New Silverstone FT02

I know but five degrees difference in GPU temps is enormous. Note that the Haf932 crashed and the GPU was only one degree warmer than the FT01.

if you read the review, you'll note that the 100C was the peak temperature and stable, whereas the haf hit 101C and was still rising at that point. 4C difference is not enormous when you consider its 96 vs 100. In real world use, the difference would be minimal if any. The reality is that most users with the 1200 report lower temperatures because their case noise is so high, they can raise the fan speed of the gpu without a difference in noise since it's higher to begin with.

The point I'm trying to make is that the FT01 barely loses to a full tower with exceptional airflow and the FT02 is much improved in GPU cooling, so I'd expect it to beat it easily while also being much quieter.

firas, you could wait for tests to compare the two but I'd take the FT02 over the FT01 for sure unless you are an aluminum snob. I think as long as the black version had an all black interior it wouldn't really matter to me. The silver version is really quite beautiful in person though (talking about the FT01), and FT02 has an even cleaner front IMO.

if you read the review, you'll note that the 100C was the peak temperature and stable, whereas the haf hit 101C and was still rising at that point. 4C difference is not enormous when you consider its 96 vs 100. In real world use, the difference would be minimal if any. The reality is that most users with the 1200 report lower temperatures because their case noise is so high, they can raise the fan speed of the gpu without a difference in noise since it's higher to begin with.

The point I'm trying to make is that the FT01 barely loses to a full tower with exceptional airflow and the FT02 is much improved in GPU cooling, so I'd expect it to beat it easily while also being much quieter.

firas, you could wait for tests to compare the two but I'd take the FT02 over the FT01 for sure unless you are an aluminum snob. I think as long as the black version had an all black interior it wouldn't really matter to me. The silver version is really quite beautiful in person though (talking about the FT01), and FT02 has an even cleaner front IMO.

The CPU cooling on the FT01 is top notch, no doubt about that. I think the FT01 is one of the best looking cases I've seen in a while. But does the FT01 have sufficient video card cooling to handle, say, a GTX295 or two GTX275s (Superclocked) in SLI? I really can't build machines with GPUs that are overheating.

I have an FT01 with two GTX260s. I took the upper hard drive cage out and it cools them off plenty.

I'll reiterate again blackstone, the tests showed that the 900, 1200, and the FT01 performed similarly, none overheated. More importantly, the stress tests are done with an ambient temp of 35C, which is 95F. I doubt anyone's computing area is that hot, unless you are gaming outdoors in the middle of summer or something.

I hope its not your TJ07's performance that is influencing your negativity here. http://www.custompc.co.uk/labs/238062/silverstone-tj07-w.html, though the 280 crashed in this case, I doubt you would still have your TJ07 if it was really that much of a problem. Remember this test was meant to show worst case scenario.

I'll reiterate again blackstone, the tests showed that the 900, 1200, and the FT01 performed similarly, none overheated. More importantly, the stress tests are done with an ambient temp of 35C, which is 95F. I doubt anyone's computing area is that hot, unless you are gaming outdoors in the middle of summer or something.

I hope its not your TJ07's performance that is influencing your negativity here. http://www.custompc.co.uk/labs/238062/silverstone-tj07-w.html, though the 280 crashed in this case, I doubt you would still have your TJ07 if it was really that much of a problem. Remember this test was meant to show worst case scenario.

I am only using a 8800GTX OC in my TJ07. I have no idea how it would handle a GTX295 for example. I did add a front 120mm intake fan for the video card however.

If FT01 can handle a GTX295 or dual GTX275s it is the midtower I would choose. I am very enthusiast about the Tower line of cases, I'm just concerned. I might be using both for some builds for other people and I want to make sure it will keep the graphics hardware stable.

I wish there was some sort of nice Silverstone aluminum optical drive cover for this case. Lian Li makes one but I don't think it is compatible without modification. I love silver cases but it is so much harder to blend an optical drive with a silver case. With black the drives don't spoil the look nearly as much.

This. +1.

I bought a "UPS beat the crap out of the box"/dinged up silver ATCS 840 for $100 shipped off a buddy of mine last week. I also bought a LL silver bezel to hack to use with the case because I don't want a (standard) black optical drive crudding up the beautiful look of the case. I know way back when, CM made bezels; I don't get why case mfrs. make silver cases but no silver bezels. I'm not saying silver > black but some silver cases are just too beautiful (several LL's and the ATCS come to mind). I don't get why there are no silver bezels.

I really like the FT02, if I hadn't just gotten this killer deal on the ATCS (fixed with about $5 in machine screws+bolts and a $7 rubber mallet :D) I was going to buy a white FT02 on release. I still may, I guess...depends on how things go between now and then (and whether a white bezel is available :)).

I can't speak for trying to do it with the Silverstone cases ('cause I've yet to own a Silverstone case), but at least the initial problems are that there is no way to mount the bezel to the case (because LL uses screw holes on the front of the chassis frame itself, which no other case mfr. has), and size wise it's a tight fit (the silver bezel I have will not clear the "window" of the front panel 5.25" cutout; I'm going to have to sand off a little bit on each side of the bezel to get it to fit the ATCS 840).

My estimation is that you'd need to figure out another way to mount the bezel to the case (either double sided tape or zip ties would probably work ok), and possibly sand/shave off a little bit of either the bezel or the front panel to get the bezel to fit.

If you check around, there have been several threads/posts in the past with people using the LL bezels on TJ07's and it looks basically factory when done so it's definitely possible. If I stumble across the links, I'll post them. I know there are some in the Silverstone gallery but it's a long thread and I don't feel like browsing through the whole thing right now.

Lots of tigerdirect bashing on here. I never have a problem with returns or rebates. In fact they even cashed my mail in rebate when the manufactor denied it

That is the most generic looking "elite" case, ever. Like a 1995 office beige case, except not beige, and without sharp edges. Oh, and $200. Actually, it sort of looks like the old-school plastic-like Mac...

When is this coming out though? All the talk is just wasting time without the proper info:rolleyes:

I am only using a 8800GTX OC in my TJ07. I have no idea how it would handle a GTX295 for example. I did add a front 120mm intake fan for the video card however.

If FT01 can handle a GTX295 or dual GTX275s it is the midtower I would choose. I am very enthusiast about the Tower line of cases, I'm just concerned. I might be using both for some builds for other people and I want to make sure it will keep the graphics hardware stable.

I have two GTX260s and it handles them JUST FINE.

I took out the top hard drive bay, I have had no issues ever since.

The temps were perfectly managable with it in, just better with it out.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of optical drive would match the Silver/White FT02?

I have two GTX260s and it handles them JUST FINE.

I took out the top hard drive bay, I have had no issues ever since.

The temps were perfectly managable with it in, just better with it out.

what are you idle temps on the 260s?..I'm wondering if my 2 caviar blacks are making my case hotter than having 2 gtxs. I suppose I should mention that my current setup is upstairs and my ambient is likely in the upper 70s-80s.

what are you idle temps on the 260s?..I'm wondering if my 2 caviar blacks are making my case hotter than having 2 gtxs. I suppose I should mention that my current setup is upstairs and my ambient is likely in the upper 70s-80s.

44 on the bottom GPU, 46 on the top GPU. The fan speed is all the way down to 40%, I can't hear them. I'd consider that fairly acceptable. They get up to around 65C under load, fan speed still at like 60%.

44 on the bottom GPU, 46 on the top GPU. The fan speed is all the way down to 40%, I can't hear them. I'd consider that fairly acceptable. They get up to around 65C under load, fan speed still at like 60%.

mine idles at 53C, though its source of air goes through 2 caviar blacks, which themselves are at 43 and 42.

there needs to be more details/pics of this case released if its supposed to be out next month

You are right on that as normal sleeve bearing fans become noisier only when they are positioned horizontally to blow air up because they vibrate a lot in that particular orientation (this is not a problem if the fan is blowing air down). Noise caused by vibration aside, sleeve bearing fan is still quieter than ball bearing fan. So when we were developing the 180mm fans for the Fortress FT01 and RAVEN RV01 case last year, we spent quite a lot of time solving this problem, eventally we found that a custom spacer designed to fit between the C ring and the bearing cover did the trick and eliminated the vibration.

Problem with sleeve fans is longevity. The problem becomes more apparently when temperatures rise above 25 degrees (inside case temperature is probably hotter than ambient), not to mention the horizontal orientation also negatively impacts the situation. You guys can probably search the same result on Google.

I noticed Silverstone have made replacement 18cm fans, probably proprietary, but no one has them in stock and I have called. What happens if these die in a few years, Silverstone by some turn in fate goes bankrupt and we are stuck with these monster cases with no cooling due to dead fans? Secondly, how much will Silverstone charge for these replacement fans? Afterall, they are proprietary.

These are some questions that remain unanswered. For a piece of mind, work could have been done to engineer FDB type fans that last longer and are quieter than traditional ball bearing. Perhaps, Silverstone should contact Scythe for advice next time. Or hell, get them made from Noctua in bulk.

twich99, thank you for the suggestions. To answer your question, the retail 180mm fans aren't available for sale yet. There will be three 180mm fan models coming next month:

FN181 - black, fixed speed, 700rpm, 100CFM
FN181 - clear w/ blue LED, fixed speed 700rpm, 100CFM
FM181 - white, variable speeds, 500rpm ~ 1300rpm, 65CFM ~ 150CFM

The FM181 will have dual ball bearing while the other two will remain sleeve. We are fully commited to provide our customers with choices and support and that's why we are releasing three models at the same time.

We know that many of our customers have very strong preference for component selections, so the 180mm fan brackets in RV02 and FT02 all have mounting holes for 120mm fan. You are not bound to use only our fans in these cases.

twich99, thank you for the suggestions. To answer your question, the retail 180mm fans aren't available for sale yet. There will be three 180mm fan models coming next month:

The FM181 will have dual ball bearing while the other two will remain sleeve. We are fully commited to provide our customers with choices and support and that's why we are releasing three models at the same time.

We know that many of our customers have very strong preference for component selections, so the 180mm fan brackets in RV02 and FT02 all have mounting holes for 120mm fan. You are not bound to use only our fans in these cases.

That would be awesome. I have the FT01 and I would like some fans with a little more kick, should I need it.

That is great news. Noise wise, how does the FT02 compare with the Raven RV01 in your labs? It has one more 180mm fan which should add a few more db? I know SPCR gave the RV01 quite a good rating in terms of silencing.

Do you all have an official street date yet?

That would be awesome. I have the FT01 and I would like some fans with a little more kick, should I need it.

from your temps I doubt you'd need more kick..even in my case the only reason for the high temps is the low 80s ambient in my upstairs office. I suppose it would be nice for my case to turn up the fans, but I don't know many others who have their setups in a room with such a high ambient temperature.

After playing with speedfan I'd have to agree with spcr though, the front fan in the FT01 on full blast is actually not that quiet (still beats every 140 and 120mm I've heard though), which is why default it'll max out around 550-590. I'm not sure I'd want a louder/faster spinning version in the front at least..maybe on the top though.

Back