New super fast Asus router, RT 66U "Black Knight" coming out

Honestly, I'm not well experienced or knowledgeable in networking. Would someone care to explain how this might be useful for home use as compared to a lesser modem, i.e., ASUS RT-N16 - DD-WRT? Do the people who own this (or n56u) also pay for high speed internet - say, 100Mbps? I'm not sure what the advantages are, and am honestly interested about these sorts of routers.

It's a "router"...not a "modem".

Ability to handle higher loads
Ability to handle more concurrent connections
Dual radio..so if you have multiple mixed generation wireless devices....you can run two separate wireless networks and have better performance and a dedicated N network.

Haven't seen an in depth review of the firmware features yet...so a good features comparison cannot be done yet.

It's probably not going to be a huge step better than the 56U...but if you compare the Asus 56 to the Asus 16...you'll get an idea.

Asus 56
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-dual-band-gigabit-wireless-n-router-reviewed

Asus 16
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31058-asus-rt-n16-gigabit-n-router-reviewed

reviews on amazon saying it ships with some real crappy firmware...

Yeah been reading the early version was crummy, they have updated/fixed firmware out already which you can install.

Tim at SmallNetBuilder was supposed to get one shipped to him a day or two ago for his testing, so I'm looking forward to his review of it soon.

love my N56U! if I needed another router I would definitely pick up the 66U...

Yeah been reading the early version was crummy, they have updated/fixed firmware out already which you can install.

Tim at SmallNetBuilder was supposed to get one shipped to him a day or two ago for his testing, so I'm looking forward to his review of it soon.

I'm waiting for Tim's review before pulling the trigger. Would like to replace my DIR-655.

I love my N56U with the custom firmware, too. The recent HW-NAT acceleration has been excellent. I wonder if its possible to have IPv6 support added to the custom firmware or if ASUS could release a new version that has it built-in.

But because of the new processor platform, some features are, uh, a work in progress. Folks in the SNB Forums have been complaining most about the non-functional DLNA server, which I verified does not work. Others would like NAT loopback to work so that they can access LAN-side servers, or even the built-in AiDisk function, via DDNS domain names or at least WAN IP addresses. Right now, you need to use the LAN IP when you are accessing a server from the LAN.

why cant maker ship items that work, this whole"lets releases half arsed working products" is getting old!

I want to pre-order one, but until I get it, all I have is my Linksys 54 t-mobile model that has almost no wireless throughput and I have to stay really close to the router. I really wish this was out.

Glad I saw this thread... Been doing some browsing and I will definitely buy this bad boy.

My current DDWRT Linksys 54G router isn't enough anymore with my local video streaming of HD content.

So now that this sucker has been out for a bit... any change in the problems? new firmwares to fix the release problems?

i am literally clicks away from ordering one....

My RTN56U is using Padavans' current FW - I don't see me buying the 66U, any-time soon.

Nice router but no way in hell it will beat my new "Cisco 1921 Integrated Services Router" haha. Of course I paid $989.00 for it with the Security Licensing and TAC agreement.

Anyways this is a very nice unit however nice it might be it does not support 802.1q. So no way will it work in my network. I VLAN everything.

Nice router but no way in hell it will beat my new "Cisco 1921 Integrated Services Router" haha. Of course I paid $989.00 for it with the Security Licensing and TAC agreement.

+1 for that. I love my 1921 paired up with a 2960 for switching. Trick is knowing someone who works for/or owns a Cisco Gold certified partner/re-seller. I paid $585 for my 1921. ;-)

But I REALLY like the performance of RT-N66U as an AP!! It seems I'm getting an average of 360Mbps under WPA2 AES on the 5Ghz channel. Working better than my E4200V1 for sure. Web pages seem to load faster and streaming multimedia also seems snappier.

i just don't see comparing a $500 router to a $200 router really, i would expect it to be alot better for that price...

i just don't see comparing a $500 router to a $200 router really, i would expect it to be alot better for that price...

Yeah those replies cracked me up. Really...someone has to state that a 200 dollar home grade router can't compare to their full business grade router?

Hey...we also need to clarify that an Asus netbook with an Atom and 1 gig of RAM cannot go toe to toe with a Lenovo T400 with an i5 and 8 gigs of RAM!!!

Yeah those replies cracked me up. Really...someone has to state that a 200 dollar home grade router can't compare to their full business grade router?

Hey...we also need to clarify that an Asus netbook with an Atom and 1 gig of RAM cannot go toe to toe with a Lenovo T400 with an i5 and 8 gigs of RAM!!!

No the whole point we were making was....

We already have badass business routers so there would be no reason to replace what we have. Not comparing the two. Obviously the $200 router is not going to compare to the business router. It was the point of saying "I would totally get this router, IF it were NOT for my already previously purchased business router".

Some of ya'll folks take things a little out of context. As a matter of fact I have decided I am going to replace my Netgear 3700, used as an access point, with this as an access point. They are looking that good for my home network at this point.

It's okay to read between the lines a little.

i really wanted one of these, but i found a V1 WNDR3700 Netgear for $50 and couldn't pass that up

No the whole point we were making was....

We already have badass business routers so there would be no reason to replace what we have. Not comparing the two. Obviously the $200 router is not going to compare to the business router. It was the point of saying "I would totally get this router, IF it were NOT for my already previously purchased business router".

Some of ya'll folks take things a little out of context. As a matter of fact I have decided I am going to replace my Netgear 3700, used as an access point, with this as an access point. They are looking that good for my home network at this point.

It's okay to read between the lines a little.

Why would you use a router for an AP if you are buying a new router to use? If you are buying new, why not get an actual decent AP like a Unifi or something? Check out the Unifi Pro. Much better purchase than the ASUS if you are just going to be using it for an AP.

Why would you use a router for an AP if you are buying a new router to use? If you are buying new, why not get an actual decent AP like a Unifi or something? Check out the Unifi Pro. Much better purchase than the ASUS if you are just going to be using it for an AP.

Thanks, ill check it out.

As for your question because it just looks cool, DDWRT capable, and another member mentioned the reported bandwidth it was putting out was VERY high for wireless N. But I will check out the one you recommend.

WOW. Unify Pro looks awesome. I am really looking at this thing now. Asus looks cool and all but nothing compared to this Unify Pro system that is only $249 avg

Given the reception that the Unifi AP's and the AP-LR's got, I wonder how long I'm going to have to wait to get a Pro...The original and LR's are still OOS at most vendors.

Given the reception that the Unifi AP's and the AP-LR's got, I wonder how long I'm going to have to wait to get a Pro...The original and LR's are still OOS at most vendors.

We finally got stock in from FAB and picked up another 3-pak box.

We finally got stock in from FAB and picked up another 3-pak box.

I originally personally got one about a month after they came out, had no problems. I think once they gained popularity and people saw what they are capable of doing they sold like crazy. It took us about 2 months just to get 12 of them for a deployment at work here. The Pro looks sweet though. I think $250 is MSRP so it could be even cheaper. Some people in the forums over there say it could be $180.

∞Velocitymaster∞;1038567677 said:
To bad most of the US don't have speeds even up to 100 Mbps to take advantage this toy. Need more fiber MAN!

Quickly going away..Docsis 3 and fiber are spreading like wildfire....it's all around my area.

Quickly going away..Docsis 3 and fiber are spreading like wildfire....it's all around my area.

True for the most part but mostly in and around big city metropolitan area in the US. I live in Northern VA and I have Fios with 35/35 and I got a Sonicwall TZ 210. VA, NJ and NY have the fastest overall internet in the county.

∞Velocitymaster∞;1038568995 said:
True for the most part but mostly in and around big city metropolitan area in the US. I live in Northern VA and I have Fios with 35/35 and I got a Sonicwall TZ 210. VA, NJ and NY have the fastest overall internet in the county.

Uhm..I dont' live in VA NJ or NY nor do I live in a big city/metro area. I live in southeast Connecticut. Right now I'm working onsite at a client in Norwich CT....hardly a "big city/metropolitan area"...and I'm on a huge fat Comcast pipe...yup, 100/10 is avail here. We have quite a few other clients around the state on 50 and 100 meg Comcast pipes. Time Warner/RR in western part of the state and around NY have had equally fat pipes for a while now.

A tiny little state called Rhode Island..east of me..charter had rolled out their 100 meg pipes.
North of me...100 meg pipes.

Me thinks you have to catch up with the news....over the past 2 years it's exploded in lots of areas in the country..especially in the past 1 year. I've upgraded lots of my clients to Docsis 3 recently. Yeah there are areas where they're still stuck in the 6 and 8 meg max range...bummers...but that's the same all over the world, there will always be areas behind the times.

Uhm..I dont' live in VA NJ or NY nor do I live in a big city/metro area. I live in southeast Connecticut. Right now I'm working onsite at a client in Norwich CT....hardly a "big city/metropolitan area"...and I'm on a huge fat Comcast pipe...yup, 100/10 is avail here. We have quite a few other clients around the state on 50 and 100 meg Comcast pipes. Time Warner/RR in western part of the state and around NY have had equally fat pipes for a while now.

A tiny little state called Rhode Island..east of me..charter had rolled out their 100 meg pipes.
North of me...100 meg pipes.

Me thinks you have to catch up with the news....over the past 2 years it's exploded in lots of areas in the country..especially in the past 1 year. I've upgraded lots of my clients to Docsis 3 recently. Yeah there are areas where they're still stuck in the 6 and 8 meg max range...bummers...but that's the same all over the world, there will always be areas behind the times.

he said SonicWall Tz210 :(

Middle of Central IL (200 mi South of Chicago), and have a couple clients on 100mb pipes. It's pretty much all over Comcast's territory now, which means almost everywhere...

The biggest pipe around my area? 15/1.5 cable, 7/1 dsl and it's over suscribed. Broadband is not as prolific as people think.

Anyways lets get back on topic.....

So did anyone flash DDWRT and if so how do you like it?

I have looked at Unifi however the price does not justify my actual needs. I do not need a system as powerful as unify if the Asus can provide great wifi for my home at a hundred less.

I just do not need the router portion.

Back