new! Sapphire 68X0 on sell,price information

nest2001

n00b
8_101015015459_1.jpg

8_101015015459_2.jpg

as Austin Power's father would have said: Those sneaky Dutch! xD

Hm, the gtx 460 goes as low as 160/200€ for the 768mb/1gb versions here, I wonder if the new AMD cards will be worth it at that price point (or go down to a similar price point shortly after launch)

Of course, known etailer will have them cheaper. As usual.

They need to shave a little of those prices ASAP! I thought they wanted to beat out 460 for real?! But good to see them listed.

I really don't understand why everyone is complaining about prices of a card showing up on a foreign website a few days before the official launch....Why does that make any sense to complain about? It's not even a known website, clearly they are going to have some people who are going to pay extra to reserve one...

They need to shave a little of those prices ASAP! I thought they wanted to beat out 460 for real?! But good to see them listed.

I'm not sure I understand....The cheapest I can find the 460 1gb on newegg is $220 with a $20 MIR. According to Techpowerup, the 6850 is expected to retail for $175 and beats the 1gb 460 in 3dmarks.

Why do they need to shave the price?

price is too high

That page is kind of old news now, but I don't see how you think the price is too high.

On the same site a GTX 460 768MB is the same price as the 6850. The 6850 is rumored to take on the GTX 460 1GB in performance, so they seem perfectly priced.

If AMD has GTX 460 1GB performance for GTX 460 768MB price, I would say they nailed it.

I'm not sure I understand....The cheapest I can find the 460 1gb on newegg is $220 with a $20 MIR. According to Techpowerup, the 6850 is expected to retail for $175 and beats the 1gb 460 in 3dmarks.

Why do they need to shave the price?

The attached screens show prices in EUR. From Holland. So here in Denmark, a similar price environment and my perspective, the cheapest 1 GB 460 is 210 EUR.

The 1 GB 6870 is 255 EUR, for being marginally faster. I know there are other pros but also other cons, tessellation is supposedly not going to be as good as with the 460. All I am saying is that, if AMD wants to beat out the 460 here, in Europe, and we are still discussing a European screenshot in this thread, they need to shave some off the price.

Especially considering this is the mid segment, where budget minded people spend their hard earned cash and every 20 EUR means something.

^^

uh, i thought i read that the 6850 beats BOTH 460 variants. If that is the case, yeah, the 6870 doesn't seem like a good deal, but why would u say the 6850 is not worth it when it is CHEAPER then the 460 then?

The 1 GB 6870 is 255 EUR, for being marginally faster. I know there are other pros but also other cons, tessellation is supposedly not going to be as good as with the 460. All I am saying is that, if AMD wants to beat out the 460 here, in Europe, and we are still discussing a European screenshot in this thread, they need to shave some off the price.

Wait, I thought you were referencing to AMD beating the 460 1gb in the price/performance war? With the 6850, they do. It's 20-30 euros cheaper than 460 1gb, and beats it in current benchmarks (whatever that's worth). So, how did the 6870 come into the equation?

Regardless here are the 3dmark scores for the 6870 and 4601gb:

AMD Radeon HD 6870: P16270/19480

GeForce GTX 460 (256-bit & 1 Gt): P13623/18601

For only 30-50 more, the 6870 isn't a bad proposition.

Edit:

uh, i thought i read that the 6850 beats BOTH 460 variants. If that is the case, yeah, the 6870 doesn't seem like a good deal, but why would u say the 6850 is not worth it when it is CHEAPER then the 460 then?

You beat me to it.

Last edited:
^^

If the the 6870 is only 50 bucks more for the same price as the 1gig 460, then that is nice deal man. Although that would put the 6850 in a bad position.

^^

Its a better deal for sure, the 6850. My primary grudge was with the 6870 price, sorry for not clarifying that. Should be interesting to see some real in game performance numbers and get a real idea about the tessellation power of 68xx. Before that its hard to get nit picky I guess.

Just as I thought, it looks like AMD is going to be ethical about the pricing. Many, myself included were a little worried about them charging over $300.00 for the 6870 and take advantage of consumers thinking it was the successor to the 5870.

This is good news. This hopefully puts my guess that 6970 would be $399-$429 closer to the truth. I expect Antilles @ $499.99-$529.99.

Here's hoping, with rumors of nvidias new refresh looming it's going to be a very good holliday season.

http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20519-nvidia-working-on-gf100-successor

Here's hoping, with rumors of nvidias new refresh looming it's going to be a very good holliday season.

I don't believe that one card will change much, especially since it will likely be targeted towards upper-scale enthusiasts. Furthermore, Nvidia can only speculate as to what the performance will be for the top tier AMD cards. It seems Nvidia will have to wage the price war, which is good for everyone.

Last edited:
YEAAA 200 for a 6850. The last time i was this excited the 4850 came out and i bought it for 150 at bestbuy on release week.

I don't believe that one card will change much, especially since it will likely be targeted towards upper-scale enthusiasts. Furthermore, Nvidia can only speculate as to what the performance will be for the top tier AMD cards.

Agreed, for people looking into a mid range $200-$250 ish card. (Most of the market) this card wouldn't mean much. It looks like it could be a monster though. 512bit memory bus 2gb high end ram, and double the ROPs

I guess they improved the 40nm process because the TDP is expected to be around GTX 480 levels and with all those improvements on the same manufacturing process I guess I expected it to pull alot more. But things aren't always black and white in hardware tech.

I remember people freaking out because the Samsung Galaxy Tab was listed on a German website that equated to $1,000. However when it finally launched in the US it was only $600 here.

Sometimes stuff is just more expensive in other places. I'm not going to worry about the price until I see it on NewEgg or something.

Any guesses as to what this will do to the price of the 5850 and 5870? I'm hoping for a drop, obviously. If that's not going to happen, I might just shop around for a used one.

I can't wait to see if these rumors about the new AMD cards are true. I already jumped on my GTX 460 1GB back in July, but it will be nice to have alternatives for other friends I know who are building in the next 3 months.

I don't see it as a bad thing with AMD moving the midrange to the x800 number series - there's been a huge gap in AMD's lineup between bottom and top-end in the last two generations because of this. I'd like to see a more complete lineup from AMD, now that they have the increased market share from their last two successful runs.

Last edited:
Just as I thought, it looks like AMD is going to be ethical about the pricing. Many, myself included were a little worried about them charging over $300.00 for the 6870 and take advantage of consumers thinking it was the successor to the 5870.

This is good news. This hopefully puts my guess that 6970 would be $399-$429 closer to the truth. I expect Antilles @ $499.99-$529.99.

This. I'm psyched to pick up at 6870 now assuming US pricing falls in line with this. Finally a performance upgrade for my 4850CF without paying out the ass. This reminds me of when the 3870 was released, but the 6870 is at a better performance point.

24ytswo.png

15wsgz.png

2exx0cw.png

I don't think AMD is the one to worry about when it comes to ethical pricing.

Your missing the point. For one it was a concern due to the naming scheme change. Many, myself included thought that since they renamed the midrange product the 6850/6870 that they would take advantage of the unsuspecting consumer and charge 5870 MSRP for 6870. However I find it important to note that I spoke many times saying that I think they will do the right thing and I'm glad I was right.

Also the people who's track record you are touting (and it was a good one) when it comes to pricing are gone. AMD owns ATI and ATI is dead. No way to tell what the pricing would be, so it makes sense that these charts would give us a sigh of relief.

Hopefully they don't pull the same crap as last round. Release the card at one price and then jack it up after all the reviews are out.

Hopefully they don't pull the same crap as last round. Release the card at one price and then jack it up after all the reviews are out.
Better than releasing cards at $599 and $499. Even at $410, they were still cheaper than Nvidia's flagship releases by $90 and $190. Compared to "crap" than nvidia "pulled" for the last four years or so, it was like getting a $100-$200 discount the day they were released. Even the GTX 480 showed up at $500.

They sold every card they made. Thats capitalism. An no, this isnt a "sorry excuse" or a "yeah yeah whatever" thing, thats actually exactly how it works.

TSMC shortage + Nvidia suckitude + capitalism made it an easy decision

I see Nvidia high prices = evil.....AMD high prices = good business. :rolleyes:
There's a difference between being expensive and price gouging.

• The 6800 Ultra was $499
  • The 7800 GT was $599
  • The 8800 GTX was $599
  • The GTX 280 was $649
  • The GTX 480 was $499

Not only was the 5870 the fastest GPU on the market when it was released, but it was also the first time the fastest card on the market released at less than $499 since 2002. And even that sub-$500 card in 2002 was the Radeon 9700 Pro.

Historically, reasonable pricing only comes when AMD (ATI) has the fastest cards.

Last edited:
There's a difference between being expensive and price gouging.

• The 6800 Ultra was $499
  • The 7800 GT was $599
  • The 8800 GTX was $599
  • The GTX 280 was $499
  • The GTX 480 was $499

Not only was the 5870 the fastest GPU on the market when it was released, but it was also the first time the fastest card on the market released at less than $499 since 2002. And even that sub-$500 card in 2002 was the Radeon 9700 Pro.

Historically, reasonable pricing only comes when AMD (ATI) has the fastest cards.

The GTX280 was more like $649 at release. Then RV770 hit...

The 8800 was a huge upgrade over anything that came before it: well worth the price it sold at at release.

You mean the 8800GTX right? Because the X1950XTX was only 30% slower on average even matched sometimes the 8800GTS.

You mean the 8800GTX right? Because the X1950XTX was only 30% slower on average even matched sometimes the 8800GTS.

While the original GTS was faster than a 2900XT (and 1950). The 8800GTS 512 smoked them all. (not that the 1950 was a bad card, I still have a pro with a big ole copper heat sink). It's just the 8800 was a huge leap. There was also the GTX and the Ultra.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13772/1

It even beat the 3870 around like the ugly step child. In fact ATI never really was able to compete against the GTS until the 4870 was released. Of course by then the 9800GTX and 280 had already been out.

While the original GTS was faster than a 2900XT (and 1950). The 8800GTS 512 smoked them all. (not that the 1950 was a bad card, I still have a pro with a big ole copper heat sink). It's just the 8800 was a huge leap. There was also the GTX and the Ultra.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13772/1

It even beat the 3870 around like the ugly step child. In fact ATI never really was able to compete against the GTS until the 4870 was released. Of course by then the 9800GTX and 280 had already been out.

WTF are you talking about?

8800 GTX indeed is a huge leap, but that doesn't justify the price to be that high. I paid MSRP at launch. Even though I think its well worth it.. same thing goes to 5870, its twice as fast as 4870, and release with 370 MSRP.

So what you mean is nVidia can charge premium price but ATi can't? :rolleyes:
Who is evil right there?

Also, 4870 was mean to compete against GTX 260, and it did it..
3800 series was suppose to be their preparing phase for 4800 series..
Plus, 8800 GTS 512 came out very late, and its G90 chips... not G80..It's a preparing stage for GeForce 9 series..

You either need to stop trolling or just stop posting would be best for all...

No one is evil, it just nVidia charges premium price as much as it can to squeeze out customer's money, they only lower the price when competition from the opposite catches on. No one is evil.. Its marketing..

Back