New self built PC

bazylik

[H]ard|Gawd
I built a new PC for a friend of mine. It's a P4 Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz with 1GB of ram (better one) Ati X1600 one a ECS P965T-A motherboard, WD 250 gb drive, dvd rom and 450 PSU.

After installing everything along with a new XP OS everything seemed to be fine, rebooted several times. So I take over to her place hook it up everything is fine.
Next week she calls me saying she rebooted the PC and it won't book, sits there on the boot screen. You you got the press Del to do this or F12 to do that, keyboard doesn't respond and I really have no clue why.

I tried clearing BIOS and resetting pins but to no effect.

Can anyone help what can be the cause of that?

Hm could be. I had some problems with that drive too. First XP with SP 2 wouldn't see it as 250 gb, only detected it as 130 gb only, then I couldn't fragment because one of the cluster was bad, but in the end I managed to format the whole thing and make windows see it as 250 GB.

I will pop one of the good ones that I have and see if I can get this puppy to run.

Thanks

Try another kb? Can you get into BIOS setup? If so, see if its detecting everything correctly (cpu/ram/hdd/etc). Run memtest overnight. Run the WD data lifeguard tools diagnostics on the hdd.

BTW, a P4 is not a Core 2 Duo, lol.

enginurd said:
Try another kb? Can you get into BIOS setup? If so, see if its detecting everything correctly (cpu/ram/hdd/etc). Run memtest overnight. Run the WD data lifeguard tools diagnostics on the hdd.

BTW, a P4 is not a Core 2 Duo, lol.
lol I was in a hurry, I also typed fragment instead defragment... at work I am.

Anyway, the thing is I can't get to BIOS I even cleared CMOS thinking that would help somehow it just sits there at the boot screen. I really should've ran lifeguard since I suspected there was something wrong with that HDD.

Possibly PSU related. A while ago out of the blue my comp would stop booting occasionally, and if it did boot it would sometimes only show one of the hard drives. Turned out my PSU had messed up which was causing the problems. Try swapping it out?

Ok the weirdest thing happened. I went last night and took that PC from her place and brought it over to mine, plugged it in and it's booting like nothing happened.

I didn't do nothing to it and I have no idea why it works at my place but it won't at her's.

sounds like there is some dirty electricity at her place. This has happened to me as well. have her outlet checked, something between the braker box and her outlet is Fubar. maybe a BBU should be put in place, or a power conditioner.

Get a UPS with AVR. I use APC, but you can use whatever brand you like.
(Uninterruptable Power Supply, Automatic Voltage Regulation)

Back