New SFF gamer case: Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm...I thought about it... but given the number of times that I've installed, uninstalled, and re-installed components already to learn what the order of operations is on this chassis, I decided against it. Maybe I'll get around to it tomorrow.

FYI, everyone, when operating in such a tightly packed chassis, such as this, your best bet for cabling is to attach any cables to the components AS they're being installed, instead of installing the component, and then trying to cable to it. Your widest open area in this chassis is the area directly above the CPU, and to the rear of the PSU. If all of your cables are already attached to the components, and you leave the ends dangling free in this area, you'll be MUCH better off.

Yes, we splitted the PSU holder and HDD case to make it easier to install. You should be able to set up all the HDDs in the cage, with cables attached to it like you mentioned, and then add the PSU. Hopefully, the system we developed make it easy enough to mount and unmount.
We are trying hard to get some short custom cable made for various PSU, but it is not as easy as it seems. For some reasons, getting an answer from the manufacturer is harder than anticipated. That would be great to save some extra space and make the build very clean.

Last edited:
as i felt this case really needs a custom powersupply cabling . this is going to be a nightmare useing a standard atx powersupply with cables it comes with

Jen

as i felt this case really needs a custom powersupply cabling . this is going to be a nightmare useing a standard atx powersupply with cables it comes with
Jen

I think it really depends what you put in it. But yes, the shorter the cable, the better it is. And you need to try to use zip-ties everywhere you can to keep it organize.
As we get more and more configuration up, we will try to identify what can be done to improve cable management. But the more compact the case, the harder it becomes.;)
It's kind of like trying to fit a 5970 and an ATX power supply in a SG05/SG06.:D

We noticed a little conception mistake. To install the card, you might have to remove the "top pin" above your DVI port. .
If you look carefully at this picture, it was removed:
vuearriere_rd.jpg

Then your card should slide easily.

Lol, I just tried putting the card in the empty case on its own and kept looking at that top DVI screw wondering why it kept hitting something.

I think an easy fix for that would be to increase (or raise) the height of the rectangular expansion slot cutout 1.0mm

[edit]Just tried a dry/solo fitting of the 5970 and it still seems too long. With the case in "sled" form (i.e. nothing but the bottom piece of metal (which is also the front and back), the front of the batmobile pushes the front of the case out at an angle. The 5970 would fit if it had an aftermarket cooler (or waterblock) on, but the curved part of the red nostrils are just a bit too long. Again, I'm talking like about 2.5-3.5mm.

Lol, I just tried putting the card in the empty case on its own and kept looking at that top DVI screw wondering why it kept hitting something.

I think an easy fix for that would be to increase (or raise) the height of the rectangular expansion slot cutout 1.0mm

[edit]Just tried a dry/solo fitting of the 5970 and it still seems too long. With the case in "sled" form (i.e. nothing but the bottom piece of metal (which is also the front and back), the front of the batmobile pushes the front of the case out at an angle. The 5970 would fit if it had an aftermarket cooler (or waterblock) on, but the curved part of the red nostrils are just a bit too long. Again, I'm talking like about 2.5-3.5mm.

Could you post a few pictures Machupo? That would help figure out the change to be made.
Otherwise, yes, the height of the cut out has already been fixed.

Could you post a few pictures Machupo? That would help figure out the change to be made.
Otherwise, yes, the height of the cut out has already been fixed.

Here are two pics of the 5970 in the bare case, the third is me having no idea how to screw this thing in (I'm going to wait until tomorrow and then file off all the paint in the surrounding area).

IMG_8821.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

Here are two pics of the 5970 in the bare case, the third is me having no idea how to screw this thing in (I'm going to wait until tomorrow and then file off all the paint in the surrounding area).

IMG_8821.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

Excellent. Now if we could define exactly how many mm we need to fit it with this heat sink, it would be great.
So the next step would be to measure exactly the difference, maybe by setting the card on the side of the case? By looking at it, I would say 5mm to be safe but I'd like to hear from you what it comes up to.

Lol Machupo I really am not laughing at your 5970 misfortune, that does certainly present a signifcant problem. I AM, however, laughing @ the two if us trying to cram this stuff in here. Its awesomely idiotic.

Jen / mattinv - yeah I am giving serious thought to getting a second PP05 set and going a hacking.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

borrowed a buddy's BFG Tech 9800GTX+ for now, until FedEx undoes their rectal-cranial inversion manuever. Pics:

2010-07-20001704.jpg

2010-07-20001729.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to zip tie the everloving SHIT out of anything permanent, connect my SSDs, try to find a home for my fan power hub, connect my SSDs and load Windows 7.

Also, I would just like to say that the system WAS powered on, and WAS successful on the first. Not a pat on the back for myself, but not a bad feat considering that the video card last saw action 6 months ago, the board and CPU were both purchased as used, and my PSU has been sitting idle for almost a month now.

...first [H]'er to successfully fire the rig up... check!

and in shot #2, yes, that's the current state of my Da Box build. I need the extra 2x 3.5" HDD tray for above the PCI slots before I can clean her up, and button her up. Or, I need 2TB drives. Prefer both.

Last edited:
Excellent. Now if we could define exactly how many mm we need to fit it with this heat sink, it would be great.
So the next step would be to measure exactly the difference, maybe by setting the card on the side of the case? By looking at it, I would say 5mm to be safe but I'd like to hear from you what it comes up to.

The way I originally had it placed (eyeballed) I would think 5.22mm would do it:
IMG_8825.jpg

But the, I found these screws on the back of the bracket (they hold the heatsink onto the bracket)... these are what have been preventing me from screwing the card into the case. I will have to shave down the paint where these screws contact to get a good seating.
IMG_8827.jpg

If I take them into account (standing the card further away from the paint to account for the 0.5mm thickness of these screw heads), you'll see that the previous measurement no longer works.
IMG_8826.jpg

Matt -- I would say 6mm for a snug fitting, 7mm if you're feeling generous ;)

borrowed a buddy's BFG Tech 9800GTX+ for now, until FedEx undoes their rectal-cranial inversion manuever. Pics:

2010-07-20001704.jpg

2010-07-20001729.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to zip tie the everloving SHIT out of anything permanent, connect my SSDs, try to find a home for my fan power hub, connect my SSDs and load Windows 7.

Also, I would just like to say that the system WAS powered on, and WAS successful on the first. Not a pat on the back for myself, but not a bad feat considering that the video card last saw action 6 months ago, the board and CPU were both purchased as used, and my PSU has been sitting idle for almost a month now.

...first [H]'er to successfully fire the rig up... check!

and in shot #2, yes, that's the current state of my Da Box build. I need the extra 2x 3.5" HDD tray for above the PCI slots before I can clean her up, and button her up. Or, I need 2TB drives. Prefer both.

lol, that's it... as soon as I get the motherboard height set and my little heatsinks shave down a bit, i'm putting in a 5850 :p

mobo is finally mounted :) found some M3-050x10 screws at the local hardware shop, lifted the board 3.5mm (just to be sure), and everything is mounted up.

IMG_8829.jpg

also made a mod to the PCIe bracket on the case... I'll test it after work today to make sure that my vid card can fit in the bracket at least (going to use the 5850 from here on out for the air build).

IMG_8828.jpg

Lol Machupo I really am not laughing at your 5970 misfortune, that does certainly present a signifcant problem. I AM, however, laughing @ the two if us trying to cram this stuff in here. Its awesomely idiotic.

Jen / mattinv - yeah I am giving serious thought to getting a second PP05 set and going a hacking.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

as another party said here a nexus 430 which i have here or i beleive there is also a nexus that is modular would be best for this case for full size atx. its shortest powersupply i know of out there. i have one here not doing anything along with 3 other powersupplys

Jen

as another party said here a nexus 430 which i have here or i beleive there is also a nexus that is modular would be best for this case for full size atx. its shortest powersupply i know of out there. i have one here not doing anything along with 3 other powersupplys

Jen

They also have short 530W and 630W Single Rail PSUs...interesting.

All the short (125mm) Nexus are with fixed cables.

Those with modular cables are 158mm long, which is only 2mm less than the ST1000-P (which has 160mm if I'm not mistaken).

wow, the NX-6000 is 35mm shorter than the silverstone 1000-P. only shame is that it's not modular.

Those with modular cables are 158mm long, which is only 2mm less than the ST1000-P (which has 160mm if I'm not mistaken).

it's longer than that. The NX-5000 is almost 1.5inches shorter than a standard ATX PSU...that might help with the cabling. I love my x-650...but this might be an option..SPCR seemed to like it too.

Well I wish that there was a shorter fully modular PSU. I'm not really going to hunt for it, though. If you guys come up wiht one, I'll take a gander. I'm about to pull the trigger on a slim 6x BD optical drive, as I just sold my Novint Falcon + pistol grip giving me the funds I needed to do so. OH how I wish I had my proper cooler and video card!

I went hunting at Frys for any slim BD optical that was faster than 2x, either internal or external. I found a Bufalo unit for $299.99... a 6x BD-RW drive. I cried when I walked away.

Last edited:
AWWWWWWWWWW shit! it's ON! anyone else thinking 2x120mm rad + 1x120mm rad for dual loops? that might have to come later for me, though. I gotta get a board and an optical, for night now.

I'm not in the beta but my plan is to run a 240mm Rad in there. Do any of you who actually have access to the case know if a SR-1 240 or MCR240 would fit?

I don't have either of those, and for now, I'm still missing parts that I've paid for, so my funds are all tied up. I need to see my current spec'd hardware installed before I can see what else could be done with this thing.

I'm not in the beta but my plan is to run a 240mm Rad in there. Do any of you who actually have access to the case know if a SR-1 240 or MCR240 would fit?

if the radiator thickness is over 30mm, neither of them is fitting in there. I'm banging my brain trying to figure out how to fit a Black Ice stealth (29.6mm) in there... but with the width of the psu, either the radiator or the fans will have to go on the outside.

That is, of course, unless Lan-Gear wants to add 12-25mm width to that side of the case :D

if the radiator thickness is over 30mm, neither of them is fitting in there. I'm banging my brain trying to figure out how to fit a Black Ice stealth (29.6mm) in there... but with the width of the psu, either the radiator or the fans will have to go on the outside.

That is, of course, unless Lan-Gear wants to add 12-25mm width to that side of the case :D

bigger the case less mini it becomes . you can only go so far , giggles

Jen

The older Corsair HX520 and HX620 are modular and only 150mm long.

true, but that's only 10mm, and they are not fully modular, right? the main ATX power and others are permanently (without modification) attached, and quite lengthy

Well I wish that there was a shorter fully modular PSU. I'm not really going to hunt for it, though. If you guys come up wiht one, I'll take a gander. I'm about to pull the trigger on a slim 6x BD optical drive, as I just sold my Novint Falcon + pistol grip giving me the funds I needed to do so. OH how I wish I had my proper cooler and video card!

I went hunting at Frys for any slim BD optical that was faster than 2x, either internal or external. I found a Bufalo unit for $299.99... a 6x BD-RW drive. I cried when I walked away.

Interesting, I started to look at BD drive because I need one without a tray for one of the prototype we are working on.
I found a good website with an incredible selection of drives from $70 to $300+. I will post it later tonight.

DON'T YOU THREATEN ME

lol, no worries, put all the stuff on the computer and the MB sagged just enough to make one of the mini mofset heatsinks on the back touch the case again... sooooo, it's disassemble/reassemble again tomorrow to grind it down a bit.

You are definitely correct about wiring everything up BEFORE installing it in the case... I can't imagine what trying to build this beast w/o a modular PSU would be like... I'd probably dremel my wrists ('cause the case sure isn't sharp enough, lol).

I'm in windows, right now, downloading updated drivers. apparently the DFI T2RS P45 JR and MI P55-T36 both use intel controllers that run the same drivers (ICHxR)...damn thing went right into windows. Ripped out my catalyst drivers, ran driver cleaner, and am pulling down new drivers from Nvidia and DFI (GPU ad mobo).

I did zip tie the crap out of my Reset, Power, FP Audio/USB, and Power / HDD LED leads, and tucked them into the 3.5" drive area. I also got my SSDs all wired... on this DFI board, you are DEFINITELY going to need right angled, short depth SATA connectors on the SSD side. The SSD mount point closest to the chassis side with the fans has it's entire data and power plug blocked by the location of the DFI's main ATX 24pin connection.

I did do a bit of swearing today. It's very difficult to route the cables from the power and HDD LEDs to the front panel pinouts on the board, then the LEDs are connected to the PSU cage. You can't really route the cables, because you can't get the GPU in unless the PSU is out of the chassis. So, you have to try to route cables after the GPU is in...but when you have a full length GPU (full length of the chassis, that is), this is impossible.

Interesting, I started to look at BD drive because I need one without a tray for one of the prototype we are working on.
I found a good website with an incredible selection of drives from $70 to $300+. I will post it later tonight.

please do, although, at this point, it's already too late for Machupo and I. We ordered the same ones from Newegg. That makes our builds identical in the following components:

Chassis
motherboard
optical drive
power supply

will be interesting to see how the the remainder of the components impact the build.

Well I wish that there was a shorter fully modular PSU. I'm not really going to hunt for it, though. If you guys come up wiht one, I'll take a gander.

Well, if you think about it, it does seem unlikely.

Take that 125mm PSU and add connector sockets to make it modular. How much space will the sockets use up, with cables soldered onto it's back? 25mm? -> and there you are. It's 150mm again...

So unless somebody comes up with a new superflat connector-system...

I am a ripping retard at the moment. And since I've had a 2x BD drive for about a year now, I'm tired of waiting forever to get that part done. mattinv, those are sure some nice prices! wish I had seen this yesterday, probably would have went for a 4x BD drive for $75 instead of the 6x for $140

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back