New Silverstone FT02

That's pretty shitty. I was thinking about buying the case but that puts me off of it.

I fucking hate how all the case manufacturers have been cheapening their stuff each and every year since the original Coolermaster team left. My biggest pet peeve is Aluminum exterior with ugly steel interiors.

snip

The FT02 was "designed" that way. It's in no way a case that was marketed as all-aluminum.
The FT02 is just a sleek RV02, that's all. The TJ11 is Sivlerstone's latest all-aluminum effort. The think aluminum panels and frame really increased the price.

As for quality aluminum, you can consider www.caselabs.net.
They make the best enthusiast aluminum cases on the market right now IMO. Below your hypothecial $1000 budget.

Last edited:
"With the Fortress FT02' SilverStone engineers have combined the rigidity of unibody construction with the unparalleled cooling layout of the RAVEN chassis'"

Sure dose make it sound like an aluminum Raven series chassis to me... which is exactly what I was paying for, and exactly what I didn't get.

I did pay attention to the thread, by the way. I obviously didn't go back 100+ pages and read everything, but in most pictures the plastic top panel sections are not obvious (including the stock pictures used on every site for ordering I've seen). In person this is unfortunately not the case.

Yeah, when I read aluminum unibody, I was thinking like it was on the TJ07 - aluminum through and through.

"With the Fortress FT02' SilverStone engineers have combined the rigidity of unibody construction with the unparalleled cooling layout of the RAVEN chassis'"

Sure dose make it sound like an aluminum Raven series chassis to me... which is exactly what I was paying for, and exactly what I didn't get.

I did pay attention to the thread, by the way. I obviously didn't go back 100+ pages and read everything, but in most pictures the plastic top panel sections are not obvious (including the stock pictures used on every site for ordering I've seen). In person this is unfortunately not the case.

I'm sure you knew the frame was steel right? Recycled from the RV02.
Aside from the materials used, the case itself is one of the best I've ever owned.

I own an all-aluminum Lian Li now, but I didn't see the FT02 isn't a lesser case because of the steel interior.
The price is a little high for a non all-aluminum case but it outperforms every cases in its' segment.
The are many other cases that are much more expensive and have more steel and plastic than the FT02.

You sort have the same appreciation of aluminum as me. So you should stick with Lian Li, Caselabs or Silverstone's higher end cases.
Here's hoping Cooler Master renews the ATCS series.

I don't have a problem with the steel frame, there's no issue there. It's the excessive use of plastic in the top, where it is often most visible that I have a serious problem with. It takes a beautifully designed and built case and makes it look and feel cheap.

Yes, it is skinned over with aluminum and that's fine from an aesthetic perspective, but if they'd just made that skin a little thicker the thick plastic backing pieces wouldn't have been necessary at all.

I've calmed down a bit since my initial post and will be keeping the case, but the construction methods used in light of how it was advertised are still a big disappointment. This has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth as my first experience with a supposedly high end Silverstone case, however, and I don't think I'll be buying any more of their products sight-unseen.

Know what? Remembered, I was also a bit surprised on the use of plastic on top when I bought my Limited. Thinking... "of all places, this is where the heat comes out and they placed/used plastics!". But Hey! This was, and still one of the best case for air-cooled set ups. And more than a year after, still going strong! And thus, erased my doubts. And, having to remove the top in messing the cables...opening the case now and then...proved the plastics had some its benefits.

If I there would be any complaint in my part, it would be noise. The 3 AP180s are a bit loud for my taste. After I installed a Lamptron Touch. It solved the problem.

Side note: The only thing I had done on this case was today. I cleaned the 3 air penetrator filters because temps have risen already (5-6c, filters were full of dust). After which, its all back to normal.

Last edited:
If I there would be any complaint in my part, it would be noise. The 3 AP180s are a bit loud for my taste. After I installed a Lamptron Touch. It solved the problem.

The AP182's are being released in March for $30 each. Better motor, grill and rpm's from 500-2000. These will be awesome for a 540 rad. :D
No news on if they will update their cases with this fan, but the AP181's are pretty good as is(700-1200rpm). If they update their cases with these, I may have to get my fourth FT02.

via Future Looks

The Air Penetrator series of fans are one of the best performing units on the market. Silverstone’s own high performance cases use them. They are launch a unit called the AP182 that spins from 500 – 2000RPM in a 180mm size. A new fan motor and design was required to accomplish this and it will still be quiet and provide their FT series and RV series users a high performance upgrade. Hopefully they create 200mm and 230mm versions so that we can upgrade other cases on the market. Expect to see this hit for about $30 US and in stores around March 2012.

Last edited:
Call me a purist, but in my experience nothing beats Panaflo fans for noise (at reasonable RPMs), airflow and high static pressure. I haven't really messed around with the AP181s, so maybe I'll change my tune, but when I can get Panaflos (and I still have some that are 6+ years old going strong without issue) for about $15 each I'd have a really hard time spending $30 on a fan -- any fan.

The AP182's are being released in March for $30 each. Better motor, grill and rpm's from 500-2000. These will be awesome for a 540 rad. :D
No news on if they will update their cases with this fan, but the AP181's are pretty good as is(700-1200rpm). If they update their cases with these, I may have to get my fourth FT02.

via Future Looks

Ideally for radiator, fans shouldn't have any built-in grills, as they become useless once fan is attached to rad. This feature may work only for fans used as ventilation, to blow air through the case.
Would be also nice if new better revision of fans was included in future releases of FT02. Buying a case just to replace fans for almost same slightly better fans, paying extra is quite a waste (given the price of FT02 must depend on fact 3 180mm fans are included).

Ideally for radiator, fans shouldn't have any built-in grills, as they become useless once fan is attached to rad. This feature may work only for fans used as ventilation, to blow air through the case.
Would be also nice if new better revision of fans was included in future releases of FT02. Buying a case just to replace fans for almost same slightly better fans, paying extra is quite a waste (given the price of FT02 must depend on fact 3 180mm fans are included).

I imagine the grills for the AP fans arent the same as they actually alter airflow and judging by the demonstration video on SS website they would be ideal for use with radiators.

I imagine the grills for the AP fans arent the same as they actually alter airflow and judging by the demonstration video on SS website they would be ideal for use with radiators.

You are correct. The grills assist the airflow to exhaust vertically. Normal fans diffuse the airflow horizontally and vertically, which would be inefficient in this case.
I still sent SS an email asking for the fan grills to be removable. The AP181 grills are is a PITA to clean.

Here's hoping the AP182 grills are detachable.

That was my point, why would you need an extra grill for a fan that is directly attachet to a rad? This air can't go anywhere else, ALL air goes through radiator. And this grill is only an obstacle, lowering total performance of a fan. Im my opinion, for radiator, fans without any extra grills would be more efficient.

And these grills (with or without), will the degree/percent of temperature change it contributes to your water cooling system be valid enough at the end?

Last edited:
I love my FT02 and see no need to change it unless they release an updated version in the future.

That was my point, why would you need an extra grill for a fan that is directly attachet to a rad? This air can't go anywhere else, ALL air goes through radiator. And this grill is only an obstacle, lowering total performance of a fan. Im my opinion, for radiator, fans without any extra grills would be more efficient.

Because with a normal fan, your going to have a deadzone in the center of the fan...the grills on the AP fans alter airflow to eliminate that deadzone in the center...which would make for an ideal item to between a fan and radiator...more surface area being actively cooled on the radiator...

Because with a normal fan, your going to have a deadzone in the center of the fan...the grills on the AP fans alter airflow to eliminate that deadzone in the center...which would make for an ideal item to between a fan and radiator...more surface area being actively cooled on the radiator...

It doesn't eliminate deadzone, because fan is too close to radiator, you need shroud in order to achieve that.
The AP fan grills are not really meant to eliminate deadzone, but to direct airflow, for greater distances from the fan (if you use fan to blow air though the case, it creates more focused beam of air, unlike normal fans that spread it). This grill has no advantages if used for radiator.

Just ordered FT 02B-W from directcanada.
Think it will come with the AP fans ???
Definitely going to return it if it doesn't.
Shouldn't have to spend $90 on fans for a $250 case.

Last edited:
Just ordered FT 02B-W from directcanada.
Think it will come with the AP fans ???
Definitely going to return it if it doesn't.
Shouldn't have to spend $90 on fans for a $250 case.

All FT02s come with AP fans, there are just newer ones coming out. The case will not come with the newer fans, they're not released yet.

I think I should get something for starting this epic thread. Just a thought. ;-)

One handed clap?

J/k, I actually check this thread quite frequently and have learned a decent bit about my case (part #'s, H20 set-ups, etc). Its a one stop shop.

I think he deserves "more".
Ok....Thank You!

Penguin-clapping-animation.gif

Here's a direct question for Tony Ou:

Can you confirm or deny if Silverstone is going to launch a revision somewhere in the following months of the FT02 which will contain three AP182 fans?

The new AP182 fans look great. Looks like they finally sleeved the cables on them so there's no more ugly red, yellow, black wires everywhere.

I just hope the final product isn't white lol, would match horribly inside the black FT02 and RV02/03

The new AP182 fans look great. Looks like they finally sleeved the cables on them so there's no more ugly red, yellow, black wires everywhere.

I just hope the final product isn't white lol, would match horribly inside the black FT02 and RV02/03

My 181s are sleeved...

My 181s are sleeved...

Same. Maybe this is a more recent thing? They aren't sleeved all the way to the motor, just to the fan housing, so you do see a little red/black/yellow, but that's normal. If it bothers you that much black electrical tape is your friend.

I bought my FT-02 before even the AP181s were included, but didn't see the need to upgrade to them particularly at the cost they wanted. I might actually get these new AP182s though if the cables are sleeved, as that would make the case much nicer looking (I can sleeve them myself, I just . . . well . . . don't want to do it, haha!!). Did the guy in the linked video say the AP182s has a pot controller rather than the switches on the current fan? If so will it fit in the same mounting spot as the switches on the current case?

I honestly should have RMAd the case when I first got it since the HDD cages don't stay locked into the mounting rack if I'm pushing on them from the rear (like to attach SATA cables), but it was a minor quibble that I lived with, and I hate the things anyway so I might just remove them and suspend all my HDDs from bungie cords or something next time I'm inside the case for an upgrade.

Otherwise, I've loved the case and don't have any regrets.

I honestly should have RMAd the case when I first got it since the HDD cages don't stay locked into the mounting rack if I'm pushing on them from the rear (like to attach SATA cables), but it was a minor quibble that I lived with, and I hate the things anyway so I might just remove them and suspend all my HDDs from bungie cords or something next time I'm inside the case for an upgrade.

So tempted. I may drill out the cage at some point and do something similar. I haven't had the issues you're describing, but I really don't care for the plastic trays. They stay put, but they're flimsy and push the drives back farther than necessary, leaving little in the way of room to attach power and SATA cables. The amount of stress put on the connectors is worrisome, particularly when we're talking about a pair of $200 a piece SSDs. (Hell, since the shortage my HDDs are probably worth $150 for the pair at this point.)

I bought my FT-02 before even the AP181s were included, but didn't see the need to upgrade to them particularly at the cost they wanted. I might actually get these new AP182s though if the cables are sleeved, as that would make the case much nicer looking (I can sleeve them myself, I just . . . well . . . don't want to do it, haha!!). Did the guy in the linked video say the AP182s has a pot controller rather than the switches on the current fan? If so will it fit in the same mounting spot as the switches on the current case?.

This is the same reason I want the AP182s, I just don't want to go through the hassle of sleeving the ones I have now. If the AP182s come with a pot controller rather than switches, it might work even better for cable management since you could hide the whole thing behind the motherboard tray.

It would be great to get Tony Ou in here for some answers :)

So tempted. I may drill out the cage at some point and do something similar. I haven't had the issues you're describing, but I really don't care for the plastic trays. They stay put, but they're flimsy and push the drives back farther than necessary, leaving little in the way of room to attach power and SATA cables. The amount of stress put on the connectors is worrisome, particularly when we're talking about a pair of $200 a piece SSDs. (Hell, since the shortage my HDDs are probably worth $150 for the pair at this point.)

I thought about drilling out the cage too, but then I'd have nowhere to attach the bungie cords!! :p

I seriously thought about just moving all my HDDs into the multitude of unused 5.25 drive bays (and I'm not even using the special small drive mount on the back side at all).

Instead of upgrading to AP182s (mine are AP181s) why not buy a fan controller instead, and attached them all fans? Mine worked(and still working). With it (Lamptron Touch), I could adjust to any speed individually, manual or automatic.

AP181s can't hit those 2000rpms they're talking, but if you really need 2000rpms (for benchmarks, burnins etc.), mind as well open up your case, right?

But its that lowend that I am interested. 500rpms..I don't know how much low noise it will have. Well we have to wait for the reviews then...:p Well just for info.
Happy with my system right now. A little bit loud still for my taste (its those two Gigabyte GTX480 SOCs). But it rocks.

Last edited:
I almost bought another FT02 last night, but I been there done that four times(one RV02).
Would love to see the future version of this case at some point.

InsideRig.jpg

This is how I set up my cables with [ Premium Cables Extensions - NZXT ] easy setup make it look professional!...This picture was the beginning of setup looks much better with back cover on its like it has no cables connected!:D

RigPix.jpg
I upgraded to the AP181 which is way better air flow!...I just upgraded to a 46' LCD will post pic's later on...:D

I upgraded to the AP181 which is way better air flow!...I just upgraded to a 46' LCD will post pic's later on...:D

Looks good. I'm tempted to pay the $100 to get the "official" individually sleeved cables for my Corsair AX850 (has the theme that I hate sleeving cables become apparent?).

My temperatures tend to be fine with the original fans (even with my i7-870@4Ghz overclock and SLI 460s), which is why I never upgraded to the AP181 fans. Do you find the AP181s to be louder than the originals? That was also a concern I had about them.

Looks good. I'm tempted to pay the $100 to get the "official" individually sleeved cables for my Corsair AX850 (has the theme that I hate sleeving cables become apparent?).

My temperatures tend to be fine with the original fans (even with my i7-870@4Ghz overclock and SLI 460s), which is why I never upgraded to the AP181 fans. Do you find the AP181s to be louder than the originals? That was also a concern I had about them.
No I don't find them loud & I have it full blast all day!...The FT02 foam padded interior noise absorption pretty much does the job keeping the noise down, I also have the AP181 setup on Lamptron which is great if you want to slow'em down...
Now when it comes to my 580GTX before I go into gamin' like BF3, I always set the fan speed to 75% from default 40% now that makes a loud noise!..Which I never notice until I took my headset off...I love my headsets!:D

The longer that I've had this case the more that I regret buying it. Its really good for cards with normal reference blower fans but thats about it. Your options with gpu coolers are very, very limited. I can't fit anything on my bottom card since it'll hit the drive bay. If I were to do the H60/620 mod I would have no place for the rad. Water cooling would be a bastard. There is no room behind the motherboard tray. Your options with this case are just too limited.

The longer that I've had this case the more that I regret buying it. Its really good for cards with normal reference blower fans but thats about it. Your options with gpu coolers are very, very limited. I can't fit anything on my bottom card since it'll hit the drive bay. If I were to do the H60/620 mod I would have no place for the rad. Water cooling would be a bastard. There is no room behind the motherboard tray. Your options with this case are just too limited.
Yes you are right on somethings but it can be done!...Now I do expect anyone that knows about mods & liquid cooling to do their Architectural Studies before purchasing a case.
I guess for a few its a love & hate relationship with the FT02!...I love it & have no problems with my setup! :D...For what I use it I'm talkin' about FPS gamin'...I be killin' players that have way better extremely expensive setup than mine & cant keep up a fight! :D

I keep tellin'em Its not the machine you built, Its the experience in gamin' that does the job! :D

Back