New super fast Asus router, RT 66U "Black Knight" coming out

So just buy 1 UniFI unit. Vendors break up the 3-packs and sell singles all the time. Either that or look at some of the Engenius AP's. If you don't need the routing capabilities, then don't buy the wrong box and shoe-horn it into your scenario.:D

DDWRT is a great effort at custom firmware for the consumer router scene. Unfortunately its biggest downfall is being crippled by the crappy hardware it was created to help fix.

Okay lets get this conversation back on this router.

I would like to ask owners of the RTN66u to provide some feedback/reviews on the wifi performance of these devices.

What kind of performance do you get in the following areas:

Most importantly what kind of wifi nic are you using i.e. 2x2 mimo/ 3x3 mimo?

2.4ghz
5 ghz
N
G
Signal strength
How fast do you actually connect
How fast do you actually transfer files at
Gaming latency
anything else?

Okay lets get this conversation back on this router.

I would like to ask owners of the RTN66u to provide some feedback/reviews on the wifi performance of these devices.

What kind of performance do you get in the following areas:

Most importantly what kind of wifi nic are you using i.e. 2x2 mimo/ 3x3 mimo?

2.4ghz
5 ghz
N
G
Signal strength
How fast do you actually connect
How fast do you actually transfer files at
Gaming latency
anything else?

Ton of those questions answered here
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37
The official review by Tim, and many people in those forums that went and bought the unit.

I am also waiting for amazon or someone to get this back in stock. I had to upgrade my router recently and went with the 56U since the 66U was not in stock at amazon or newegg. Setup was not flawless but got everything setup and running smoothly or so I thought. Anyone know what would cause AIM to disconnect and reconnect about once an hour or more? It seemed like I lost connection on streaming video at the same time but not positive.

This pc is hard wired and I didnt have issues with my old linksys. I updated the FW to the latest version and it made no difference.

Last edited:
Frys
Microcenter

Both have them in stock.

I got mine at Frys the other day for 179.99. This thing sends a signal out so strong and clear that you think your wifi was coming from a Pulsar Star. I really cant wait to get this thing on a stable DDWRT. This is one nice router. It runs really hot btw. Like really hot. I put a 5v USB powered cooling fan on a stand next to it to keep her cool and now there is no heat to the touch.

I think I am going to take mine back. It is a nice router but its way over priced for me wanting to use it as an AP. I think I will be good with a cheaper model form someone else.

Took it back. Was highly overpriced and not justifiable for just an AP. I decided to wait on unifi pro to come out.

What kind of third party firmware supports this router?

I have decided to wait on Unifi AP Pro to come out hopefully in the next few days.

I would rather have the pro. Supposed to have real PoE and 3x3 and dual band and a host of other cool features that the regular AP doesnt have.

Eh, just said this in another thread...but what the hell. Picked one up tonight at Frys cuz my WRT-600N pooped out. I'm pretty impressed by the N66U so far. Haven't done any tests on it, but the firmware impresses me enough that I might not even bother with DD-WRT this time, the stock config screens give you a lot of things that I had in DD-WRT. About the only thing that might change my mind next month is, my favorite feature in DD-WRT is keeping track of the bandwidth and being able to go back and look at the numbers from past months. The N66U monitors bandwidth, but I'll have to see how good a job it does. (maybe that info is out on forums, this was sort of a rush job picking out a new router to get)

So is this basically THE enthusiast router of choice if I had money to burn?

So is this basically THE enthusiast router of choice if I had money to burn?

Buffalo Is Shipping Draft 802.11ac Router, Bridge Today

Well it was until yesterday...

1952345129.png

I think we'd have to see a couple reviews first to determine that. I guess I should clarify, is the RT-66U the best one with the least amount of issues for a good price? The last two "high end" routers I've purchased both overheat and have been annoying as hell.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...buffalo-wzr-d1800h-airstation-reviewed-part-1

First real review of draft 802.11ac Buffalo WZR-D1800H linked above!;)

I'm more than happy with the RT-N66U and the fact I can use third-party firmware. The build quality beats run of the mill consumer grade wireless routers with the oversized internal heatsink and mine has never hiccuped due to the heat. Runnin' Shibby's Tomato firmware w/OpenVPN server and getting great upload/download speeds!:D

1955026788.png

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...buffalo-wzr-d1800h-airstation-reviewed-part-1

First real review of draft 802.11ac Buffalo WZR-D1800H linked above!;)

I'm more than happy with the RT-N66U and the fact I can use third-party firmware. The build quality beats run of the mill consumer grade wireless routers with the oversized internal heatsink and mine has never hiccuped due to the heat. Runnin' Shibby's Tomato firmware w/OpenVPN server and getting great upload/download speeds!:D

1955026788.png

Haha nice I just looked yesterday too. Yeah I'm basically sold on the RT-66U, especially for the 3G card support. I've had my provider go down and I wished I could easily just plug in my aircard and use it for everyone without re-configuring. Sadly they are all sold out locally. :(

Okay so I've tried to get one of these, but they're sold out locally. Then I realized the N56U seems to be mostly the same device really and since wireless is a secondary concern I figured I'd give it a shot and save $50. Now is the part where you tell me NO go get the 66U instead because of that one thing that I'm not thinking of. Is the only real tangible difference here the 450/450 wireless speeds?

If you're not interested in the usual suspects for 3rd party firmware (Tomato, dd-wrt) then ok. The 56 is nice looking, but I kind of have a preference for external antennas for positioning, and if I ever wanted (I doubt I will), I can easily replace those antennas with other antennas.

Other than those cases, I don't know enough about the 56 to say nay, I'd look at reviews online and if it seems ok, and you don't need things that I mentioned, it should work fine. I don't know what the signal quality is like on the 56, but 66U is the best signal I've had of any router.

If you're not interested in the usual suspects for 3rd party firmware (Tomato, dd-wrt) then ok. The 56 is nice looking, but I kind of have a preference for external antennas for positioning, and if I ever wanted (I doubt I will), I can easily replace those antennas with other antennas.

Other than those cases, I don't know enough about the 56 to say nay, I'd look at reviews online and if it seems ok, and you don't need things that I mentioned, it should work fine. I don't know what the signal quality is like on the 56, but 66U is the best signal I've had of any router.

The two things I wonder about the most is whether or not the range is as good as the 66, and if they are going to stop keeping the 56 up to date now that the 66 is out.

Closing Thoughts
There is both good and bad news for those itching to run out and buy a draft 11ac router. The good is that, when paired with its WLI-H4-D1300 partner, the WZR-D1800H can produce almost 450 Mbps of aggregate throughput when handling multiple clients. Even better, though, its that the pair can produce around 100 Mbps of usable throughput at my weakest signal test point for a single test client!

This is more bandwidth than I've ever seen available from any other 5 GHz wireless product and may even be capable of sustaining a trouble-free 1080p HD video stream. The catch, however, are the large and long throughput dropouts that I saw in many of my tests. So unless your HD streaming player has some decent buffering, you may still be out of luck! I will have to give HD streaming a shot in the coming weeks, after I clear out some of my review backlog.

The bad news is that you'll need to spend almost $400 to run the above experiment. And the more practical bad news is that the WZR-D1800H isn't a particularly good simultaneous dual-band three-stream N ("N900") router. If that is what you're looking for, you may be better off spending about the same price and picking up an ASUS RT-N66U.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...h-airstation-reviewed-part-2?showall=&start=3

Good News! Looks like we don't have to trade in the 802.11n for 802.11ac just yet!;)

Give it time. AC is just out. It will take a little while to mature and when it does we will have the quality of the black knight router using these protocols.

Back