New SG03 Build :) come check!

Intrusive

n00b
Hey guys,

So here is my prospective build. I'm from Australia so I had a few difficulties looking for some parts (eg the enzotech ultimate cpu cooler isn't available here, so I think I may have to settle for a NT06e and stay dual core) and I've included the prices so you can compare (I think the majority here are from the US, but to get a general idea of the demographics, feel free to post where you're from too :D).

Pioneer DVR-216 20X DVDRW SATA $49.00
SilverStone SG03 Black SFF Tower $149.00
DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS mATX Motherboard $189.00
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 $259.00 (was wanting quad but small case + passive cooler doesn't work for me)
SilverStone NT06 Evolution Universal CPU Cooler $45.00
HIS Hightech Radeon HD4850 512MB $247.50
Zalman 500W ZM500-HP$133.00
Samsung 250GB 7200rpm SATA II HD252HJ $82.00
Team Xtreem Dark 2x1GB DDR2 800MHz CL4 $69.00

Are there any recommendations regarding the system I have put together? I'm wanting to stick with the case so I'm obviously limited in terms of the HSF I choose, this is my major concern. I'd like to compile a 'will it fit' type list for the HSF's that'll fit in the SG03, and which people have had the best temperatures with. There's already a SG03 HSF thread I think, so will try and get a list going from there. I might end up sticking a fan underneath the pipes too like everyone suggests to do with the NT06.

I'm a little bit worried with the PSU too; has anyone had any experience with this PSU? The box has SLi written on it, but I'm wondering if I should just go and get a 600w one should I drop another video card in later down the line. The online store I'm wanting to buy from don't stock the Strider series PSU's, but basically have everything else, whereas others have like 2-3 of the parts unavailable. I haven't found a site that has everything. The store I'm using is www.pccasegear.com. Trying to keep the budget under 1200AUD.

Looking forward to any recommendations/comments as I've been researching and reading reviews for quite awhile - since I joined [H], but been on and off and waiting for the funds to roll in. Just trying to figure out if anyone has experience with any of the HSF/PSU/CPU combos here.

Sorry if this is another repeat of other threads, I guess I just wanted a bit of attention. And everyone here is very helpful. It feels as if I know most of you guys already from all the threads and posts i've read!

Cheers guys :) and thanks for bearing with me,

Joel

The Zalman PSU has some negative reviews regarding noise which is why I got a Corsair instead. But I didn't like the Corsair either cuz of its lack of complete modularity and unsleeved cables so I ended up with my Silverstone. Perfect.

I wouldn't support HIS ever after their rebate scam - read the thread in Vid Cards section.

Reference temps for stuff in the sig = idle 55-58c, up to 78c load and even more if I stress test which I'll kindly refuse for requests to try. I did tape/seal/fabric soften up every vent to prevent dust while I wait for more parts; open air temps fair a bit better.

I heard something about the NT06 not working properly on the DFI LanParty because of a plate on the back of the motherboard or something to that effect. I am not sure as I don't own one though. I would suggest looking in to the 700W Strider power supply though, it's a little more but has a 135mm fan on it, and is fully modular. I have had 0 issues with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256045

For the hard drive, go with Western Digital's 320GB hard drives instead. Hell you can also get the 640GB drive for less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

In my oppinion it isn't any problem with a quad in this case, of course if you're going for max OC, it will not work. But for small OC it's no problem whith the NT06-E.

I have the NT06-lite (with three heatpipes) and it can handle my Q6600 up to 3,4 Ghz when I bench. In 24/7 I run ~3 Ghz (425x7) and have idle betveen 45-50 and load for 60-65, and that's with OCCT, Prime95 and everest stabiltytest running at same time (100% load).

I have 2 Noctua 800 rpm in the front a passiv Accelero S1 on my 8800 and a quit (slow fan) PSU from Seasonic, S12-II 430W. So the system is very quite.

I'm just now trying out with reversed airflow in my case, but it's no big different in temp, I've told them in an other tread.

So, I whould say, if you want a quad, go fore it, it's gone work!

Swed
P.S. If you can, get an PSU with reversed airflow, even if it don't gone give much better CPU-temp, the PSU at least are gone live longer because it get fresh air.

I used a NT06-Lite with a Q6600 in my SG03. You shouldn't have any problems with the NT06-E and a quad core.

I've since switched to an Enzotech Extreme because I didn't like how I could still see machining marks on all of the NT06s I had. The Enzotech has a mirror smooth surface.

I used a NT06-Lite with a Q6600 in my SG03. You shouldn't have any problems with the NT06-E and a quad core.

I've since switched to an Enzotech Extreme because I didn't like how I could still see machining marks on all of the NT06s I had. The Enzotech has a mirror smooth surface.
Meh. I have the same setup and the same concerns about the machining marks on the NT-06. So I just lapped it and the processor ;)

I would have lapped as well, but the thought of taking wet sandpaper to my processor's cap frightens me.

Stick with the E, I've said many many many many times the Lite will not fit the JR unless you change the backplate. As for Ultra vs NT blah blah blah, they're pretty much the same.

the NT06-E works with the LP Jr?

I am thinking about jumping on the NT06-E but I don't know if it would be worth it over my NT06 Lite

.. I thought you read my rant:rolleyes:
Yea it fits, else I would've made another thread about how the stupid thing wouldn't:D

You can get the bolt thru kits from TR or Xigma for the Lite to work on the JR

Yeah I read it, I didn't remember if you had to do something else with the -E or not.

I just mass emailed a stack of online retailers in Australia. I thought I might copy it into here just in case anyone is in the same kind of situation as me, and might be able to use this as a guide or something.

Before you comment on how lazy I may be doing this, I have spent a crapload of time on online retailer sites and also checking on staticice.com.au (there is no newegg here) just checking for best prices and if they even have parts in stock. It was hard enough finding ones with the case, psu AND motherboard in their inventory, let alone in stock.

Anyway, for your perusal...

Hiya!

I'm thinking about building a system in the very near future, and I've been shopping around a few sites to get the best price possible. There were a few things i'd like to run by you :)

I understand your concern in that I have sent this to multiple retailers, but I have been endlessly placing all my items into online shopping carts only to find that prices jump and change and also somehow get removed from my cart (possibly due to stock levels). I simply do not have enough time to check all your FAQs etc even though I may have emailed your company already (if you have received something similar, parts here will have changed - pccasegear/digitan). This is the reason behind why I am emailing all the retailers for a quote and if they have all the items in stock or viable alternatives. I hope you can understand this and not just decide not to give me a quote or reply.

This is my current build and I'm not too sure if you stock all the items at your site. I do know however that you stock the SG03 and I would like to stick with that case. If there are any suitable items you would like to suggest, please do.

CASE: Silverstone SG03 Black Micro ATX Tower [unchangeable]
MOBO: DFI LANPARTY-JR P45-T2RS [unchangeable due to crossfire capability]
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 OR Q6600
HSF: Silverstone NT06-Evolution [heatsink is limited to 80mm in height due to case]
PSU: 600W Silverstone ST60F Power Supply [I really wouldn't like this to be changed]
HDD: Western Digital SATA II CAVIAR (any size >100GB) [I hear it is quite silent]
GPU: Hightech (any single slot) ATI HD4850 [I would like single slot only for later expandability]
RAM: Corsair/Kingston/etc 2GB [or anything better for the price bracket]

A few things I'd like to inquire about:
  1. Is there any discount when purchasing a full system with you guys? I'd like to put all the parts together myself, so there would be no extra cost for labour.
  2. What are your freight services (and also who is your courier) like in terms of delivery time? I am located in Hillsdale, NSW, 2036 (I didn't get a chance to check the site for FAQs sorry)
  3. What items will I have to wait for regarding stock levels, if any? I think the motherboard and PSU will be hard to stock.
  4. Is there any chance that you will be getting any of these items in stock in the near future if you currently do not stock them? I'm also looking for the short cable kit from silverstone.
  5. Are there any recommendations regarding the system I have put together? I'm wanting to stick with the case so I am limited in terms of the HSF I choose.

I'd just like to reiterate the fact that I have been searching for awhile regarding this system, and that to my frustration, checking all the online carts and stock levels has become quite time consuming. Please hold your replies if you would rather me just visit your site and check the FAQs and/or stock levels, as I may/may not get around to doing this. You will be receiving further replies from me should you reply.

Thanks so much in advance! I really appreciate your efforts to check if the parts are available for me. I really want this system asap, so I really do look forward to your reply! If you do have all items in stock (or will be getting them in the near future) please email me asap. If there is anything you can do for me in addition to your hard effort, I will most certainly buy from your site instead!

Once again, I really appreciate the effort you have taken just to read this email let alone reply, especially if you have received this twice. Thanks so much!

Kind regards,

Joel

Hope this helps someone somewhere, and if not, well... hopefully I get some replies from their sales reps!

Before you comment on how lazy I may be doing this, I have spent a crapload of time on online retailer sites and also checking on staticice.com.au (there is no newegg here) just checking for best prices and if they even have parts in stock.

You may already know this, but not everyone does, so... Shopbot is also a decent place to check Australian prices. They have some stores that staticICE don't, and vice-versa.

Meh. I have the same setup and the same concerns about the machining marks on the NT-06. So I just lapped it and the processor ;)

How did both your temps go with the quad? Prices here are very similar between the E8400 and Q6600. I'm tossing up the heat factors now as to which I go for.

You may already know this, but not everyone does, so... Shopbot is also a decent place to check Australian prices. They have some stores that staticICE don't, and vice-versa.

Yeah, there's quite a few price search sites in Aus. I've used shopbot yeah :) thx hehe

How did both your temps go with the quad? Prices here are very similar between the E8400 and Q6600. I'm tossing up the heat factors now as to which I go for.

My NT-06 and Q6600 at 3.0GHz is hovering at about 65°C at full load, and at about 40°C idle. Full load is tested by running Prime95 at all the different settings and taking the hottest reading. But that's lapped, with a fan underneath blowing up, and a few other tricks.

In the year I've had this box, I've had zero uses for the 3rd and 4th cores. I'm thinking that going quad was a mistake, or at best unnecessary.

I have a Q9300. No fan underneath the NT06 (and I have a regular one... not the E), my temps stay around 50 most of the time. I don't remember my full load temps, although it's not in danger of throttling or anything like that.

I'll try to get some numbers later on.

I have an ST70F with the 135mm fan, and two 800rpm fans blowing into the case. I may go with 1200rpm ones in the future, and get an NT06-E. Probably whenever I decide to upgrade my CPU.

I built a PC for my mom using the SG03, ST80f and a Q6600 -- I just stuck to the stock CPU cooler, with 2 120mms at the front of the case -- no problems whatsoever (not OC'd though).

Space is extremely limited in this case, and the stock CPU cooler does a good job.

Any recommendations as to what case fans to use? I know this has been discussed before but was having trouble finding it. Looking for a balance between silence/airflow :)

Scythe has a nice selection and they're good quality. Their E models are probably the most commonly used by enthusiast for performance/quiet. I use the F model for more airflow. No noise problems in my particular setup (see sig) and I get the extra air intake capacity. There are many good case fans on the market. Just choose one that has low db level and good cfm.

Sweet as thanks Scott.

I was talking with a retailer today and he reckons that even if I get a single slot 4850, that the heatsink is still large (or something of that nature) that it will still block a pci slot on my motherboard. I told him that I didn't think that was right but just wanted some confirmation.

Sweet as thanks Scott.

I was talking with a retailer today and he reckons that even if I get a single slot 4850, that the heatsink is still large (or something of that nature) that it will still block a pci slot on my motherboard. I told him that I didn't think that was right but just wanted some confirmation.

Don't know where you found this guy, but the entire reason for a single slot card is so you don't block adjacent slots. Merriam-Webster could probably throw you that one...

Hey guys,

So I built the system :) I will post pics later as I'm having issues with my net at home.

One thing I'm concerned about however is with the board (?). I'm quite new with all these new bios functions, but In the bios my cpu clock registers as 333mhz and a x9 multiplier, however, when I open up say cpu-z or other monitoring software, it only registers as a x6 multiplier, but it sometimes changes to say x9 just briefly. What is up with that? What is "stock" as well, cause it was initially running at 3.4ghz but I didn't get to check the multiplier/clock, and I was wondering why I got such high temps. Also, when I change the multiplier and clock in the bios to something like 425 x 7, the system wont even boot to windows, even though it isn't really an overclock. The ram I'm using also is ddr2 1066, but it only registers as ddr2 800 - is this dependant on the cpu clock?

It has been years (6) since I've built a computer, so I apologise if any of this sounds real newb. I'm just a little unsure and don't want to start tinkering too much with the bios settings when I really don't know what is good/optimal for the system.

Temps are around 40c idle with coretemp too, hope that sounds alright... (what programs should I be using to monitor?) And boy do I have a rant about the build, I'll leave it for later.

Cheers guys

The reason why your CPU multiplier is 6x is due to Intel SpeedStep technology. Basically, it underclocks your PC when it's idle, to save power and run cooler. Try running an intensive program in the background, then checking CPU-Z.

With your "clock", you're referring to the FSB (front side bus) speed: the speed of your northbridge chip. Both your RAM and your CPU run off (different) multipliers of this. At 425, this may be fine for your RAM and CPU, due to the low multipliers... but too fast for your northbridge. (I don't know how fast is "too fast", but it's a likely explanation.)

Ahh, it's a complicated subject. You'll get a feel for it soon, especially if someone here can do a better job of explaining it than I can...

Well that was great insight enough anyway Calroth, thanks for the heads up with speedstep :) so 333FSB is better for the northbridge, but higher multipliers aren't that great for the cpu/ram? What's the deal with the ram operating at 800mhz again?

I would stick with the defaults: 333MHz FSB speed, and 9x CPU multiplier. That will get you the stock 3.0GHz. Your system is designed to operate with these specs, so it's a "safe" choice. The 40°C idle you see is par for the course.

With your RAM, I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but there's probably a menu buried in your BIOS where you can explicitly set its speed. If not, there may be a menu where you can set its "ratio" (I said "multiplier" before, it's the same concept).

Although you may be interested in overclocking, I recommend staying on the defaults for a few weeks to get a good feel of how your PC performs.

So here's a screen of my setup under load:

Just a small OC, but it's stable after prime at 6hrs. Max load was 63C. I'm just a little confused with the DRAM timings and how they should be setup. I did buy ddr2 1066, but i'm unsure how to reach those speeds, or what the FSB:DRAM ratio is supposed to be set at. I mean I did tinker with it in bios to try and reach a target of around 1070mhz, but it won't post when I do it so I figure I'm just doing something wrong.

I was just wondering too about speedstepping; obviously it saves power, but should I be using it for any other purpose? ie. are there any cons?

I'm still using the stock silverstone case fan too but want to change it to maybe some yate loons as they are a substantial amount cheaper here than some s-flex's ($12:$29), but even then only one online company stocks them and i'll have to pay around $14 anyway for postage. So if I'm going to fork out min $40 for some case fans I might as well get something decent(?) for a bit more.

I found these on ebay though... any suggestions?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-x-Noctua-N...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nexus-120mm-...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

I'm sure there were a few more questions I had but I'll save them for tomorrow, too tired to think atm. :)

Personally, I've always disabled the speedstep feature. For those running the cpu at stock speeds, especially notebook users, its fine but most people who overclock disable it for the better performance. People who overclock basically dont want the speedstep to throttle down their cpu performance at any time. You dont hurt or break anything by disabling it. Also people who overclock use better hsf than the retail hsf so heat and noise is usually not a problem s as long as you have a good hsf on the cpu you should have nothing to worry about.

With your RAM, you're definitely learning how it works! The FSB : DRAM ratio you refer to is the "ratio" I was talking about in a few posts up. In your case it's set to 5:6, which means that since your FSB is 356, your RAM is 427.

Your RAM is rated for 533 (they say "1066", which is double... that's what the first "D" in DDR is!). So if you can get a ratio of 2:3, your RAM will be running at 534, close enough.

Now, you say you did this to get your "1070" figure but it didn't post. Did you also adjust your RAM voltage? According to CPU-Z above, you need 2.1V to the RAM to achieve this. This is probably near the maximum of what your motherboard can supply - I have a P5K-VM and 2.1V is the top setting.

With the SpeedStep, I would leave it turned on. The disadvantage is that it may clock itself down when you don't want it to. For example, it may be idling at 6x and you kick off a hard task, and it takes a while to ramp up. I don't think this is a big deal. The advantage is, the processor runs cooler, prolonging its life, and sucking less power. But this is mainly a philosophy argument, not something that will affect you a lot either way.

Personally, I've always disabled the speedstep feature. For those running the cpu at stock speeds, especially notebook users, its fine but most people who overclock disable it for the better performance. People who overclock basically dont want the speedstep to throttle down their cpu performance at any time.

I don't disable it (w/ my previous o/cs..); I'd say it's a stability thing to disable C1E and EIST). Your o/c gets back up when at load anyways, not like the throttle is permanent.

Your RAM is rated for 533 (they say "1066", which is double... that's what the first "D" in DDR is!). So if you can get a ratio of 2:3, your RAM will be running at 534, close enough.
Wrong. The "2" in DDR2 dictates the 2x (1066), like DDR3 will show as 1333,16blahblah. Running at 1:1 is optimal, having a higher memory speed is meaningless and won't show any performance improvement.

I don't disable it (w/ my previous o/cs..); I'd say it's a stability thing to disable C1E and EIST). Your o/c gets back up when at load anyways, not like the throttle is permanent.

Its a personal preference thing I suppose. Most people I talk to that OC do disable it but like I said each to their own. I, myself, never have had a stability problem yet. The OP can use it both ways and see which he prefers. It wont hurt anything to test it.

Back