New SFF build advice (I'm a little rusty)

Add 'em

Limp Gawd
I built my current computer almost 3 years ago (I know, it's been awhile). It's a Shuttle SN95G5v3. I've loved it; a great buy, but now I'm getting the itch to possibly put together something new. This will be my primary comp; I watch a lot of HD content (and I might use it to drive an HDTV at some point -- not necessarily as a full-time HTPC, though) and do some gaming as well. I've been a bit out-of-loop for these past few years so I'm not well-versed on current hardware. With that said, here's my initial stab at some hardware, any thoughts/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Shuttle SP35P2 -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101045
Intel Q6600 -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
eVGA Nvidia 8800GT 512MB -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318
2 x 2GB Corsair RAM -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
500GB Samsung HDD -- http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005376

I'm not looking for top-of-the-line, but something that'll be sufficient to last me another few years. So thoughts:

1. I didn't put much thought into brands for RAM / HDD. Any specific recommendations?
2. I'm pretty well set on getting a Shuttle because I liked my previous one so much and I think this one will serve my purpose. But anything else I should consider?
3. Newegg appears to have these Shuttles "recertified" at a pretty good discount over new ones. Good or bad idea to go with that? Anyone with experience?
4. Seems like the Q6600 is a good buy currently...yes?
5. Video card...yeah I'm quite lost on the new stuff, recommendations appreciated here.

Any other comments...go for it! Thanks!

1. I didn't put much thought into brands for RAM / HDD. Any specific recommendations?
2. I'm pretty well set on getting a Shuttle because I liked my previous one so much and I think this one will serve my purpose. But anything else I should consider?
3. Newegg appears to have these Shuttles "recertified" at a pretty good discount over new ones. Good or bad idea to go with that? Anyone with experience?
5. Video card...yeah I'm quite lost on the new stuff, recommendations appreciated here.

1. Nothing really. Corsair's reputable, and you probably won't need anything hitting DDR2-1000.
2. If you want a Shuttle, you get a Shuttle.
3. No idea.
4. Currently.
5. If you want to save money, you could get a 9600GT.

1. RAM: Corsair, Kingston, G Skill, OCZ, Patriot. HD: Seagate or Western Digital.
2. Shuttles have the tiny footprint which is awesome but they come at a price premium. Its not as small but check out the Silverstone SG02 (also comes in black). They take standard ATX PSUs and microATX mobos so you can customise a little more.
3. Also no idea.
4. That or the E8400 can be had around $200.
5. All solid gaming value cards in order from worst to best: 9600GT, 8800GT, 8800GTS (512MB ONLY).

Great, thanks for the input. Should I consider AMD at all? I guess I sort of automatically went the Intel processor route because my impression was that Intel is more dominant at the moment, but I could be completely off there.

Also, I'm hoping someone has some experience with these recertified Shuttles from Newegg (or elsewhere), so if you do, feel free to chime in...

I built my current computer almost 3 years ago (I know, it's been awhile). It's a Shuttle SN9

1. A reputable brand for the RAM. I have been fond of the Hitachi 1TB's HD:)
2. As stated previously, if you want a Shuttle...
3. This one I can answer. I have purchased two open box Shuttles. The first one was complete in and excellent working order (about two years ago). The second one, which is my current build was missing the driver disk and a HDMI/DVI converter. Otherwise, in excellent working order and a huge savings. It is up to you.
4. I went with the q6600.
5. 8800GT, the 8800GTS seems to be available only in a dual slot scheme, and you will require a single slot card. If you do not intend on gaming, the onboard MIGHT be sufficient. Consider adding some ventilation holes where the card's HSF resides. It might assist in keeping down temps,

You might look into a 300Watt Shuttle power supply and perhaps an upgraded fan for the HSF. No requirements, just suggestions.

Great, thanks for the input. Should I consider AMD at all? I guess I sort of automatically went the Intel processor route because my impression was that Intel is more dominant at the moment, but I could be completely off there.

Yes Intel is the dominant CPU at the mid to high end level of CPUs. AMD is holding strong around the low-end area. So Intel is a good choice for you. Don't bother with AMD unless:
A) You're planning on building an HD capable HTPC (AMD 780G chipset is far superior for HD content than any of Intel's current offerings)
B) You're want an low-budget PC with no plans for overclocking
C) You like supporting the underdogs

Back