new system help .. power supply bad?

onebelo

Weaksauce
putting together a new pc and having problems getting it to stay on and it doesnt POST or show anything on the screen. i got the Antec P150 case with the NeoPS that it comes with. Ive been reading that the power supply shipped with the case is bad but i decided to take the risk anyway. i shouldve known better right? :D

when i turn it on, itll come on for couple second and turns right off. If i unplug the power conector to the dvdrw, then it will stay on longer (maybe a min or two) and then eventually shut off. It doesnt POST though and nothing comes on the screen. I will go get another power supply locally to test it out after work tomorrow. Hopefully that'll solve the problem but who knowsssss. Any chance that there could be damage to cpu? mobo? vid card?

Seems like everytime i build pc for myself, something always doesnt work the first time. but when i build for others, everything goes smoothly lol ..

System Specs:
Antec P150 / 430w PS
Asus P5WD2 Premium
Intel 920 with Thermalright SI-120
pqi turbo 2x1gb
ATI X1800XL
Seagate 7000.9 SATAII
Plextor 16x DVDRW/DL

Try building it on a non-conductive surface, as it's possible the mobo is shorting out on something.

But yes, PSU is one of the most important parts of any good build. Poor quality power can not only dampen performance, but it can flat out destroy components. Go with a tried and true PSU. The power supplies forum has a tremendous amount of knowledge on PSU's, give it a check.

Sorry to hear about the bad news. :( If it's any consolation, I recently dropped my laptop off the desk and the damn thing blew apart. heh. Sometimes bad things just happen.

::EDIT:: Damn, totally didn't answer the question. It's possible taht damage has occured, but it's more likely that you'll replace the PSU and everythign will work properly. :)

yeah once you are sure its the PSU call Antec and tell them, I'm sure they will replace it. My experiences with there customer support have been good. Good luck.
:)

got a hold of a antec sp-500 today and tested it and i was able to get into BIOS. however, i did get message 'cpu fan error' even though the cpu fan is working.

on the asus mobo, there is a 4pin for cpu fan with 4th pin being for the hw monitoring. but the 120mm panoflo fan i got for the heatsink is only 3pin. could that be the reason why im getting the error msg? also, i notice in BIOS, the cpu temp was in the 80-90C :eek: .. im hoping that the reading is wrong because i dont have a 4pin cpu fan? will i be okay with the 3pin fan or should i get a 4pin one?

ps: p150 case sucks for removing the power supply. i have to take off the cpu hsf :mad: .. also, the antec sp-500 has dual fans, the one on the outside doesnt seem to run while the one in the inside works. why is that? :confused:

update: after reseating and re-applying the AS5, it seems like i still cant get a good contact between the core and hsf. so i stuck the stock HSF on there and temp seems to be better but not great. its in the 50-60C. ill keep it that way for now to install XP and stuff on there and go from there ...

also, what kinda screws do i need to install 92mm fans in front of the case since it didnt seem to come with any?

Well, the SmartPower 500 will only use one fan when not under a load. When it heats up then the second one should kick on. That is very hot for the CPU. How much AS5 did u use? Did you get all the old AS5 off good? Typically the screws come with the fan, if not just find any screws that will work at a hardware store.

I'm not sure on the CPU fan pins. Hopefully someone else can chime in there.

Lately ASUS motherboards and Antec PSUs havent been playing well together. Mostly I just think thats its the NeoHE versions and the ASUS boards but hopefully this SP500 will keep working for you. :)

Back