New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

Hello, when will this case be available in Germany/Austria? Spring? Summer?

Cheers RoddY

Hi RoddY,

You can get it in Germany and the rest of Europe beginning of December. At least, that's what we are shooting for. So you could order one for Christmas if you'd like to.
The person in charge of that can be reached at: [email protected]

On another note, we will post 2 more series of tests shortly.
We also should have the first picture of the production DA BOX November 16th.
So keep your fingers crossed, it's coming!:D

Hi RoddY,

You can get it in Germany and the rest of Europe beginning of December. At least, that's what we are shooting for. So you could order one for Christmas if you'd like to.

Yay November 16th is my birthday! Have we decided what color inside the production models are going to have yet?

For the first production run, we'll have no color and all black.
But, we can have had request for a yellow. So if anybody is interested, it is a possibility.

Hi RoddY,

Thanks for your fast reply mattinv! Do you know how much the case will roughly cost in Germany/Austria?

Cheers

That is a beauty, and well thought out to boot. I love the simplicity. Well done. If I ever go the mATX route again or have a desire to switch my current setup out of its current case I'll be taking a very serious look at this case.

Cheers!

I'm pretty disappointed you guys aren't considering changing the name. If the name is printed on the case and isn't easily removable, thats a pretty big negative to me.

Also, what happened with the case feet? What did you end up deciding on?

I may have missed this but how many 3.5" drives will this case be able to hold?

Hi Guys,

Here is a quick summary.
We wanted to put very nice case feets. It looks like, because of timing and price, we are going to offer them later in option. It is too hard and very expensive to get them made for the production, which is starting this week. At least, this way, we can keep the price down.
The name of the case will not be printed on the case. The reason we didn't change it is that we were too advanced and marketing + printing already started when the discussion came up. No big deal, it's just a name, and it's only going to be visible in the manual for the one of you who don't like it.
We are still making some last little modifications but it is a go.
We just added the possibility of mounting a 140mm fan (next to the CPU), which you can see in the rendering below (fully loaded, with 5 HDD, all 6 fans, etc...). The first test and reviews will start November 16th.
The only stuff not showing are the fan filters.

Enjoy!:D
render17.jpg

render18.jpg

render19.jpg

Inside looks great, its gonna look cramped up in there with all the components in. But as long as they fit, its all good. Front panel should be changed though, looks too bland, kinda makes me not wanna get the case because I dont have a dremel yet. :( But who knows. Also looks like a h50 will fit on the side cpu fan, maybe that can be an intake and the back fan an exhaust. Cool.

Regarding the front of the case, we will offer more options later.
But at this point, nice and simple.

The name of the case will not be printed on the case. The reason we didn't change it is that we were too advanced and marketing + printing already started when the discussion came up. No big deal, it's just a name, and it's only going to be visible in the manual for the one of you who don't like it.

I'm glad the name of the case isn't on the case. IMO. having the name on the case takes away from the design of the case itself.

The problem with the optical bay for me is that the front panel only allows slim mounted devices. It should use a standard 5-1/4" cover for versatility.

Good morning everybody,

We will offer a front cover that will allow for more versatility but we wanted to start with a clean design. We will price out these options and keep you informed as soon as we hear anything.

I also wanted to announce the official MSRP price of the case.
Basic model: no window, no anodize inside: $159 (down from $180-$185)
All black model: window, fully anodize: $179 (the best we could do considering how expensive it is to anodize here in the USA, and good quality window cost)
We are hoping we can lower these prices on the long run, but it is very tough right now. Our ultimate objective is to cut $20 on both products over the next 2 years, by optimizing production and suppliers. We'll do our best. Made in USA has a cost, but hopefully, it translate into good quality and happy customer, plus quite a few jobs in the area where it's being produced.

I will try to post some temperature testing later today. More to come the rest of the week with a SLI of 4870 (nice and warm:p).

Enjoy!

One more time: The optical drive is not a slim version.

Why does the perspective in the third shot look wonky? The rear of the case looks squashed. Please, please remember mounting holes for a 120mm fan on the side along with the 140 option. There are far too few 140mm fans to satisfy everyone.

One more time: The optical drive is not a slim version.

Why does the perspective in the third shot look wonky? The rear of the case looks squashed. Please, please remember mounting holes for a 120mm fan on the side along with the 140 option. There are far too few 140mm fans to satisfy everyone.

I will make the necessary modifications so that you can mount a 120mm fan, a 140mm fan with 140mm holes mount, or a 140mm fan with 120mm holes mount. ;)

Thats a wall of fans in such a little case haha, Have you made renders for the new front panel? Would like to see some before I buy the v1.

AND holes for WC? I must of missed that addon :eek:

Lovely case. Are the glowing led feet I recommended waaay back still a viable option?

The outside of the case has not changed, we just added a support for an extra 140mm / 120 mm fan. I had that planned for a while, I was just waiting to see how the heatsinks were fitting so far. Anyway, it is optional. And yes, A wall of fans, so plenty of airflow. But no more holes that before. Same amount. No changes there.
render22.jpg

Last edited:
The outside of the case has not changed, we just added a support for an extra 140mm / 120 mm fan. I had that planned for a while, I was just waiting to see how the heatsinks were fitting so far. Anyway, it is optional. And yes, A wall of fans, so plenty of airflow. But no more holes that before. Same amount. No changes there.

lol. Probably just my horrible memory playing tricks on me.

Oh dear god! Its so beautiful!
Ship me one, I live in NZ. Oh how I hate living so far away from good & cheap technology!

Here's a question for your design... Will it fit this new GPU if the rumors are true?

'Alienbabeltech has leaked what may be the first images of the new card and it looks to be a beast in every way. Measuring 13.5 inches (34.29 cm) long, the prototype 5970 has no reason to feel insecure -- after all, it's endowed with presumably the longest PCB on a mass-produced graphics card to date. It's reportedly a struggle to fit the card inside even full size tower cases like the Antec 1200. It is unknown if these dimensions will carry over to the production card.'

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=16709

:eek:

Hehe, yes baby, this will fit in our case!:D No modding needed!
12610_large_Radeon_HD5970_01.jpg

DA BOX is the only true SFF case that can fit this type of video card and the PSU that goes with it. Cable management is going to be tough. Get the zip ties ready.
DA BOX will ship with 1 x 120mm fan and 1 x 92mm fan. The other 3 fans are optional.
The USB ports are on the side of the case. We are trying to keep the front very nice looking. Even on the side, there are easily accessible.
We are working on a new set of ports including a e-sata. But that will be in the future.

PS: Maybe I should write AMD to get an engineering sample, just to take some pictures!

Last edited:
looks like the pcb shroud in in the image makes the board like 5cm longer than the cooler tacked on.

This case really makes me wanna build an SFF LAN box... my only problem is finding a way to transport it but keep it in good condition...

No worries Blazestorm, we haven't talked about it but DA BOX comes with an optional bag, being in the prototyping phase right now. It's padded, design to carry some good weight (for the ones of you with a crossfire of HD5970 and 1.5kg heatsinks:D).
We just have to work on a few details (which I do not take care of, I let the Pro do that), but we haven't forgotten that a SFF box must be transported. It's kind of the point of having a small PC, isn't it?:p

Hehe yep, I was looking for one with a handle, but I think it looks cleaner how it is and a small bag that fits it would be nice... extra $20 wouldn't be a big deal either...

I was originally looking at the SG01 I think or the Fragbox, but this is a much better option.

mattinv said:
DA BOX is the only true SFF case that can fit this type of video card and the PSU that goes with it.
THIS IS NOT TRUE. The Qmicra V2E will fit this as well.

You aren't going to get many people saying the Qmicra is not an SFF case.

Sorry to bold it so much but I don't like misinformation :)

THIS IS NOT TRUE. The Qmicra V2E will fit this as well.

You aren't going to get many people saying the Qmicra is not an SFF case.

Sorry to bold it so much but I don't like misinformation :)

This is not what I meant. I did not think of the Qmicra V2 not being a SFF.
Let me reformulate. It is the only compact SFF in its category (23L or less - similar to SG01/SG02 category) that can fit a HD5890.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Qmicra V2 is almost a 30L case (29.7L), or 30% bigger. Great case, just bigger, but yes, my statement was not correct in its form. There are SFF that can fit it. The NZXT rogue. Quite a few small ATX tower could potentially work.

Last edited:
Let me reformulate. It is the only compact SFF in its category (23L or less - similar to SG01/SG02 category) that can fit a HD5890.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Qmicra V2 is almost a 30L case (29.7L), or 30% bigger. Great case, just bigger, but yes, my statement was not correct in its form. There are SFF that can fit it. The NZXT rogue. Quite a few small ATX tower could potentially work.

Bravo! That, and the crazy amount of stuff this case can fit = total win.

Yeah, the SilverStone's will hold up 11in cards like the 5870. The Qv2E will fit it though. Any word on what is the biggest PSU that can fit and still have the long cards?

But it looks like this case could potentially fit the 5890 (5870x2) which is supposed to be like 13.5" long...

Well I'm sold. I was really looking at the v351, really like the clean simple design, but I want it to be cool and quiet and that looks to take a fair amount of work with the 350/1 series.

Back