New speakers or new sound card?

Aus10

[H]ard|Gawd
I have got my subwoofer it is a energy esw-m6 and i love it i think it does a fantastic job for me. Some people say it is terrible but its good for only my computer. I have a onkyo Sr-Tx504 reciver. (not sure if thats right the letters are prolly wrong im not home sorry). Right now i have some kenwood speakers in the front and Jvcs in the rear. I do a lot of gaming o my computer and watch blu-rays but i listen to music more then anything. Thats where my next problem comes about. I am trying to decide if i need a sound card next or just new speakers. I dont know anything about sound cards never used one in my life but i have read that this one is good... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102033 . The speakers i was looking at getting are these...

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/klipsch-quintet-overview/

Are those any good? I also would need help choosing speakers..

Thank you all

What would you do in my shoes?

Hi
Are your receiver connected via coaxial, Hdmi or a analog connection?
Speakers you need to match your receivers impedance with the speakers impedance more or less

I will be running optical out of the motherboard soon..

I dont know anything about the impedance? Im not sure what that is....

I will be running optical out of the motherboard soon..

I dont know anything about the impedance? Im not sure what that is....

Loudspeakers have impedances of 8 ohms, 6 ohms or 4 ohms (those are approximate values, because the impedance of a speaker changes all the time with the different frequencies of music).A 4-ohm speaker speaker draws more electric current through your AV receiver's output transistors, and since more current equals greater power, 4-ohm speakers tend to have greater dynamic range and play louder more easily than 8-ohm speakers. AV receivers also produce more power into 4-ohm speakers than 8-ohm speakers, as much as 50% more.
Now a receiver got 0 ohm impedance and you can connect speakers of 8, 6 and 4 to it. But don't get ones below that you can damage the receiver. Then make sure your amplifier can pull speakers of 4ohms. Remember a the lower the more power the speaker receives.
Now you don't want your receiver waste its power due to increase resistance and impedance by getting junk speaker wires. 12 gauge wires should be be fine and the best choice to use. So first look if your receiver can pull 4 ohm speakers if it can get ones with 4 ohm impedance for a good sound.
to look for your receivers impedance check the mid range on its specs should say something like 4-8ohms

What gpu do you have?

That's a lot to throw down on an internal sound card. Perhaps get an external one for more flexible use?
Creative is great for gaming audio, but there are better options if you want to optimize for music audio.

Actually Headfi.org would be a very helpful place to snoop about, numerous people asking the same questions there, check out the FAQs.

Actually Headfi.org would be a very helpful place to snoop about, numerous people asking the same questions there, check out the FAQs.
There's some good genuine people on HF. For the most part though, the average user is either a charlatan or a delusional person who believes in the mystical qualities of extremely expensive esoteric-cables, powercords and other pseudo-scientific nonsense. Beware.

Aus10, as I suspect what Spoony is also alluding to when he asks about your GPU if you could output audio over HDMI you wouldn't need any soundcard at all.
Or in other example you mention using optical spdif, in this case the matter is moot too.

I'm not able to understand in any way how a new soundcard could be of any benefit to your listening setup.

If you intend to use the optical spdif then you will not hear any improvement with a sound card.
Basically the spdif signal will get sent to your receiver before the sound card does anything with the signal stream. Therefor there is no effect if the signal comes from the on board sound or a sound card.

I do not know anything about my reciever... I could look around and find out...

As for the sound card and GPU,
So if i use a optical cable out of my motherboard too the reciever.. I wont need a sound card.
My gpu is a Xfx 5830 but my reciever doesnt have a Hdmi import on it?

Ok nice to know that i dont need a sound card lol

Some people said for my too use either the infinety and behringer speakers... but i like klipsch and iv never heard those brand of speakers...

Your receiver is nice. Get new speakers. No need to spend that money on a sound card.

How much do you want to spend on speakers?

Your receiver is nice. Get new speakers. No need to spend that money on a sound card.

How much do you want to spend on speakers?

It depends honestly im not too worried about the rears ill do those down the road i would do like 250 for a center channel prolly the same for the front speakers too

First off, I'd suggest you buy used from audiogon. You can get much more speaker for the price.

With that said, you have a lot of options for the price range. If you have room next to your desk, you can get a set of floor standing speakers. If you listen to music the most, then focus on that.

I'd ask for less, but seriously, these speakers are amazing for the money. The company is now defunct, but the designer still supports them.
I'd ask for less money though and you can always find a pair near you if the shipping is too high.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1306105599&/AV123-X-Statik-cherry

The center speaker that's designed for this is amazing as well.

If you're looking for bookshelf speakers, the Usher S520 and the center channel version are great for the money. I also like the NHT Classic 3 and the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1. Any of these speakers will make a great system.

Start browsing audiogon.com. You'll find something you'll like. If you don't see something, wait, it'll show up.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR504&class=Receiver&p=s

It does 8ohms? Is that bad? I cant get 4ohms speakers can i?

Well im not really sure cuz down a little and it reads at 3ohms it does 180watts?

Thanks for the help everyone

Look for 6 ohm. Remember the setup and the angle of the speakers is what counts in the end with a surround system.
Here's something that will help you with that
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/s...ome-theater-speaker-layout-an-essential-guide

Look at these speakers
Onkyo SKS-HT870

Ok i read through that guide, ill go home and make adjusments lol.

I already have a sub tho? And i cant put floorstanding speakers on my desk lol i dont have room for anything huge..

I tried and can't find the part where you speak about the problem with your current system.
Or is it that you just want to spend more money chasing that elusive audio quality? If so, spend it on speakers first.
If I was in your shoes and there would be nothing bothering me with the current system, I would just enjoy it.

I tried and can't find the part where you speak about the problem with your current system.
Or is it that you just want to spend more money chasing that elusive audio quality? If so, spend it on speakers first.
If I was in your shoes and there would be nothing bothering me with the current system, I would just enjoy it.

Some time times the speakers dont sound that good. At high volumes i was just really wanting a sub which i got. Ig i was chasing better sund quality lol.

I am going to enjoy and then when i am ready i will upgrade the other speakers..

I want to liquid cool my computer and a new gpu so audio is on hold lol

As others said and to reaffirm with optical or any digital out to the reciever the sound card should not matter.

If you are looking for speakers in the $250 range I suggest you look at the Polk monitor 60 series 2 from newegg, they often come down to around 110 120 per speaker. They a good value for the speaker you get.

Another speaker to look heavily at is the pioneer SP-FS51-LR
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer...air)/1147998.p?id=1218224796804&skuId=1147998

These pioneers are getting rave feed back from audiophiles for their price point. If you get them on sale they are an amazing deal.

There are lots of other internet direct companies too with the right deal you can get some good jamos from vanns.

If it were me, I always buy speakers first, and build around them. I'm running an old set of Klipsch 2.1. I had these for several years before I updated my sound card from inboard, to an M-Audio 7.1 Revo. The difference was very noticeable in a positive way.

Yeah, I going to use optical so i wont be using a sound card but speakers are next this was the ones i was looking at.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rc-42-ii-overview/ thats the center channel lol

as for front left and right here they are

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rb-41-ii-overview/

I love klipsch so :)

I bet the mids, and highs on those would be awesome. If you're not big into bass, I'm sure you'll be thrilled. It would be nice if they showed some specifications.

Yeah, i have energy esw m6 subwoofer to handle the low end lol

I think those speakers will be fine for me :)

I know you are looking at those Klipsh and I'm sure they are nice, I run Klipsh in my HT. However for the cost of the RB41s alone you could get a pair of Pioneer SP-BS41-LR Bookshelf Speakers ($200 shipped) and a Pioneer SP-C21 Center($80+shipping or pick-up in store). They've been getting good reviews on AVSforum.

They may not be equal to the Klipsch but they would be leaps and bounds better than what you have without breaking the bank. There is also a smaller set of Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Speakers($80+shipping or pick-up in store) that would be perfect for surrounds later.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS41-LR-2-way-bookshelf-speaker/dp/B0045US6DE
You can get the BS41 for 130 or less

Also some people consider them really good and I think it would come down to preference the kilipsch are gong to be really bright IMO. So for someone like me I would rather go with the pioneers at any cost. Actually for your price range you could buy 3 C21 center speakers and use them for left right and center that would be a pretty good setup.

I would also recomend just using the BS41 as the rears too since the cost difference is usually just $20 although I see them on sale right now at best buy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Would those sound better then the polk audio? Or be close to the klipsch?

Better is very subjective I really think each of these brands are just different. They are all really close in performance for the price range you are looking at. From my personal experience auditioning them at places that sell them the klipsch were the brightest almost to an annoying degree. The polks were good high and mid but some people may consider that too bright it was a good balance for me. The pioneers were the smoothest they produce really good sound very even. In my case the polks in cherry matched my wood and were good for me and the look of the place so I took them. I really did not like the look of the pioneers but I think I would have prefered the sound they produced slightly over the polk and definitely over the klipsch. The other thing is I could not guage the low frequency of the pioneer very well. I think the polk was better for going deeper.

Anyhow I think you are going to be really happy with any of these if you have never had a good sound system before and you are kind of lucky if you live in the US goto a best buy they have all 3 of these and you can audition them. They have the polk TSI400 which is the same as the monitor 60. I think they have the klipsch too at least they have some that might be close.
Also I noticed alot of these seem to be book shelf speakers if that is the case you want the monitor 40 from newegg. That would be the most comparable book shelf to these you have listed.

Ok, Thank you next time i go to best buy i will listen too all three and choose, i like the polks prices a lot better, they should be a mile better then my current speakers i would hope.

It can hit 800watts but rms is 200.

I use a surround sound system with e decorder on the rciver just a rca cable to the - on the back of that sub

Being honest that sub with surprise you its very powerfull

Yeah, I going to use optical so i wont be using a sound card but speakers are next this was the ones i was looking at.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rc-42-ii-overview/ thats the center channel lol

as for front left and right here they are

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rb-41-ii-overview/

I love klipsch so :)

When Klipsch updates a speaker line, they don't mess around.

This is a decent sub
Atlantic Technology SB-800 Subwoofer

or you can look for the

Klipsch HD Theater 300 Home Theater System

Last edited:
It can hit 800watts but rms is 200.

I use a surround sound system with e decorder on the rciver just a rca cable to the - on the back of that sub

Being honest that sub with surprise you its very powerfull
Do you think the AudioEngine A5 Powered BookShelf Speakers (line out) will be enough to power the Energy ESW-M6 800-Watt Mini Subwoofer?

setup would be: Laptop audio out (headphones) > AudioEngine A5 Powered BookShelf Speakers (line out) > Energy ESW-M6 800-Watt Mini Subwoofer

Im confused on what your doing are you trying too run a 2.1 setup? The Subwoofer has a built in amplifer so it powers its self its a active subwoofer not a passive subwoofer..

It also depends on your connecters?

When Klipsch updates a speaker line, they don't mess around.

This is a decent sub
Atlantic Technology SB-800 Subwoofer

or you can look for the

Klipsch HD Theater 300 Home Theater System

I already have a subwoofer and i really like it so but yes i do like those speakers from klipsch

Im confused on what your doing are you trying too run a 2.1 setup? The Subwoofer has a built in amplifer so it powers its self its a active subwoofer not a passive subwoofer..

It also depends on your connecters?
My main setup would be the AudioEngine A5 Powered BookShelf Speakers.
Just thought it would be nice to add another subwoofer (Energy ESW-M6 800-Watt Mini Subwoofer) to get more bass power.

That being said, the above setup will require me 2 audio output from my computer (laptop) to play both subwoofers simultaneously. Now my question is, is there anything to watch/consider with the said config.?

Laptop (headphones out) -> AudioEngine A5 (sub out) -> Energy ESW-M6 800-Watt Mini Subwoofer?

I'm no audophile but i dont see a problem with your setup. Being totaly honest the first thing you will notice about the sub is how small it is its really tiny. I only use if for my computer and its in a cornor below my desk I could take some pictures if you want me too? Its really suprising and i love having all three subs in one. some people dont even consider it a sub becuz it doesnt go down into 20-30hz ranges cuz of the driver sizes. I think having all three drivers gives off a fuller sound then just one. I havnt ever had a great single sub that energy is the best i have ever owned... but it is really good i think.. and it puts out lol

some people dont even consider it a sub becuz it doesnt go down into 20-30hz ranges cuz of the driver sizes. I think having all three drivers gives off a fuller sound then just one. I havnt ever had a great single sub that energy is the best i have ever owned... but it is really good i think.. and it puts out lol

Thats because it really isn't a subwoofer, its more of a mid-woofer. ;) 42Hz-200Hz frequency response is definitely in the mid-woofer range which is fine for most music. However for the cost of that cube($292 shipped @ Amazon) you'd be much better off getting something like this($329 shipped) if you are actually looking for a subwoofer. Its not much larger(ok, roughly 5" per side) but it goes a lot deeper without sacrificing sound quality or volume.

My main setup would be the AudioEngine A5 Powered BookShelf Speakers.
Just thought it would be nice to add another subwoofer (Energy ESW-M6 800-Watt Mini Subwoofer) to get more bass power.

That being said, the above setup will require me 2 audio output from my computer (laptop) to play both subwoofers simultaneously. Now my question is, is there anything to watch/consider with the said config.?

?

Do you already have a sub? If so, what is it? If not you would just do exactly what you said "Laptop (headphones out) -> AudioEngine A5 (sub out with a pair of RCA cables) -> Subwoofer. Most subwoofers have built in amps so your speakers are not powering them, they are just passing on the audio signal. Make sure when you do this that you set the cross-over on the back of the sub-amp to somewhere between 65-80Hz for use with the A5s

Last edited:
Back