New Sony 17" and 25" OLED monitors

I'm hoping for better than 1080p res on consumer OLED PC monitors, though. Even my 20" CRTs do 1200 pixels vertically. There's no way I'd be losing 120 lines there :)

But your 20 inch CRT doesn't have the same image quality or responce time of these OLED
Plus 1080p on a 25 incher looks way better than 1600x1200 on a tiny blurry CRT :)

I used to be a die hard CRT user, but as of now a good LCD is so much better in overall image quality and sharpness than a good CRT. My Eizo FS2331 just looks much nicer and more accurate than my Lacie Electron Blue IV and the G520 I had before.
And that's just a 23 inch 1080p monitor

as of now a good LCD is so much better in overall image quality and sharpness than a good CRT.

Better in overall image quality, wait what? and why do you assume that all CRTs are blurry?

Also, high res on a smaller size is amazing with games (aliasing is less noticeable and it looks much better overall) but sure, it can make text too small as well for certain things.

The only thing I'm afraid of with OLEDs is the scaling, apparently they still have a fixed resolution like LCDs meaning you won't get a good picture with lower than native res like you could on CRTs. And oh boy that's so handy for low res games/films. Plus when your rig wasn't beasty enough you could just lower the res and not lose significantly in PQ.

Better in overall image quality, wait what? and why do you assume that all CRTs are blurry?

Also, high res on a smaller size is amazing with games (aliasing is less noticeable and it looks much better overall) but sure, it can make text too small as well for certain things.

The only thing I'm afraid of with OLEDs is the scaling, apparently they still have a fixed resolution like LCDs meaning you won't get a good picture with lower than native res like you could on CRTs. And oh boy that's so handy for low res games/films. Plus when your rig wasn't beasty enough you could just lower the res and not lose significantly in PQ.

Because it generally is. When something is a discrete pixel it will be sharper.

Scaling, at least on my Eizo has come a long way. A lower res screen scaled up looked sharper than my CRT at the same resolution.
CRTs are basicly doing a form of scaling themselves. They also have noticable scanlines at low res as well

There are trade offs either way, but I'll take the superior image quality, responce time, and framerate of OLED over CRT and LCD. The only thing it looses to CRT is the viewing angle.
But who sits 180 degrees to the screen anyway :D

Last edited:
OLED is emissive like CRT, so it has 180 degrees viewing angle as well. LCD is the only technology which truly sucks in every single respect compared to these two technologies. LCD has worse blacks, worse refresh, worse viewing angles, worse colour quality and generally just sucks.

I use my CRTs for professional graphics & video design work and colour accuracy and fast refresh with no ghosting are very important to me. My CRTs do perfect blacks (near-infinite contrast), run at 85 Hz refresh with absolutely no ghosting.

In contrast the IPS professional LCDs I looked at have 60 Hz refresh, noticeable ghosting and their blacks are more a kind of dark grey, not to mention the white glow near the edges. MVA panels are better than IPS in some respects, but worse in others. Neither of them come close to my 5+ year old Iiyama CRTs. It's certainly not worth it to spend EUR 1,500 times two to replace them.

Well my Eizo C-PVA has very nice blacks, on par with my CRTs if not better, also much sharper, better colour accuracy. Just has ghosting and not as good viewing angles.
I switch between my Eizo and CRTs quite a bit, but use my LCD 80% of time now, it just looks that much better. I'll only use my CRT for games and low res movies, and only if I don't care about the eye candy.
CRTs are only to get worse over time, they're all pretty old now.

According the above Sony video, OLED can't match CRT for viewing angles.
CRT have phosphor trailing which OLED won't have, so it's not entirely trace/ghost free either

Well my Eizo C-PVA has very nice blacks, on par with my CRTs if not better, also much sharper, better colour accuracy. Just has ghosting and not as good viewing angles.
I switch between my Eizo and CRTs quite a bit, but use my LCD 80% of time now, it just looks that much better. I'll only use my CRT for games and low res movies, and only if I don't care about the eye candy.
CRTs are only to get worse over time, they're all pretty old now.

CRT have phosphor trailing which OLED won't have, so it's not entirely trace/ghost free either

One can't generically refer to CRTs, because Sony's final GDM class CRTs were quite sharp. As were probably some others. (Sony's high end tubes were very expensive, but they still certainly count as representatives of that technology. In fact, Displaymate still lists the GDM-F520 as the reference standard against which all other computer displays are judged.)

Hadn't heard about a viewing angle limitation of OLED. All I can say is, I hope that's not true or is not true to nearly the extent as it is with LCD. Especially with TV setups, where most of the viewers may be looking at a set at some kind of angle...

I used to be a die hard CRT user, but as of now a good LCD is so much better in overall image quality and sharpness than a good CRT.

Lol.

Also, let's not forget OLED still samples and holds.

If FED ever makes it to the market, OLED can keep its bendy... features for the next Star Trek film. Real 240 Hz refresh rates on FED in FPS, yes please. OLED will still have input lag due to the digital processing - in this regard no different to LCD. Also, phosphor color beats everything I've seen so far, just looks the most natural. Not to mention ability to scale like CRT even though it's fixed pixel (variable beam size), no dead pixels whatsoever (even if 20% of the emitters fail you won't notice anything - try that with your OLED)... damn amazing tech. I pray AU Optronics brings it to market.

One can't generically refer to CRTs, because Sony's final GDM class CRTs were quite sharp. As were probably some others. (Sony's high end tubes were very expensive, but they still certainly count as representatives of that technology. In fact, Displaymate still lists the GDM-F520 as the reference standard against which all other computer displays are judged.)

Hadn't heard about a viewing angle limitation of OLED. All I can say is, I hope that's not true or is not true to nearly the extent as it is with LCD. Especially with TV setups, where most of the viewers may be looking at a set at some kind of angle...

Never used an F520, but I do went through two G520, which is a rung below, but definitely not a patch on my Eizo.

And there geometry issues with all CRTS. I notice on Trinitrons only the centre area is true, out to edges, the image gets distorted/stretched due the guiding method used. Noticable on icons and such.
An analog device just won't be as precise as a digital one, which has an either it's on or off state :)

OLED will probably be like IPS viewing angle wise, good, but it's not gonna be like a CRT where you can see everything exactly the same at an almost side on angle.
Watching OLED displays on a rotating stand, the image dissapears at that angle

edit - the cheaper Sony broadcast monitors have 89 degree viewing angle
The one trade off is the significantly smaller, 89-degree viewing angle. Good thing movie editors are used to huddling uncomfortably close together.

Last edited:
Lol.

Also, let's not forget OLED still samples and holds.

If FED ever makes it to the market, OLED can keep its bendy... features for the next Star Trek film. Real 240 Hz refresh rates on FED in FPS, yes please. OLED will still have input lag due to the digital processing - in this regard no different to LCD. Also, phosphor color beats everything I've seen so far, just looks the most natural. Not to mention ability to scale like CRT even though it's fixed pixel (variable beam size), no dead pixels whatsoever (even if 20% of the emitters fail you won't notice anything - try that with your OLED)... damn amazing tech. I pray AU Optronics brings it to market.

AU Optronics/Benq has crappy quality control. So don't count on it :)

If it was still back with the Japanese firm and Sony , I would be optimistic, but less so now.
Must be a reason why Sony got out of FED when they did.

Manufacturing anything that needs to be assembled with a vacuum seal can't be cheap.
If anything you should be placing your hopes on Cannon and SED, which is better than FED, but they've pulled out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxv7mmKHRhs

According to Reuters, Canon has halted any further development of SED displays for home use.

Canon’s inability to bring down production costs was stated as the main reason for stopping further SED TV work.

As any regular visitor here knows, the legal troubles of the past few years were probably also a major factor in crippling what could have been the best flat panel display available so far.

Canon may continue to develop the technology for image diagnostic and other commercial uses but we won’t see a 50″ SED in stores in the future.

edit -

A video on the smaller Sony OLED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZKnaFEHu0&

Last edited:
We could have had SED back in 2006 if it wasn't for some stupid patent issues. Then the economical crisis hit and now Canon doesn't seem SED to be suitable for mass-production. Maybe if the economy recovers some more... It really is a nice technology. Everything good about CRTs with the slimness of LCDs minus the darn backlight and polarization filters.

Hmmpf. :(
If you're right about that, it feels like a disaster to me.
But my guess is that it can vary from different OLED panels.
Is everyone sure they never use some kind of filters on OLED monitors?
Because if they do, that might be what fucks up the angles. Or perhaps reflections?

Seems to be no problem here :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3MGJ6qV30U&feature=related#t=0m35s

I got directly to that interval by putting in
#t=0m35s
after related

I think the viewing angles were taken out of context.
On the Sony site, it shows as 89 , 89 , 89 , 89 degree - ie left, right, top, bottom. So It's pretty close to 180 then :)
In the video the guy plotted a curve of viewing angle rating, and it was less than CRT

Jonte - just go to Youtube and type in Sony OLED monitor
1:28 in this one shows it at an angle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAC0c1tGzw

LG ones at 0:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80MhHdoOJFI

Samsung
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW68pDnr4lw

The issue with OLED viewing angle I think is the same as LED, namely internal reflection and the need to increase efficiency with light extraction techniques.

Last edited:
This doesn't have a whole lot to do with OLED displays, but does anyone have experience with monitors like the pro Sony ones people have been linking to in this thread (the really expensive ones)? Are they that much better than an LCD I can get from NEC or Dell? Just wondering...I didn't even know monitors like that existed, and you'd think that in all the years I've been around computers I'd see some rich guy on the forums who has one of these for his gaming setup. I searched on Google for an answer, but I don't think I'm using the right terms.

I think the viewing angles were taken out of context.
On the Sony site, it shows as 89 , 89 , 89 , 89 degree - ie left, right, top, bottom. So It's pretty close to 180 then :)
In the video the guy plotted a curve of viewing angle rating, and it was less than CRT

Jonte - just go to Youtube and type in Sony OLED monitor
1:28 in this one shows it at an angle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAC0c1tGzw

LG ones at 0:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80MhHdoOJFI

Samsung
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW68pDnr4lw

Thank you.

OLED monitors are just amazing. IPS monitors looks like crap compared to OLED.

The issue with OLED viewing angle I think is the same as LED, namely internal reflection and the need to increase efficiency with light extraction techniques.

Not even close. there is no such thing as an "led" monitor. What you are referring to are just regular lcds using leds as a back light source instead of ccfls. Oled monitors use a true 1:1 array of leds to display images directly. If anything I expect oled monitors to have better viewing angles AND response time then crts' as there is no glass substrate and the fact that leds are purely an electronic component whereas phosphors rely on an electrochemical reaction.

We could have had SED back in 2006 if it wasn't for some stupid patent issues. Then the economical crisis hit and now Canon doesn't seem SED to be suitable for mass-production. Maybe if the economy recovers some more... It really is a nice technology. Everything good about CRTs with the slimness of LCDs minus the darn backlight and polarization filters.

I would love to see SED monitors too. :(

Not even close. there is no such thing as an "led" monitor. What you are referring to are just regular lcds using leds as a back light source instead of ccfls. Oled monitors use a true 1:1 array of leds to display images directly. If anything I expect oled monitors to have better viewing angles AND response time then crts' as there is no glass substrate and the fact that leds are purely an electronic component whereas phosphors rely on an electrochemical reaction.

I was referring to LED as a light source, just as OLED is not necessarily a monitor.

Oh, and SED is dead. Talking about it is a waste of time relative to OLED.

Well, OLED doesn't suffer from that as there is no plasic dome over the LED surface as there is with your typical flashlight LED.

I agree on the SED - OLED is potentially better quality then SED as well. (non-phosper based)

If sony can sell these 20" or so pro monitors for $4000... why not a ~22" 1080p consumer monitor for $1000 or so? :( :confused:

Well, OLED doesn't suffer from that as there is no plasic dome over the LED surface as there is with your typical flashlight LED.

Yes, it does. Light is trapped at the glass-air interface by internal reflection in OLEDs, as I said above. Therefore, novel designs in light extraction are required to increase what I believe is called "external efficiency".

If sony can sell these 20" or so pro monitors for $4000... why not a ~22" 1080p consumer monitor for $1000 or so? :( :confused:

Because that would be a waste of a reference broadcast grade OLED panel.

Yes, it does. Light is trapped at the glass-air interface by internal reflection in OLEDs, as I said above. Therefore, novel designs in light extraction are required to increase what I believe is called "external efficiency".

Because that would be a waste of a reference broadcast grade OLED panel.

What are you talking about? OLED displays need not any glass whatsoever. Where is the glass air interface? Even if there was glass over the display for whatever reason (cell phone digitizer) Glass substrates have been part of Plasma and CRT since their beginning and they're view angles are just fine so I am not sure what would prompt the need for "novel designs."

And how would developing and marketing a cheaper consumer OLED monitor for less then a pro monitor be a "waste of a reference broadcast grade OLED panel,'? Are you implying that OLED displays are just too good and too low quanitiy to make into consumer displays? :confused:

"A simple OLED structure has a significant amount of its emitted light trapped inside, due to the refractive-index mismatch between the substrate and organic layers. In a conventional bottom-emission OLED, only about 50% of the generated photons will propagate into the substrate and the remainder will be wave-guided and dissipated in the organic layers due to the refractive mismatch between the organic stack (n = 1.7–1.9) and the substrate (n = 1.5). Finally, only 40% of the photons reaching the substrate will be emitted into the air due to the total internal reflection at the substrate/air interface. As a result, only 20% of all photons formed in an emitting layer can escape from the glass substrate into the air.4 From this point of view, the improvement of the light-extraction efficiency is critical to enhancing the power efficiency, lifetime, and brightness."

- OLEDs: A Lighting Revolution?, Information Display Oct 2010, highlight mine.

leoled.png

This is a simple image from a slideshow I found that depicts internal reflection both between layers and the glass(substrate)-air boundary. This is a topic that I currently do not have strong knowledge of, so I have done my best to use internet searchable terms in place of my own explanation.

Now, I know this forum teaches bad habits in terms of what you should expect from other users, but you would have soon seen that an adversarial tone was not necessary had you googled anything such as 'OLED "internal reflection"' and skimmed over the results.

Thanks for that informative post, Whoisthisreally :) It's good to see someone truly concerned with informing others.

One other point with OLED which has been an issue for a long time has been the high current required for driving the OLED cells. This was recently solved by using carbon nanowires instead of the previous metal conductors, which should allow OLED screens to scale much more easily. Together with more efficient light production by reducing the 'wasted' light, this should make large OLED displays a reality, and at a very competitive price with LCD :)

I saw Sony selling a OLED monitor for 6 grand - which while expensive is no longer "crazy"? Does this mean we have turned the corner and are going to see HDTV's and monitors that are OLED?
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/product-PVM2541/

I mean that's full OLED available from store right? That's a pretty bold step.. That's only like 8x more then IPS.

Yes, definitely not crazy and if they just reach some amount of units the price should drop pretty quickly.

Most people wont even consider them until they are < $1500 but if we are lucky thats only 1 or 2 years away.

25 inch and Full HD. Would be perfect for movies and gaming.

Just wonder about the input lag.

370x251

Available with different stand as well.

med_ty11022501_06_pvm2541---_nl.jpg

4800 euros
http://www.tv-bg.com/index.php?=&id...spage=1&catid=84&mcatid=83&type=Monitors SONY

"25-inch Professional OLED Picture Monitor
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION

The PVM-2541 &#8220;All in one&#8221; OLED monitor delivers unparalleled picture quality with high-value performance features and functions, all in a compact design.

Sony&#8217;s 25-inch Super Top Emission OLED display panel benefits from superb black performance, wide colour gamut, and quick response with virtually no motion blur. By combining the Sony OLED display panel (Full HD, 10-bit driver) and Sony&#8217;s OLED processing technologies, the PVM-2541 OLED monitor delivers groundbreaking picture quality.

This product comes with the full PrimeSupport package with 2-years warranty. That&#8217;s fast, hassle-free repairs, a helpline offering expert technical advice, and a free loan unit while yours is repaired. Plus the peace of mind that Sony is looking after your equipment &#8211; and your business.

Sony OLED with Full HD and RGB 10-bit driver

The PVM-2541 OLED panel features a Full HD resolution (1920 x 1080) and RBG 10-bit driver together with Sony&#8217;s Super Top Emission OLED display panel to create life-like and smoother-than-ever gradation from dark to bright portions of a scene such as in a sunrise or sunset.
TRIMASTER EL design architecture

TRIMASTER Technology is a design architecture used to bring out the full performance capabilities of professional flat-panel displays. It comprises the core technologies that enable the highest level of colour accuracy, precision imaging, and picture-quality consistency. EL (Electro-Luminescence) is an ideal display device of self emission with high dynamic range and high picture quality. With the new \'EL\' device refining the \'TRIMASTER\' technology, Sony now re-defines the professional industry with \'TRIMASTER EL\' line ups.
Superb Black Performance

Thanks to the Sony OLED display panels, the deep black can be accurately displayed and the black portion of an image is not raised.
Wide Colour Gamut and High-Purity Deep Colour Reproduction

Sony OLED is a display device with a wide colour gamut offering not only colour gamuts of broadcast standards (ITU-R BT.709, EBU, SMPTE-C), but also offers the widest colour gamut of the Sony OLED panel.

Sony&#8217;s Super Top Emission technology is using micro-cavity and colour filters. Sony&#8217;s micro-cavity structure uses an optical resonance effect and its colour filters enhance the colour purity of each RGB colour. This combination is also effective in reducing ambient light reflection, and consequently deep colour reproduction can be achieved without colour degradation, even in bright environments.
Quick Response with Blur-free Motion

Because the OLED Electro-Luminescent layer inherently responds to any electrical current input, it emits light immediately. By this mechanism, excellent quick response characteristics can be achieved in fast-motion images. This efficient, blur-free, fast response benefits a variety of applications and scenes, eg. in sports broadcasting, monitoring of camera panning and text scrolling.
Superb Uniformity

The PVM-2541 monitor incorporates a newly-developed OLED processor to bring out the full performance of the Sony OLED panels. This OLED processor offers superb uniformity across everywhere on the screen. At the factory, the OLED panel uniformity is precisely measured and corrected using a sophisticated RGB LUT (Look-Up Table) adjustment system.
I/P Mode Selection

The PVM-2541 monitor provides three I/P modes so that users can select the most suitable mode for each purpose:

INTER-FIELD: This mode interpolates images between fields. This is used for picture quality precedence (eg. to reduce the jagged effect on moving pictures).

FIELD MERGE: This mode combines lines alternately in odd and even fields, regardless of picture movements. This is used for PsF (Progressive Segmented Frame) processing and still image monitoring.

LINE DOUBLER: This mode interpolates by repeating each line. This is used for editing and monitoring fast-moving images and checking line flicker. The minimum processing time is less than one field (0.5 frames).
Lightweight Compact Design &#8211; Flexible Styling For Picture Monitoring

The PVM-2541 incorporate a lightweight, compact metal body, and its style can flexibly be changed according to the user&#8217;s application: a desktop with standard stands, or with an optional stand SU-561, or without a stand for wall application.

The monitor supports VESA mounting of 100 mm pitch and an EIA 19-inch standard rack with an optional rackmount bracket. These features are flexible for a variety of users applications, such as desktop editing, office viewing, monitor wall in studio-sub and installing in OB Vans.
Easy-to-use Control Panel

A rotary-type switch and seven function-assignable buttons allow users speedy and intuitive operation. Operation buttons with LED indicators enable error-free operation, even in dark environments.*

* LED lights can be switched on/off.
Input Versatility

The PVM-2541 is equipped with built-in standard input interfaces: 3G/HD/SD-SDI (x2), HDMI input (x1) and composite (x1).
Waveform Monitor, Audio Level Meter and Time Code Display

The input signal&#8217;s waveform with a 2-channel audio level meter can be displayed on screen. When an SDI interface is connected, the embedded audio level can be displayed on screen with an 8-channel audio level meter. A time code superimposed on SDI signals can be displayed on screen. Users can select either LTC or VITC. The Audio Level Meter function works only when receiving SDI-embedded audio signals.
Auto White Balance

PVM-2541 monitors are adjusted at the factory to achieve optimized colour, brightness, and gamma prior to shipment. OLED monitor performance, however, typically changes over time and requires regular recalibration to maintain its original performance.

The PVM-2541 monitor employs a software-based white balance calibration function, which is called AutoWhiteBalance. Combined with a PC and commercially available calibration tool*, this function enables simple adjustment of the monitor&#8217;s white balance.

*The X-Rite Eye-one (i1) Pro Series
External Remote Control Function

The PVM-2541 has an external remote control capability for input/output signal selection and adjustment of various items via Ethernet (10BASE-T/100BASETX) connection. Up to 32 monitors and up to four control units can be connected via Ethernet connection and controlled remotely on the network The PVM-2541 also supports some (though not all) of the functions of the BKM-16R &#8211; an optional remote control unit for BVM-E/BVM-L/PVM-L Series monitors &#8211; such as power on/off switch and Input Select function."

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind two of those puppies on my desk. I'd gladly replace my CRTs with them :D

LG has been selling 15" Oled tv for a year now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Electronics-15EL9500/dp/B003CJWTIM

Altrough that spec sheet is wrong as it is 1366x768 not 1080p.

And I'm still scratching my head why noone used that panel yet to produce ultra high end gaming notebook.

It almost feels like deliberate delay to increase ROI of lcd fabs.

edit: that Sony professional OLED is worth more than my car :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd rather have a good monitor than a car :p

Anyway I heard about a netbook with an OLED monitor not long after the 15" was available... guess it was never released though as I haven't heard about it since.

Haha don't have that problem yet, though I don't have the money either :(

Well, whats the problem. There were plenty of rich people in the "no affordable monitor on the market" thread. Where are those people now? :D

LG has been selling 15" Oled tv for a year now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Electronics-15EL9500/dp/B003CJWTIM

Altrough that spec sheet is wrong as it is 1366x768 not 1080p.

And I'm still scratching my head why noone used that panel yet to produce ultra high end gaming notebook.

It almost feels like deliberate delay to increase ROI of lcd fabs.

edit: that Sony professional OLED is worth more than my car :)

I have that LG Oled tv. I use it only for the PS3.... and yes gaming is amazing on it. There is zero blur, the blacks are so black that playing in pitch black the eyes can not make out if its on or off.

Been playing Super Sf4 and MK on it... its been a real pleasure for sure( no input lag!!) and labeling the input as PC correctly handles the 4:4:4 chroma! Very sharp!. I am probably the only person using it for gaming but coming from a Pioneer Elite pro 111 tv to this... just wow!

I was at first very skeptical of the size and the resolution of the tv, but after getting it and using those concerns have gone away. I can sit up to 3 ft away from it and enjoy it, the clarity is WAY clearer then lcd, the way the Oled pixels are arranges the screen honestly looks like looking at a magazine, its that clear!!

If you have the $ grabbing one is def worth it for gaming, the console games look INSANE on this panel :) And this is coming from someone that used to have a Sony FW900 24 inch CRT monitor that I used 360 with vga cable on. The LG Oled destroys that monitor in clarity and contract and color. I need to put some pics of it in action with games on here.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have that LG Oled tv. I use it only for the PS3.... and yes gaming is amazing on it. There is zero blur, the blacks are so black that playing in pitch black the eyes can not make out if its on or off.

Been playing Super Sf4 and MK on it... its been a real pleasure for sure( no input lag!!) and labeling the input as PC correctly handles the 4:4:4 chroma! Very sharp!. I am probably the only person using it for gaming but coming from a Pioneer Elite pro 111 tv to this... just wow!

I was at first very skeptical of the size and the resolution of the tv, but after getting it and using those concerns have gone away. I can sit up to 3 ft away from it and enjoy it, the clarity is WAY clearer then lcd, the way the Oled pixels are arranges the screen honeslty looks like looking at a magazine, its that clear!!

If you have the $ grabbing one is def worth it for gaming, the console games look INSANE on this panel :)

Cool, thats great! :)

What about input lag? Have you tested it? Do you notice it?

Cool, thats great! :)

What about input lag? Have you tested it? Do you notice it?

Compared to the Sony CRT there is none when the input is labeled PC input. When using any other iput label the tv does use some processing and the input lag is in the 15ms range, or about one frame. If one uses the tv I would recommend labeling the input as pc as the picture is even clearer and there is no input lag as the processing is turned off.

Now here is the kicker.... if you hook up a pc to the tv... the tv can go up to 120 hz native.... so the higher the refresh rate the smoother the image as far as moving is. I was VERY surprised by this, this means that oled will allow us to go above 60 hz just like crt's did!

Now here is the kicker.... if you hook up a pc to the tv... the tv can go up to 120 hz native.... so the higher the refresh rate the smoother the image as far as moving is. I was VERY surprised by this, this means that oled will allow us to go above 60 hz just like crt's did!

Not too surprising if you realize that LCDs are a mechanical technology, and the they're slow to change because it takes physical effort to change the orientation of the crystals. With OLED you're simply turning individual OLEDs off or on, which is mostly limited by the TFT grid and controller :)

OLED itself should easily go up to 500 Hz like PDP.

Compared to the Sony CRT there is none when the input is labeled PC input. When using any other iput label the tv does use some processing and the input lag is in the 15ms range, or about one frame. If one uses the tv I would recommend labeling the input as pc as the picture is even clearer and there is no input lag as the processing is turned off.

Sounds great!

In all honesty LCD is crap. It doesnt matter if it is IPS or TN. It is crap!

My next monitor will be OLED for sure!

Sounds great!

In all honesty LCD is crap. It doesnt matter if it is IPS or TN. It is crap!

My next monitor will be OLED for sure!

I have a Apple 27 cinema display on my desk next to the LG oled. The Apple monitor is nice! Its just alot different then the Oled... its VERY weird to look at the screen and the black is literally NON existant. Still not used to it yet :p

Back