New Sugo SG02B-F build list:

rei

Limp Gawd
How's this? ($CAD)

$080 Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F (black)
$200 eVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 55nm 868MB (-$20 rebate)
$080 OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W PSU (-$20 rebate)
$020 Scythe Kama FLEX 80mm case fans (2..3 if the video card doesn't obstruct the rear of the HD coming out of the HD cage somehow but I doubt it)
$065 Mushkin EM2-6400 2x2GB DDR2
$035 LG SATA burner (black)
$080 WD Caviar Green 1TB 32MB cache
$040 Scythe Shuriken rev.B low-profile CPU HSF
$140 Gigabyte EG45M-UD2H socket 775 mATX
$240 Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400

From research I'm pretty sure it should fit.

I'm not a fan of the ModXStream Pro 600W. (Personally, I'm not a fan of any OCZ-branded PSU that isn't made by PC Power & Cooling.) If you can afford it, I recommend getting either the Corsair HX520 or HX620.

Which store(s) are you buying everything from? Have you considered an AMD build based off of one of its new Phenom II processors?

For one of those, should the 2 80mm fans be set to suck air out the vents or blow in?

I'm going to put together a build with a GTX 260 50nm which may prevent the HD cage from being used.

This question could be answered here. Most people (including myself, when I used the SG01) had the top fans blowing out.

But why get the SG02-F if you can't fit the GTX 260 in there? IIRC, the GTX 260 is 10.5 inches long and the SG02-F can support up to 12 inch cards.

If your main concern is gaming I would get an E8400 or E8500 for roughly the same price, unless you plan on using some multitreaded apps that would take advantage of the four cores.

It'll be from Memory Express. I've had a few HX520 and 620s in previous system so I'm also a fan. I just thought I'd stick with a budget on this build. Q8400 will be used for VMware.

I tried the StealthXstream a while back and it wasn't quiet, returning it for a HX520.

But why get the SG02-F if you can't fit the GTX 260 in there? IIRC, the GTX 260 is 10.5 inches long and the SG02-F can support up to 12 inch cards.

Wait, what? 10.5 is less than 12--so doesn't it mean it will fit? What do you mean if I can't fit the 260 in there?

Or I could downgrade it to a GTS 250 which would allow the HD cage and all 3 fans to be used?

Had to substitute a Corsair HX520 since the OCZ one was out of stock and put down my deposit.

The Corsair is a very good PSU, you won't be disappointed. Almost everyone loves it.

Wait, what? 10.5 is less than 12--so doesn't it mean it will fit? What do you mean if I can't fit the 260 in there?

You're right; it doesn't make sense.

What I was trying to say was that the GTX 260 should be able to fit inside the case without you having to remove the HDD cage.

Take a look at the pictures from the NewEgg product page to see what I mean.

You're right; it doesn't make sense.

What I was trying to say was that the GTX 260 should be able to fit inside the case without you having to remove the HDD cage.

Take a look at the pictures from the NewEgg product page to see what I mean.

Thanks. I found out that the Gigabyte mobo has a slot 1 position for the PCIE2.0 slot so it MY block the HD cage. I am going tomorrow to switch my order to the Asus P5QL-EM because the full length 16x PCIE is the second slot after the small PCIE1x.

got it tonight.

the silverstone fan it comes with is loud as hell and apparently isn't plugged into a header where i can dial down the speed. the 80mm scythe flex fan i picked out apparently doesn't fit there they say so either the hd cage fan gets unplugged completely or i find something that fits.

the store also installed an e8400 instead of a q8400. i guess i'll go and get my $30 difference ($200 vs $230) back instead of having them reseat things and install the quad.

onboard sound on the p5ql-em has static/interference if using front connector. seems ok using the rear output.

onboard sound on the p5ql-em has static/interference if using front connector. seems ok using the rear output.

I think it's the case and not the board, I have the same problem. My headphones have inline volume adjustment, if I turn down the volume on the headphones and turn up the sound level in Windows the interference isn't as bad.

It's much quieter when I replace the god-awful loud Silverstone 80mm at the front of the HD cage with a 1500rpm Scythe Kama Flex. I originally paid for 3 of the 80mm Scythe case fans for assembly but found it strange they sold it to me with 2 of them installed, saying the third "didn't fit." After some investigation myself...

Sure, it fits but the HD cage isn't removable (on the -F, apparently it was on the SG02) you need tiny Asian hands (which I have) to stick a long screwdriver in to get the screws out. It's been a long time since I bled all over the inside of a case but the metal on the inside of the HD cage cut my knuckle without even noticing after 30 minutes fumbling with the thing.

I can see why the store installer guy probably didn't try too hard.

The Asus P5QL-EM only has 2 fan headers that are controlled by Q-Fan so that leaves 1 I have to stick through a 5v fan adapter or a Zalman Fanmate.

With all the vents and the HD not installed separated from the case in any way (by grommets or isolation) the seek/access vibrations of the WD Green Caviar (normally a quiet drive) are fairly noticeable and a quite annoying. No optical, might put one in later along with another 1TB WD Green or get a Scythe 5.25" enclosure and put the 3.5" in one of the 5.25" bays.

Need to test further, but doesn't appear to be noise through front panel output if it connects to a PCI X-Fi XtremeGamer. The noise I heard using the onboard was squealing/static coinciding with file copy/data access etc.

For video card, GTX 260 Core 216 fan noise is acceptable at 25% or on Auto in 2D.

Overall, this thing is inoffensive with the Scythe noise but nowhere as silent as my SPCR-approved SilenT3 system. I'm generally pleased with a subdued cube for gaming. Nowhere near silent though.

Thanks. I found out that the Gigabyte mobo has a slot 1 position for the PCIE2.0 slot so it MY block the HD cage. I am going tomorrow to switch my order to the Asus P5QL-EM because the full length 16x PCIE is the second slot after the small PCIE1x.

If you are talking about the EG45M-UD2H, the PCIE 2.0 slot is #2. Not #1.

Damn, the WD Caviar Green grinds loudly in this case. Same model HDs are relatively quiet in a Mediasonic ProBox enclosure.

Back