New Storage System - Any Thoughts/Feedback?

Oooooo

My SM X8SIL finally arrived
And it is rev 1.02
:D

Now i can buy the cpu and memory

Thanks for all the updates mobilecommand. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this. Any final updates. Anything that you would change now that you have everything in your hot little hands?

Thanks again.....

I would give you a budget. A server for your needs should cost under $600 (plus the hard drives.)

Oooooo

My SM X8SIL finally arrived
And it is rev 1.02
:D

Now i can buy the cpu and memory

Just remember ECC memory. Use Supermicro's approved list. I initially tried not using approved memory... and of course... bad result.

Just remember ECC memory. Use Supermicro's approved list. I initially tried not using approved memory... and of course... bad result.

Theres no point on getting ECC, if you are going to use an i3. For ECC to work you must use a Xeon.

Also which memory did you use, because i use Gskill 1333 in my boards and they are working great.

I used two different G.Skill 1600 DDR3 types and neither worked... It could be the fact that it was 1600 not 1333, but the board didn't even post with an i3 or an i5. Just a long beep. Pulling the non-ECC memory got me the single repetitive no-memory beeps. I didn't feel like troubleshooting so I immediately ordered RAM that would work. I also ordered a Xeon last night though :)

Which memory did you use?

Yea you cannot run anything faster than 1333.

F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ

I have 5 of these kits, and im using a different SM board but i know when i tried some 1600 mem i had around it would not post.

i will probably use the kingston memory previously recommended
though before i order the kingston i will try the corsair from my main desktop

for cpu i will use an i3 core

Yea you cannot run anything faster than 1333.

F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ

I have 5 of these kits, and im using a different SM board but i know when i tried some 1600 mem i had around it would not post.

Great info. That's two data points on the 1600MHz memory. This is a bit odd to me since the X58 Tylersberg/ X58 based Supermicro X8ST3-F takes 1600MHz memory without an issue. I wonder why the Intel 3420 Ibex Peak does not clock the 1600MHz down. I've never had issues running DDR3 at lower than reccomended specs on X58, H55, and H55 platforms.

I would guess that its a BIOS limitation and not hardware, but its a guess at best.

finally got all the bits to build my SM X8SIL based server

X8SIL-F rev 1.02
(only took 3 1/2 months to arrive!)
CPU is an i3 core 530
(stock cooler)
memory is Crucial CT25672BA1339
(i decided to play it safe and buy memory from the SM approved list, and it was cheaper than the kingston memory)

works a treat
currently has win7 enterprise on whilst i have a play

now i need to figure out the IPMI

So, the i3-530 works with ECC, but the ECC functions are not enabled.

I will say, I really like the X34xx series CPU's. I have a Xeon X3440 in my X8SIL-F right now and just got a X3460.

Really nice CPU's since you do get decently low idle power consumption, not very high max power consumption, and ECC.

Last edited:
as mentioned above, if using an i3 CPU the ECC function of the memory is not available

i do not see any need for ECC and the i3 was considerably cheaper than an X34xx

i was merely passing on my experience as, for how amazing the X8SIL-F mobo is, it is a PITA with regard to memory and i3

mine has no problems whatsoever using the crucial memory and an i3
win7 enterprise 64bit reports the entire 4gig .... as it should

Thanks again to all for their input. Based upon all your input, I'm going to pull the trigger on this purchase over the next couple of days.
There's just one thing that I didn't get from all this....
I'm still attached to the idea of having an SSD as my OS Drive. I know there are recommendations against etc....However, based upon collected input, it's what I want to go with. Therefore, can anyone suggest the best buy for an SSD. I'm not attached to a particular size or type, I just want the best bang for the buck. My OS will be WHS. I will have plenty of harddrives for storage, therefore, this will primarily be for the OS and the occassional temp file for transcoding etc.

Thanks again to all for your input.

Thanks again to all for their input. Based upon all your input, I'm going to pull the trigger on this purchase over the next couple of days.
What's your final build list?
There's just one thing that I didn't get from all this....
I'm still attached to the idea of having an SSD as my OS Drive. I know there are recommendations against etc....However, based upon collected input, it's what I want to go with. Therefore, can anyone suggest the best buy for an SSD. I'm not attached to a particular size or type, I just want the best bang for the buck. My OS will be WHS. I will have plenty of harddrives for storage, therefore, this will primarily be for the OS and the occassional temp file for transcoding etc.
Pick up the Intel 80GB SSD and be done with it.

I'm tweaking a few minor things but overall my build is going to basically be what mobilecommand put together (i.e. case, motherboard, cpu, memory etc.). I'm adding a few things as well such as the SSD and Rack etc...
Thanks for the recommendation. I saw that the Intel 80gb was recommended in a few other posts as well. Just wanted to get the warm fuzzies on my decision....

Ok....1 more question. I haven't seen very many discussions about racks (especially for the home). Here are the 2 options that I was going to go with...

Startech 4 Post 25u
http://www.provantage.com/startech-4postrack25~7STRR014.htm
or
iStarUSA WO22AB 22U WO Open Frame Rack
http://www.istarusa.com/server_cabinet/open_frame_rack/22u/wo22ab.aspx

The Startech rack is about $100 less but I can't find any reviews etc. on it. The IstarUSA Rack is actually 'recommended (at least a link exists to it) on the AVS Forum Site.

I know that the Istarusa has casters but I can get the Startech with the casters from the same site for $30.00 extra.

As I said in the original post, I've built several home systems, but this is my first foray into home server (larger) sytems etc. Therefore, any input on these racks and/or accessories would be appreciated.

Thanks again to all for their input.

Hello,

Just wanted to add something if you plan on running vail remember the min spec for the HD has been increased to 160gig give or take a little.

So either pay now or pay later or get a cheap 250 gig laptop HD and swap out later when u get vail or SSD prices drop some.

Just my 2 cents

Ok....1 more question. I haven't seen very many discussions about racks (especially for the home). Here are the 2 options that I was going to go with...

Startech 4 Post 25u
http://www.provantage.com/startech-4postrack25~7STRR014.htm
or
iStarUSA WO22AB 22U WO Open Frame Rack
http://www.istarusa.com/server_cabinet/open_frame_rack/22u/wo22ab.aspx

The Startech rack is about $100 less but I can't find any reviews etc. on it. The IstarUSA Rack is actually 'recommended (at least a link exists to it) on the AVS Forum Site.

I know that the Istarusa has casters but I can get the Startech with the casters from the same site for $30.00 extra.

As I said in the original post, I've built several home systems, but this is my first foray into home server (larger) sytems etc. Therefore, any input on these racks and/or accessories would be appreciated.

Thanks again to all for their input.

Your best bet for buying a rack is Craigslist. In most cities, you can find very nice racks of all sizes and configurations for 1/10th of what you would pay brand new. Ebay sometimes has good deals, but shipping will almost always wipe out the savings.

Startech and IstarUSA are of comparable quality. The things you need to look for are: (1) that it is a standard 19" rack (most are, but make sure); (2) whether it has round or square holes (I prefer round for home use, but either will work); and (3) that the depth and height work for your space and your components (e.g. the popular Norco cases are 25.5" deep, so with cables and breathing space, you want a rack that is at least 30" deep)--not so much of an issue with an open 4 post rack. Also, sliding rails are really nice to have. Your server will be very heavy when all is said and done. If you have to take it completely out of the rack every time you need to work on it, you will hate yourself. As an alternative to sliding rails, I am a fan of the fixed rails that you sit your case on. Here's a link to what I am talking about.

Having a rack for your computers is really nice. You'll appreciate the convenience.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well....once again this forum has saved me from making a poor choice. Obviously, the price for the 160gb SSD is a bit high right now for what you get (at least in my opinion). After reading up on the recommended hybrid drive, it sounds like that would be the perfect compromise with the appropriate flexibility for Speed/ Vail / Price.
As for the Rack, the info. is appreciated. It looks like on most of the features (i.e. round vs. square holes etc.) it's a wash. Therefore, based upon my research (and mostly 'gut' feel), I think I'll go with the Startech rack. It will save me a few bucks and it also appears to be a bit sturdier (looking). Anyone know if these rails will work with the norco. http://www.provantage.com/startech-rmcrails~7STRR00H.htm I'll probably end up calling Startech to ask if nobody knows/has experience with them. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

an open question, and kind of related to this thread...

does the system drive for WHS need to be uber fast?
afterall, the physical data to which the tombstones refer resides on other drives (the pool drives)

thoughts?

I don't think the OS drive needs to be that fast, but the XT is faster than a new Velociraptor and has pretty low power usage. A good compromise overall.

Anyone know if these rails will work with the norco. http://www.provantage.com/startech-rmcrails~7STRR00H.htm I'll probably end up calling Startech to ask if nobody knows/has experience with them. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Those rails should work fine, but they are only 24" fully extended. That means the case will be able to slide most of the way out, but there will be a few inches that are inaccessible. With an open rack, that may not be too much of an issue. I would go with the Norco RL-26 rails instead. That way you know the rails are 100% compatible with the case and you will be able to pull the case out completely. Plus, they seem to be a little cheaper.
Link

Just ordered one of these motherboards for a low power server build. Thanks for the info.

All,
Thanks again to all for their advice. I have finally ordered all the parts. Let the building begin (Media Server and HTPC). I will post pictures/updates when I can. I just wanted to say that mobilecommand's suggestion to go with the custom cables was even easier than I was made to believe. I called Frozencpu, spoke with a rep who was extremely helpful and got the cables ordered, no muss, no fuss.
So far, so good.

I'm building a similar setup and wanted to know if i went with software RAID 6 with 6 2TB drives will there be enough throughput (drive read/write) to serve 2-5 media streamers playing BluRay at the same time?

I'll be teaming / load balancing the 2 intel NICs for added throughput on the network side.

Back