright colors. When I play around in MS Paint, I took a blank white area and filled it in black and started moving my mouse over it. Over certain areas, the color of my mouse would change from white to a very light sky blue sort of color. The same result can be achieved with various other dark backgrounds. Anyone else have this problem? The area in which this color change occurs is VERY consistent. It's like a vertical band 2 or 3 inches wide slightly off center of my screen.

On a side note, it appears that this monitor does NOT have 1:1 pixel mapping. Unless I'm missing something... but when I play games at 800x600, it maintains aspect ratio but does not maintain 1:1 pixel mapping. Same goes for all other resolutions which do not match the 16:10 aspect ratio.

Bump?
Could anyone answer the question in the previous post?

I'd really like to pick this monitor up...

I tested my monitor with MS paint and other things. And I must say, I am not getting the coloring problems you are having. My monitor settings are 95% brightness, and 85-90contrast. And I did change my graphics card settings to somewhat not 'normal' settings such as decreasing contrast, increasing gamma and fixing the color correction of all the color channels (blue, red, green). I am not having any issues with this monitor. I have recommended this monitor to 5 of my friends, and all 5 of them are loving it. Though I had to set up everything for them. I believe its all in your settings, you have to play around with your graphics card settings a bit to achieve the best results.

wow hardest website to register ever

anyway if you have problem switching to vga or dvi, press the "source" button on the monitor lol

I purchased mine from newegg as well. I have a single dead pixel, sucks that I can't RMA it because its only 1. :eek:

I just received my 2253LW direct from Samsung in an exchange for a subpar 2253BW. During the exchange process I had talked to a woman at Samsung support, and she seemed to imply that the LW's had replaced the BW's, but I don't think she really knew- the only solid piece of information I obtained was that there were no more BW's at their warehouse.

Comparing the BW and LW, the differences are very slight. Obviously the LW is 0.4" smaller than the BW, which at first I wasn't too happy about but I convinced myself that it was better to have a higher pixel density. A few improvements I immediately noticed were the decrease in backlight bleed, especially at the bottom on the screen, and the ability to turn the brightness down to 70 without hearing any humming (I had only been able to get to 80 with the BW). I suspect these differences aren't consistent.

Anyway, both BW and LW are damn good monitors in my opinion, despite the quality control issues I had run into.

Also, Samsung warranty exchange >> Newegg RMA.

I'm aware of some of the NVIDIA problems but i actually checked the inf file, release notes etc and saw 1680x1050 listed.. Anyway, I got annoyed with Samsung support who kept persisting about trying to make sure it's not my video card by trying to get another monitor so i went and updated the EDID myself using the EDID writer that can be downloaded on this page. Everything is working fine now :)

mate can you tell me how you wrote the new EDID? I tried in dos and I get a write error. In powerstrip I can't find a writable eprom.

Did you enter into the service mode on the monitor? I couldn't get that to work either.

What did you do?

Just got my replacement back today and I can say for sure now that my previous one was defective. This one, as far as I can tell right now, is perfect. I've only had it up and running for a few minutes, but no dead pixels and the problem from my previous monitor is nowhere to be found.

When I was watching a movie and minimized to my desktop THIS happened(white dots on the black of my wallpaper) when I rebooted and turned on the video again it happened again, however when I turned off the video it went away and never came back. Very bizzare, also I checked other wallpapers at the time and they also exhibited the issue while the video was going, again returned to normal when the video was turned off. It hasn't happened anymore thankfully.

This is the BLB on it, in a dark room at viewing level,with screentest.exe which simply displays a black screen. I have the chance to RMA this one should I do it? I do risk getting a worse one in the process, or having the asses at NCIX reject my RMA making me pay money in the process. You guys be the judge if it would pass RMA for BLB.

So I've sent the unit back, I'm waiting for a new one to arrive which it won't for a few weeks. Hopefully it'll be better than the last one.

Is the buzzing noise common on this lcd, when droping the brightness below 60-70?

i followed the instructions to see what panel my 2253 bw has (cmo). while the panel that gives the info was opened i accidenyly changed some of the settings before closeing it, can anyone tell me what way these should be set so i can put them back. thanks

When I was watching a movie and minimized to my desktop THIS happened(white dots on the black of my wallpaper) when I rebooted and turned on the video again it happened again, however when I turned off the video it went away and never came back. Very bizzare, also I checked other wallpapers at the time and they also exhibited the issue while the video was going, again returned to normal when the video was turned off. It hasn't happened anymore thankfully.

This is the BLB on it, in a dark room at viewing level,with screentest.exe which simply displays a black screen. I have the chance to RMA this one should I do it? I do risk getting a worse one in the process, or having the asses at NCIX reject my RMA making me pay money in the process. You guys be the judge if it would pass RMA for BLB.

Dude that BLB is horrible!

Mine died after 8 months of owning it.

Over the course of a few days I could start to slowly tell that the top half of the monitor was becoming dimmer than the bottom half, and when then one day it was really noticeable. Just faded.

Then the top left corner would go out. Kind of an inky pattern and it would get extremely hot to the touch after being on for a few hours. Luckily I bought mine from Costco and they let me return it for cash.

Just bought a Dell 2209WA.

If anyone could please tell me optimal settings for gaming/movies it would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone could please tell me optimal settings for gaming/movies it would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I'm reviving an old thread but I've mine setup at warm colors. The normal settings are WAY too blue for my taste.

Back